Music: Dinosaur Jr show

Johnny Coli

I caught the Dino Jr show last night (in Boston) with the original lineup of J, Lou and Murph. After the Bills' loss it was good to go out to a club and get the memory of that game obliterated by some loud rock. They didn't disappoint, as it was good and loud. I'm not a huge fan of guitar solos or effects pedals (or earplugs), but I've always liked the way J attacks the guitar, not coaxing out a good lead, but assaulting it.

Anyway, I'm too tired and hung over to put together a review of the show that would do it any justice, but it was video-taped for an eventual DVD release. Like I said, standing a few feet away from a couple of Marshall stacks as J brutalizes a Fender Mustang and Lou and him scream about swans and bugs in jars was what I needed.

Nice! One of my favorite bands of all time- J Mascis is sick at guitar! One of my favorite albums ever is Where You Been? My favorite Dinasaur Jr song is Not You Again. Glad to see someone else appreciates Dinasaur Jr. I know Gringo Star digs Dinasaur Jr too

BTW my buddy grew up with Evan Dando and is still tight with him. Murph is a buddy of his as well. Hes got lots of storys about them and the Boston scene-Dinasaur Jr, Lemonheads, Heretix, Smack Melon, Mary Lou Lord, Sebadoh,

I caught the show this summer in Atlanta. Excellent.

J is insane with the volume. He'll stand right in front of the stack and actually stick his ear against the speaker. I don't know how a human ear can withstand that. Then again, I kind of suspected he was from outer space since the first time I heard him play.