4th and Goal...

What amazes me is the difference in the way the team, local media and fans would have reacted if the Dolphins failed to score on that 4th and goal. The Bills would've won, and we'd have been subjected to all kinds of "we came up big when it mattered", "this team has no quit", "we beat a tough team on the road", "WE'RE STILL IN THIS THING" nonsense. The fact is, there is NO difference between the Dolphins winning on the last play and the Bills stopping them on that last play - the collapse already had occurred, and NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED in either instance.

Thank God the Dolphins converted, and we lost. Now the focus is properly where it belongs - I'll say it again - on

REBUILDING.

Teams build, they compete, they re-build.

The Tennessee Titans were 3 feet away from a Superbowl trophy a few years back, now they have rebuilt, and rebuilt again.

Success is elusive. Sometimes, for whatever reason, bitter losses precipitate change faster - even though change was needed from the outset with this team, and the same changes would have been necessary had we won 23-17.

What amazes me is the difference in the way the team, local media and fans would have reacted if the Dolphins failed to score on that 4th and goal.  The Bills would've won, and we'd have been subjected to all kinds of "we came up big when it mattered", "this team has no quit", "we beat a tough team on the road", "WE'RE STILL IN THIS THING" nonsense.  The fact is, there is NO difference between the Dolphins winning on the last play and the Bills stopping them on that last play - the collapse already had occurred, and NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED in either instance.

Thank God the Dolphins converted, and we lost.  Now the focus is properly where it belongs - I'll say it again - on

REBUILDING.

The Tennessee Titans were 3 feet away from a Superbowl trophy a few years back, now they have rebuilt, and rebuilt again.

Success is elusive.  Sometimes, for whatever reason, bitter losses precipitate change faster - even though change was needed from the outset with this team, and the same changes would have been necessary had we won 23-17.

520096[/snapback]

I agree completely...but.......it was still a bit sickening--as a 40year Bills fan--to see them lose like that to the Dolphins

I wouldn't be thankful that we lost but once the smoke clears and everyone's emotions calm down,,,,,people will see some valuable things that came out of this such as:

- We get a higher draft pick. much needed because even if we win, this is not anywhere close to being a playoff caliber team.

- JP gets another Life lesson that he cannot replicate in practice or game film. These choke games and the blowouts will stick with him through the offseason and make him better and smarter on the field.

- JP gets another Life lesson that he cannot replicate in practice or game film.  These choke games and the blowouts will stick with him through the offseason and make him better and smarter on the field.

520116[/snapback]

Definitely agree with this one. Don't people realize that it's better for him to make mistakes like this in a garbage year than in a playoff game??

I also agree with this. Yet this board would be full of "Where are all the naysers now?" and "you guys are miserable human beings who will NEVER be happy about ANYTHING" people if that last play were different and any reasonable fan voiced concern about the overall sucktitude. I mean, never mind that every AFC team but us has made the playoffs since 2000.

Definitely agree with this one.  Don't people realize that it's better for him to make mistakes like this in a garbage year than in a playoff game??

520121[/snapback]

Doesn't that also count for Mularkey?

I also think that this loss, while as sickening as it gets, might just be the best thing that happens to these guys. It exposed that we need a line badly, it shows the young players that they need to finish what they started, and it shows the coaches they need to do a better job of calling the plays.

The second half also showed how important the loss of Spikes & Pat Williams are. No pressure on the QB and they couldn't stop the Fins from running.

I would actually like to see the Bills sign Nate Clements, but not for a penny more than he's making right now.

Days like today are often blessings in disguise.

If the needs show up on the field, they obviously have to be corrected. I would much rather this happen with a 4-7 team going nowhere than if we were this year's Bengals or Jaguars.

Mike

I also think that this loss, while as sickening as it gets, might just be the best thing that happens to these guys. It exposed that we need a line badly, it shows the young players that they need to finish what they started, and it shows the coaches they need to do a better job of calling the plays.

520156[/snapback]

Haven't there been enough exposures this season to already know this? Raise your hand if you weren't sure that we needed a line badly. Holler "aye!" if you thought the collapses against New England and Carolina weren't enough to know that we need to finish what we start. And please, I'd really like to know if you are one that, to this point, really hasn't been convinced that we need to do a better job of calling plays!

It's a sickening loss because, even this far into the season, after debacle after debacle, we still haven't begun to learn from our mistakes.

What amazes me is the difference in the way the team, local media and fans would have reacted if the Dolphins failed to score on that 4th and goal.  The Bills would've won, and we'd have been subjected to all kinds of "we came up big when it mattered", "this team has no quit", "we beat a tough team on the road", "WE'RE STILL IN THIS THING" nonsense.  The fact is, there is NO difference between the Dolphins winning on the last play and the Bills stopping them on that last play - the collapse already had occurred, and NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED in either instance.

Thank God the Dolphins converted, and we lost.  Now the focus is properly where it belongs - I'll say it again - on

REBUILDING.

Success is elusive.  Sometimes, for whatever reason, bitter losses precipitate change faster - even though change was needed from the outset with this team, and the same changes would have been necessary had we won 23-17.

520096[/snapback]

The season was over a long time ago. It was disappointing, but surprisingly it did not effect me as losses used to do.

We are better off with the higher draft pick and without the illusion that we are better than we are.

The second half also showed how important the loss of Spikes & Pat Williams are. No pressure on the QB and they couldn't stop the Fins from running.

I would actually like to see the Bills sign Nate Clements, but not for a penny more than he's making right now.

520156[/snapback]

Right on most counts except the fins stopped running at halftime. Most teams now realize its easier and quicker to pass your way down the field over Nate"show me themoney" clements. <_<