(OT) College Football/BCS Potential

Mike F

I had to do something to take my mind off the train wreck that is our beloved Bills' season.

Anyway, looking at the BCS games and the national title matchup in college football, I started thinking how much fun an actual playoff would be.

You could use the current BCS standings to generate the top eight teams, for seeding purposes in a three round tournament.

The first two rounds would be in mid-December (after exams and before the holiday break).

For example, round one would be on 12/10/05 and would consist of four games. Round two (final four of sorts) would be on 12/17/05 and consist of two games.

Taking a break for Christmas and New Year's Day, the final game for all the marbles would be on, or around the same time the current BCS title game is scheduled (1/4/06 in this case). Kind of like the Super Bowl break, and all of the associated media hype.

The gap between the 17th and the title game could be filled with all of the other bowls and teams that did not make the top eight.

For those who argue that a playoff would be too many games for college players, it would only be one more game for four teams and two more games for two teams. Hardly too much, IMO and still less then the Division 1-AA teams play (a sixteen team playoff).

And, as stated above, the games would not interfere with exams and classes (OK, so athletes may not worry much about that, but the colleges may). Heck, this schedule would not interfere with the NFL that much, either.

Would you rather watch a college playoff on Saturday, or an NFL game (that could be moved back to Sunday, since there would be meaningful college games on Saturday)?

As far as sites are concerned (and to avoid upseting the current structure too much), select the top seven bowls and rotate the first, second and third round games between them, on a yearly basis. So every seventh year, each bowl would get the title game. Or, pick the top three or four from that seven and rotate the same way (spreading the wealth, so to speak).

The top seven bowls might be; Gator, Capitol One, Cotton, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and Rose.

The top eight teams for 2005, per the latest BCS rankings would be; USC, Texas, Penn St., Ohio St., Oregon, Notre Dame, Georgia and Miami.

They would be paired up in a classic 1 versus 8, 2 versus 7, etc.

So, my "dream tournament" would break down like this;

Saturday 12/10/05

Fiesta (Noon) 1) USC vs 8) Miami

Gator (300 PM) 4) Ohio St. vs 5) Oregon

Capitol One (600 PM) 2) Texas vs 7) Georgia

Cotton (900 PM) 3) Penn St. vs 6) Notre Dame

Saturday 12/17/05

Orange (400 PM) Winner of 1/8 vs Winner of 4/5

Sugar (700 PM) Winner of 2/7 vs Winner of 3/6

Wednesday 1/4/06

Rose (700 PM) Final two teams play for title

OK, so two teams would play in three bowl games, but think of the money they would generate! You could even set up a sharing system, like the college basketball tournament, so all the teams benefit (and larger shares go to the teams that go farther).

Look at the matchups! I would love to see that take place.................I mean, USC and Miami in Round One would be just the start of a great slate of games.

Maybe some day :(

Mike

Oh, yeah...............do you guys think this set up would still result in a Texas and USC final?

Mike

I had to do something to take my mind off the train wreck that is our beloved Bills' season.

Anyway, looking at the BCS games and the national title matchup in college football, I started thinking how much fun an actual playoff would be.

You could use the current BCS standings to generate the top eight teams, for seeding purposes in a three round tournament.

The first two rounds would be in mid-December (after exams and before the holiday break). 

For example, round one would be on 12/10/05 and would consist of four games.  Round two (final four of sorts) would be on 12/17/05 and consist of two games.

Taking a break for Christmas and New Year's Day, the final game for all the marbles would be on, or around the same time the current BCS title game is scheduled (1/4/06 in this case).  Kind of like the Super Bowl break, and all of the associated media hype.

The gap between the 17th and the title game could be filled with all of the other bowls and teams that did not make the top eight.

For those who argue that a playoff would be too many games for college players, it would only be one more game for four teams and two more games for two teams.  Hardly too much, IMO and still less then the Division 1-AA teams play (a sixteen team playoff).

And, as stated above, the games would not interfere with exams and classes (OK, so athletes may not worry much about that, but the colleges may).  Heck, this schedule would not interfere with the NFL that much, either.   

Would you rather watch a college playoff on Saturday, or an NFL game (that could be moved back to Sunday, since there would be meaningful college games on Saturday)?

As far as sites are concerned (and to avoid upseting the current structure too much), select the top seven bowls and rotate the first, second and third round games between them, on a yearly basis.  So every seventh year, each bowl would get the title game.  Or, pick the top three or four from that seven and rotate the same way (spreading the wealth, so to speak).

The top seven bowls might be;  Gator, Capitol One, Cotton, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and Rose.

The top eight teams for 2005, per the latest BCS rankings would be;  USC, Texas, Penn St., Ohio St., Oregon, Notre Dame, Georgia and Miami.

They would be paired up in a classic 1 versus 8, 2 versus 7, etc.

So, my "dream tournament" would break down like this;

Saturday 12/10/05

Fiesta  (Noon)            1) USC  vs  8) Miami

Gator  (300 PM)            4) Ohio St. vs  5) Oregon

Capitol One (600 PM)  2) Texas  vs  7) Georgia

Cotton (900 PM)          3) Penn St. vs  6) Notre Dame

Saturday  12/17/05

Orange  (400 PM)        Winner of 1/8  vs  Winner of 4/5

Sugar    (700 PM)      Winner of 2/7  vs  Winner of 3/6

Wednesday  1/4/06

Rose  (700 PM)            Final two teams play for title

OK, so two teams would play in three bowl games, but think of the money they would generate!  You could even set up a sharing system, like the college basketball tournament, so all the teams benefit (and larger shares go to the teams that go farther).

Look at the matchups!  I would love to see that take place.................I mean, USC and Miami in Round One would be just the start of a great slate of games.

Maybe some day  <_<

Mike

520555[/snapback]

not to change the subject but is anyone else upset that there are bowl games on all day monday 1/2/06 when most of us will be at work? Sure the big three will be monday night tuesday night and wednesday night but being a ND fan and their 4:30 start is very disappointing.

Actually, I just took the top eight teams in the most recent BCS ranking..........you could tweak it some and make sure the major conference champion(s) had an automatic bid.

OR, have a "Selection Saturday" type process and unveil the field on TV, like they do for March Madness.

Of course, to make it really fair, you could limit the regular season to eleven games, reduce bye weeks and have a sixteen team playoff.............using the same basic theory of the different bowls hosting the different rounds.

In that scenario, you would have fifteen bowls involved.

And it is really doable.................as I said, 1-AA had the same setup.

Mike

Except for the fact that Florida State finished ahead of Miami in the ACC, and you forgot that West Virginia, not Oregon, is in the BCS too....

JDG

521343[/snapback]

not to change the subject but is anyone else upset that there are bowl games on all day monday 1/2/06 when most of us will be at work? Sure the big three will be monday night tuesday night and wednesday night but being a ND fan and their 4:30 start is very disappointing.

521398[/snapback]

Actually, "most of us" will have Monday off of work. Its a bummer that you either:

a) work for one of the very few businesses that will get Friday off,

b) have a Scrooge for an employer

c) work in the service sector, where someone has to cover most major holidays.

JDG

Actually, "most of us" will have Monday off of work.  Its a bummer that you either:

a) work for one of the very few businesses that will get Friday off,

b) have a Scrooge for an employer

c) work in the service sector, where someone has to cover most major holidays.

JDG

521586[/snapback]

Finance Dept of an auto dealership.