Importance of Eric Moulds

Peter

For some reason, there are people on this board who want to hang Eric Moulds in effigy. I suspect that it has something to do with him (reportedly) believing the obvious earlier in the season (JP was not ready).

EM has been a great player for the Bills. He signed a reasonable contract with the Bills to stay a Buffalo Bill when he could have left when Wiley left. Yet, he wanted to stay with the team. He said that he wanted to finish his career with the Bills.

In any event, because of him, the other receivers have done better than they would have otherwise (read "not so Peerless Price").

The same was true yesterday. According to the paper, whenever he was in the game, the Dolphins concentrated on defending him by rolling coverage toward him. That opened things up for Lee Evans and others.

Get a grip guys. This is no time trash one of the better players to play with the Bills.

It is obvious that he would like to end his career with the Bills (at least before this past week). Now we have management playing games with the media regarding him. Unlike management, he took the high road after the game and said he did not want to make any comments and be a distraction to the team.

Everyone knows that he is not going to make the money that is stipulated in his contract for next year. He will take a market contract with the Bills or be with some other team.

This fratricide has got to stop.

For some reason, there are people on this board who want to hang Eric Moulds in effigy.  I suspect that it has something to do with him (reportedly) believing the obvious earlier in the season (JP was not ready).

EM has been a great player for the Bills.  He signed a reasonable contract with the Bills to stay a Buffalo Bill when he could have left when Wiley left.  Yet, he wanted to stay with the team.  He said that he wanted to finish his career with the Bills.

In any event, because of him, the other receivers have done better than they would have otherwise (read "not so Peerless Price"). 

The same was true yesterday.  According to the paper, whenever he was in the game, the Dolphins concentrated on defending him by rolling coverage toward him.  That opened things up for Lee Evans and others.

Get a grip guys.  This is no time trash one of the better players to play with the Bills.

It is obvious that he would like to end his career with the Bills (at least before this past week).  Now we have management playing games with the media regarding him.  Unlike management, he took the high road after the game and said he did not want to make any comments and be a distraction to the team.

Everyone knows that he is not going to make the money that is stipulated in his contract for next year.  He will take a market contract with the Bills or be with some other team.

520939[/snapback]

Agreed...JP commented during the Post Game that Miami rolled Coverage to EM the whole entire game...I know Eric got frustrated, but he's not the one to blame for yesterdays debacle...

You just have to ask yourself why this HC is having SO many problems getting Players to buy into the Plan...There is a reason for this...Mularkey simply does not instill the type of respect necessary for a HC to be successful in the NFL...He just does not have it...Half the time I hear MM talk, he's so wishy-washy I wonder if even he believes...Players know this...Think it's any coincidence EM brought up the comments about being a Smash-Mouth Offense? He knows...He knows this HC and The Organizatin as a whole is living a lie...Smash Mouth? :( EM knows the Playbook, he see's what is being called...he knows Folks...

Mularkey has lost this Team already...Now we need to lose that loser... :(

For some reason, there are people on this board who want to hang Eric Moulds in effigy.  I suspect that it has something to do with him (reportedly) believing the obvious earlier in the season (JP was not ready).

EM has been a great player for the Bills.  He signed a reasonable contract with the Bills to stay a Buffalo Bill when he could have left when Wiley left.  Yet, he wanted to stay with the team.  He said that he wanted to finish his career with the Bills.

The same was true yesterday.  According to the paper, whenever he was in the game, the Dolphins concentrated on defending him by rolling coverage toward him.  That opened things up for Lee Evans and others.

Get a grip guys.  This is no time trash one of the better players to play with the Bills.

It is obvious that he would like to end his career with the Bills (at least before this past week).  Now we have management playing games with the media regarding him.  Unlike management, he took the high road after the game and said he did not want to make any comments and be a distraction to the team.

Everyone knows that he is not going to make the money that is stipulated in his contract for next year.  He will take a market contract with the Bills or be with some other team.

520939[/snapback]

could not agree more. This guy will be a start for some other team next year...and that's sad. I think he has 2-3 years left in him at the Pro Bowl level...

could not agree more.  This guy will be a start for some other team next year...and that's sad.  I think he has 2-3 years left in him at the Pro Bowl level...

520957[/snapback]

Philly or NE will gladly take him off MM's hands. :(

Philly or NE will gladly take him off MM's hands.  :(

520963[/snapback]

Yes. And guess what? We will learn yet again what these players meant to this team. Moreover, the same guys who are calling for the Bills to get rid of them will then call these guys traitors.

The Bills are a better team with EM and NC than they would be without them.

520939[/snapback]

I didn't like those comments, but I don't want to hang him in effigy. He's just not close to good value for the money, and he'll only get older, not better.

Anyways, it's too late now... everyone better get ready to say goodbye, cause he's gone. :(

520939[/snapback]

Ugh!

As I stated in the other EM thread, EM is the vestige of many failed experiments. Sucks for EM, but he has now become bitter and a resistor of change. He has to go for that reason and for cap reasons.

I also question his "greatness." He was a VERY GOOD wr. But not a great one, for the reasons stated in the other thread.

Yes.  And guess what?  We will learn yet again what these players meant to this team.  Moreover, the same guys who are calling for the Bills to get rid of them will then call these guys traitors.

520974[/snapback]

Listen, I like Eric, but their are a couple of things one needs to look at here. Number one is this misperception that Eric somehow took one for the team and gave a hometown discount on his contract. This is just not the case. He became the third highest paid reciever in the league at that point. Just as a reference , his contract contained higher bonus money and higher salary year to year than the contract Hines Ward just signed.

Also, he has to be amanable to a reduction in pay, which I am sure he will not be. And at $11m, you just cannot keep the guy. Now, I may be wrong, but realistically what you are looking at is a $5M savings, as I think cutting him will still have us eating about $6m in dead space.

Now, I am no Eric hater, but I still feel, where this team is, they have to let him go. But I will be very pissed if they wait until June 1 to lessen the cap hit. This guy has been a a very good and loyal Bill, and they need to release him early if they are going to do it.Give the guy at least that respect, afetr all we did for a three QB!

I will be very pissed if they wait until June 1 to lessen the cap hit. This guy has been a a very good and loyal Bill, and they need to release him early if they are going to do it.Give the guy at least that respect, afetr all we did for a three QB!

521004[/snapback]

I will only be pissed if that happens because we'd still have dead cap for his amortized bonuses in 2007. <_< Take the full hit in 06.

I didn't like those comments, but I don't want to hang him in effigy. He's just not close to good value for the money, and he'll only get older, not better.

Anyways, it's too late now... everyone better get ready to say goodbye, cause he's gone.  :D

520983[/snapback]

Yep...agreed...And there is no question this is not the Eric Mould who earned that Big Contract a few years back...He's definitely not the same Player he was...I still think he can Play though, and I wish to God it could be in Buffalo...

Sad it is... <_<

If your going to take such a big cap hit for him anyway, why not keep him? IF you can find a better #1 wide receiver for less than the amount you are going to save by cutting him, then let him go, otherwise its not worth the hit.

The real question is weither moulds even wants to come back. He could always demand a trade. He is having problems with management and coaching so he might not want to come back if they are still in place.

The problem with cutting someone and taking a cap hit is that it is only a good idea if you can get someone with the same skill or better for less than the cost you save by cutting them.

Finding someone as good or better than Moulds for about 5 mil? not likely. Finding someone better than Mike Williams for whatever they save by cutting him? probable

Losing eric moulds will be just like losing pat williams last year. THought to be expendable or not worth the price at the time, then realise it was a mistake during the season.

moulds will be offered a renegotiation by the new GM. it will contain a bonus provision to lessen the blow of what he might otherwise lose. The new contract will probably be for three years. i would structure $ 7mil yr 1, 4.5 mil yr 2 , 3 mil yr 4. Bonus 6mil amortized 1, 2, 3 mil. avg. 6+ mil per yr. Don't know if the figures work with current contract, but IMHO this would save cap space and keep Eric.

Overall his on field coaching attitude with younger players is enormous.

You have to think about how many different QBs Moulds has played with, and of those 8, how many have been Pro Bowl quarterbacks?

Moulds showed against NE he could still make big plays.

Fans need to do more research on Donahoe's football experience. I think he was a high school coach before landing his job with the Steelers?

He cannot evaluate talent. Most notably coaches like Marvin Lewis and Charlie Weis. Also letting Pat Williams go over Sam Adams (seriously?), signing older defensive backs instead of drafting younger cheaper ones (or just keeping Keion Carpenter), and continually failing to address the offensive line (which should have been the first thing after bringing Bledsoe in).

Yes.  And guess what?  We will learn yet again what these players meant to this team.  Moreover, the same guys who are calling for the Bills to get rid of them will then call these guys traitors.

520974[/snapback]

Nobody is calling or going to call him a traitor....The point is do you carry

a player at the 10.5M Salaray cap.....If you as a team can take that then

fine....But I think this team has so many holes in other places, for them to

go out and hire FA for the OL and DL (which every one harps here), you need

cap space and real money.....Even if you cirumvent around the cap by

re-doing EMs salaary without a pay cut, RW will still have to shelve out the

big money to bring in those FAs....

I like EM, but he definitely has lost a step after that groin injury 2 seasons

ago. For him to take 10M cap space and also to get a 5M salary will have

a big impact on this team....This team is going nowhere and needs to be

rebuilt around JP, McGahee, Evans, Everett (??)....and a NEW COACHING

STAFF....who will instill tough discipline....This team is at least a year or

two from the playoffs, so why keep an aging player who is not going to

fit into the scheme of things....Plus, it also gives EM a ch.ance to go out

and find a team which might not pay him, but give him a shot at the SB...

a la Carolina....

Overall his on field coaching attitude with younger players is enormous.

521181[/snapback]

That is laughable, if indeed he took himself out of some of the plays...That

is a great example to set a precedent to the younger players....

The Buffalo Bills do not care what any of us thinks. We can trash a player as much as we want and it has zero effect on whether the Bills will keep or get rid of a player.

Age, contract status, salary, on-field preformance and off-field preformance as determined by the people in charge of the Buffalo Bills decide whether or a not a player remains a Buffalo Bill.

That said, Moulds is a whiner, a cry-baby, a malcontent and is past his prime. He is scheduled to cost the Bills $11 million in cap space for next season. Say good-bye to EM. How many playoff games have the Bills won with EM as the #1 WR?

ZERO.

We can lose without him and use the cap space on a younger, faster WR.

It is time to tear down the organization and start over. If people do not like it, too bad. Don't watch, don't go to games and stop talking about it. Would you rather we keep losing year after year with the same garbage in leadership roles on this team? Not one veteran player has ever done a damn thing for this team. Time to move on.