Firing Donahoe won't fix the real problem!

firstngoal

Unless Ralph gives the Axe to Mularkey as well!

However, since Mularkey has three years left on his Contract I kinda doubt that Ralph will eat the remaining years which he has never liked to do.

I'd keep Donahoe around for Administrative duties that wouldn't be connected to anything that has to do with putting a team on the field.

All in all, if Ralph Axes Donahoe it won't do much good unless he boots Mularkey out the Door with him!

However, since Mularkey has three years left on his Contract I kinda doubt that Ralph will eat the remaining years which he has never liked to do.

I'd keep Donahoe around for Administrative duties that wouldn't be connected to anything that has to do with putting a team on the field.

All in all, if Ralph Axes Donahoe it won't do much good unless he boots Mularkey out the Door with him!

520884[/snapback]

Agreed...The whole lot of em must go...Blow it up, start from scratch...Not that it matters what I think, but it's the only thing I will accept at this point...These jokers have kidnapped The Buffalo Bills and turned the Franchise into a laughing stock...If that is not enough to get Ralph to pull the trigger and eat the cash, I don't know what will...

And if RW is worried about another re-build at his Age, he should not worry so much. Whoever comes in, at least they will have a Franchise QB, HB, WR, and a few other decent pieces to build around, along with the Best ST's Units in the NFL...The Bills can be turned into a VERY competative Team as early as next Year, and a Play Off Contender by 2007. All it will take is someone making the right personnel decisions (ie...building The O and D-lines) along with a Head Coach who instills a mentality of excellence not mediocrity... :(

The real problem is now Ralph....he's just keeping the team tightly packaged so his kids can sell it when he passes....Sorry to be an a-hole, but it's an economic thing for him now. Firing TD will keep fans interested and in the seats...which will maintain the value for his kids...

520884[/snapback]

If TD goes I am sure Mularkey will be walking out the door right behind him. Most GMs like to bring in their own folks.

I have a feeling that if Buffalo canned TD and brought in a better GM from outside they would bring in an entirely new coaching staff (hopefully they keep April and Wyche). The problem is Ralph (atleast before yesterdays game) stated he was happy with Mularky's coaching, so he may bring in a GM that will keep MM.

I personally think MM has lost the team. That is something that cannot be fixed without a complete overhaul. The team is not just going to have faith in him again after a few small changes. Maybe with a new coach and GM some of the disgruntled players may be willing to stay and actually play. With a new coach maybe Moulds will be willing to stay for a renegotiated price (maybe but not likely). A new coach could also sway Sam Adams into playing out his contract and a new GM could realise that if he brings in someone who has a similar game as Pat Williams he will be back to playing like his pro bowl years.

Alot of you might say these guys are just distractions that should be cut but they are also excellent players when the coaching staff plays to their abilities. And cutting them is only going to cause us more dead cap space. Would cutting Adams really save us much cap room? Cutting moulds would save us some but would we be able to pick up someone else for the amount saved that would be a much better option then moulds? As for Mike Williams, if he doesn't take a drastic pay cut, then I would accept the dead cap space cause you could find a better player for the amount saved on him.

People, how many coaches must we go through before we try to stablize things? We're never going to get ANYWHERE if we keep firing coaches/players/waterboys every couple of years! We have Wade, fire him after a couple of years. GW, fire him after three years. MM, fire him after a year and a half (when he went 9-7 in the first year). It's crazy!

Losing sucked, it really does. But just think if we managed to not blow the lead in the 4th quarter against the Dolphins, Panthers, and Patriots. We'd be sitting pretty right now.

You can't keep changing personel everytime something bad happens.

CW

People, how many coaches must we go through before we try to stablize things?  We're never going to get ANYWHERE if we keep firing coaches/players/waterboys every couple of years!  We have Wade, fire him after a couple of years.  GW, fire him after three years.  MM, fire him after a year and a half (when he went 9-7 in the first year).  It's crazy!

Losing sucked, it really does.  But just think if we managed to not blow the lead in the 4th quarter against the Dolphins, Panthers, and Patriots.  We'd be sitting pretty right now.

CW

520950[/snapback]

Please see the Bills's of the late 70's to mid 80's...that is what this team is like...only we actually have some pretty good players on this team...

People, how many coaches must we go through before we try to stablize things?  We're never going to get ANYWHERE if we keep firing coaches/players/waterboys every couple of years!  We have Wade, fire him after a couple of years.  GW, fire him after three years.  MM, fire him after a year and a half (when he went 9-7 in the first year).  It's crazy!

Losing sucked, it really does.  But just think if we managed to not blow the lead in the 4th quarter against the Dolphins, Panthers, and Patriots.  We'd be sitting pretty right now.

CW

520950[/snapback]

Well I swear I shared your opinion before Sunday...And I know my Posts probably don't reflect this now, but I dont believe in being rash, or making snap decisions...I think your opinion in this matter has serious merit...normally...

But the truth is we are getting nowhere with Mularkey, and I feel the evidence points to the probability that it will only get worse with this HC...That 9-7 1st Year record might mean something now if MM's Team did not choke vs. Pittsburgh's 2nd and 3rd stringers, but that is the type of HC this guy is...The last thing I wanted to have to post this Season was the opinion that the whole thing needs to be blown up and started from scratch...I wanted, in the worst way, to see this current Regime have some success...But enough is enough...I see young Coaches like Gruden, Marvin Lewis and John Fox and I realize how much Mularkey is lacking in Leadership quality...

I know it sounds ridiculous to some, but whatever it is you need to be a successful NFL HC long term, MM simply does not have it...Blow it up Ralph...and get it right this time...

But just think if we managed to not blow the lead in the 4th quarter against the Dolphins, Panthers, and Patriots.  We'd be sitting pretty right now.

520950[/snapback]

I don't advocate firing Mularkey (yet), but I just don't go along with this thinking. "If" we managed not to blow it? We blew it for a reason. It wasn't random. It happened once, then it happened again, and now a third time. How many times does it have to happen before it's recognized as something that happens for a particular reason?

It's kind of like the typical coach response to a bad play call. Like if Mularkey had said, "If that first down and goal pass play had worked, nobody would be calling it a bad play call." Sorry, doesn't work that way. It didn't work, and the game was lost, for a reason.

I don't advocate firing Mularkey (yet), but I just don't go along with this thinking. "If" we managed not to blow it? We blew it for a reason. It wasn't random.

I wasn't implying it was. However, just because you have a crack in a structure doesn't mean you blow the building up and build a new one. Put some cement in the crack to fix it.

CW

I wasn't implying it was.  However, just because you have a crack in a structure doesn't mean you blow the building up and build a new one.  Put some cement in the crack to fix it.

CW

521058[/snapback]

I don't really know what it means to put cement in this crack. The way I look at it, the Bills have made mistake after mistake, last year and this year. Are they learning from their mistakes? Or are they continuing to do the same things over and over? At what point do you conclude that the message is just not getting through?

I used to think that Donahoe was here for life as the team would do just well enough no matter what. Well yesterday's debacle maybe the start of changing my mind on this. The article in the News yesterday also helps. Generally, articles like that don't get written unless there is some truth to it. I'm thinking the scenario proposed in that article is plausible and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen no matter how well/poor the team does the rest of the season. I also don't think RW will clean house right now. The best chance any franschise has of becoming competitively quickly is to build from within to keep some semblance of continuity. Whole sale house cleanings will cause another 2-3 years out of the playoffs.

I used to think that Donahoe was here for life as the team would do just well enough no matter what.  Well yesterday's debacle maybe the start of changing my mind on this.  The article in the News yesterday also helps.  Generally, articles like that don't get written unless there is some truth to it.  I'm thinking the scenario proposed in that article is plausible and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen no matter how well/poor the team does the rest of the season.  I also don't think RW will clean house right now.  The best chance any franschise has of becoming competitively quickly is to build from within to keep some semblance of continuity.  Whole sale house cleanings will cause another 2-3 years out of the playoffs.

521179[/snapback]

I agree. I don't think at this point that MM is the problem. outside of a lousy year and ineptness at certain positions, the players know that if they execute properly they can be very competitive. In fact that is what they have been saying all year. Yesterday is a perfect example of a team defense that blew it because they quit executing. our strength is supposed to be pass defense. We forced them to pass and they drilled it down our throats.

As to TD. in retrospect he has made a number of decisions that did not work out period. personnel wise he should have gotten Corey Simon, after losing PW and seeing that Edwards wasn't going to cut it. IMHO Polian grabbing Simon for this years colts, is similar to when he got Bennett for the Bills. These are the decisions that winning GM's make. They help their coaching staff, not let them get crucified with marginal talent.

I don't really know what it means to put cement in this crack. The way I look at it, the Bills have made mistake after mistake, last year and this year. Are they learning from their mistakes? Or are they continuing to do the same things over and over? At what point do you conclude that the message is just not getting through?

521072[/snapback]

Exactly!

And for those who don't think Mularkey is a big part of this problem I beg you to really study and understand the psyche of the best NFL Coaches...Then I challange you to find anything in Mularkey that reflects those traits...The quieter Guys like Dungy and Belichick are cerebral...These are sharp, super sharp, Football minds who just don't get outcoached often...Sure they have, or have had, great Talent...but they make the most of what they have regardless...And maybe more importantly they do all the little things, including game Management right most of the time...

Then you have the fiery HC's...Gruden, Parcells, Cower, and even Marvin Lewis in his own way, who sell their message with passion...Well we know MM is not that type of HC...Enough said there...

Lastly, if a New GM comes in...Let the guy pick his HC...I seriously doubt a Guy who is the right Man for the Job will accept Mularkey...He's just not good enough...

And for those who don't think Mularkey is a big part of this problem I beg you to really study and understand the psyche of the best NFL Coaches...Then I challange you to find anything in Mularkey that reflects those traits...The quieter Guys like Dungy and Belichick are cerebral...These are sharp, super sharp, Football minds who just don't get outcoached often...Sure they have, or have had, great Talent...but they make the most of what they have regardless...And maybe more importantly they do all the little things, including game Management right most of the time...

Then you have the fiery HC's...Gruden, Parcells, Cower, and even Marvin Lewis in his own way, who sell their message with passion...Well we know MM is not that type of HC...Enough said there...

Lastly, if a New GM comes in...Let the guy pick his HC...I seriously doubt a Guy who is the right Man for the Job will accept Mularkey...He's just not good enough...

521246[/snapback]

Except that the pregame shows are talking about Tice being Coach of the Year... <_<

CW

Ya think Marv could be a GM?  Just a thought.....

521077[/snapback]

I had suggested the same a couple of weeks back. Not sure if he has the business smarts though. Maybe he can handle personnel while someone does the business side of things. You got to give TD one thing - his negotiating skills. We do need the next GM to have that to keep the cap under control.

Ron (?) Wolf was also suggested by several on this board. Not sure where he is or if he is willing to join the Bills.