I have never been critical of Mularkey

Mikie2times

The Bills came firing out of the gate and built a 21-0 lead, but from then on the strategy that was working was aborted. We turned into a Marty ball team, settling each drive for just not turning it over. Unfortunately for us when you play ultra conservative any possessions that result in points usually go threw the red zone, and the red zone is the place we struggle most.

We built our lead and scored almost all our recent TD's on long TD's. Mularkey took that approach out, and as it turns out we turned it over twice in the Red Zone, when a FG would have sealed it. What makes it even worse is he took this approach while knowing our defense averages giving up 29 points per road game this year.

Horrible coaching today

You must be living under a rock, critical of that guy, looks kinda lost out there

519547[/snapback]

I don't know what the point of that comment was, but I haven't seen game altering play calling from MM this year. He's been below average, but he hasn't given a game away like this. Some of our games have looked like we just didn't have the talent, this one was ALL coaching.

The Bills came firing out of the gate and built a 21-0 lead, but from then on the strategy that was working was aborted. We turned into a Marty ball team, settling each drive for just not turning it over. Unfortunately for us when you play ultra conservative any possessions that result in points usually go threw the red zone, and the red zone is the place we struggle most.

We built our lead and scored almost all our recent TD's on long TD's. Mularkey took that approach out, and as it turns out we turned it over twice in the Red Zone, when a FG would have sealed it.  What makes it even worse is he took this approach while knowing our defense averages giving up 29 points per road game this year.

Horrible coaching today

519537[/snapback]

I disagree. I thought they stayed aggressive for most of the game up until about 8 minutes left. Then they tried to run clock. Basically people complain when they run too much, then they complain when we don't run enough. They can't put JP in obvious passing situation therefore they must pass on 1st down. They did a good job until Miami's D decided to step up.

Basically people complain when they run too much, then they complain when we don't run enough. 

519721[/snapback]

That is so very true. Down by 14 in the 4th Qtr it's "run the damn ball!" Up by 21 against a crappy offense it's "why are we running"? In fairness to Kzoo he has at least been consistent.

That is so very true.  Down by 14 in the 4th Qtr it's "run the damn ball!"  Up by 21 against a crappy offense it's "why are we running"?  In fairness to Kzoo he has at least been consistent.

519737[/snapback]

I'll side with Kzoo, for the next four weeks, I want JP to either win it or lose it for us.

We built our lead and scored almost all our recent TD's on long TD's. Mularkey took that approach out, and as it turns out we turned it over twice in the Red Zone, when a FG would have sealed it.  What makes it even worse is he took this approach while knowing our defense averages giving up 29 points per road game this year.

Horrible coaching today

519537[/snapback]

the complaint i have is the cutesiness. in particular, the play action pass on 1st and goal is a perfect example. i have no problem whatsoever with a play action pass on 1st and goal - it's a tried and true play that often works. however, when you do it, it should be a quick hitter to a competent TE. the bills don't have one. whatever you do, however, don't have josh reed run to the back of the endzone and then have him cut across so that losman has to throw the ball 20-30 yards!!! that's ridiculous, and is a high risk play by definition.

I disagree.  I thought they stayed aggressive for most of the game up until about 8 minutes left.  Then they tried to run clock.  Basically people complain when they run too much, then they complain when we don't run enough.  They can't put JP in obvious passing situation therefore they must pass on 1st down.  They did a good job until Miami's D decided to step up.

519721[/snapback]

Find a post that I have ever complained about us not running enough, or throwing enough. Like I said, I never had an issue with it before. Contrary to popular opinion the Bills do run a large % of the time, especially on first down, and I think the overall play calling hasn't been killing us, more the overall lack of talent at certain areas.

The first quarter saw numerous downfield throws, and it was working. Then after we built the 21-0 we went to the dink and dunk style, and JP is not a dink and dunk player. He's a playmaker that’s going to make some mistakes, but also get some points in the process. We give up 29+ on the road this year, and the clear impression I got was MM thought 21 would be enough. It's a legitimate beef if that was the case.

I disagree.  I thought they stayed aggressive for most of the game up until about 8 minutes left.  Then they tried to run clock.  Basically people complain when they run too much, then they complain when we don't run enough.  They can't put JP in obvious passing situation therefore they must pass on 1st down.  They did a good job until Miami's D decided to step up.

519721[/snapback]

Doesn't matter when you run if you don't know what the !@#$ you're doing. If you run up the middle when it's not succeeding all game, you reap what you sow.

Did they even try more than twice to run to the outside today? Teague and the guards were getting manhandled.

My name speaks to the fact that I want to see a good run game. But running for the sake of running, or running without a plan, is meaningless.

Doesn't matter when you run if you don't know what the !@#$ you're doing.  If you run up the middle when it's not succeeding all game, you reap what you sow.

Did they even try more than twice to run to the outside today?  Teague and the guards were getting manhandled.

My name speaks to the fact that I want to see a good run game.  But running for the sake of running, or running without a plan, is meaningless.

519818[/snapback]

I think the problem is MM is trying to run a power attack, but we don't possess the lineman to be successful at that. We also have a young QB who recently has shown he has a penchant for big plays and turnovers. Those combined have a horrible effect on our red zone efficiency, which is why just about every time we get in the red zone we either kick a field goal or turn it over.

When we have scored TD's (KC, MIA for the most part) it’s been by the big play, and it's not surprising considering the personnel we have. If you take out our rushing attack we effectively have an inexperienced gun slinger at QB, a burner at WR, and a possession guy in Moulds. JP has a poor chemistry with Moulds, and that has lead to 4 TD's on long plays to Evans (KC, MIA), and 1 short TD to Evans (MIA). Since JP came in we have had 4 long TD's to Lee, 1 short TD to Lee, and 1 short TD to Shelton (SD). So by not throwing deep to Lee you have effectively taken away 67% of our TD offense the past 4 games, MM did that for 3 quarters.

Power attack or not: how do you explain this in the fourth quarter:

1-3-MIA3 (4:14) J.Losman pass intended for J.Reed INTERCEPTED by S.Madison at MIA 1. S.Madison to MIA 12 for 11 yards (J.Reed).

You have three chances to punch it in with the run. If you don't make it, you still take 3 minutes off the clock and kick a field goal to put yourself up by 4 possesions.

Power attack or not: how do you explain this in the fourth quarter:

1-3-MIA3 (4:14) J.Losman pass intended for J.Reed INTERCEPTED by S.Madison at MIA 1. S.Madison to MIA 12 for 11 yards (J.Reed).

You have three chances to punch it in with the run. If you don't make it, you still take 3 minutes off the clock and kick a field goal to put yourself up by 3 possesions.

519865[/snapback]

That’s my point, after the first we played conservatively from the 50-25 which lead to more Red Zone attempts. I already illustrated just how much of our offense has been generated from big plays, because JP can bring that. But with a condensed field then we take our shots? This is exactly the place that JP has shown a propensity for turnovers.

If nothing else we need points, we built the 21 point lead early knowing our defense gives up 29 on the road on average. You figure to a below average Dolphins offense 26 or so would be enough, 3 under our normal road average. It's called game management, and that’s what makes good coaches great. It's why we hear about the Parcells winning 80+ straight games when leading late etc. Turns out we got a safety to make it 23, and FG would have made it 26 and a W, one TD would have made it 28 and a W, either way it's a win.

That’s my point, after the first we played conservatively from the 50-25 which lead to more Red Zone attempts. I already illustrated just how much of our offense has been generated from big plays, because JP can bring that. But with a condensed field then we take our shots? This is exactly the place that JP has shown a propensity for turnovers.

If nothing else we need points, we built the 21 point lead early knowing our defense gives up 29 on the road on average. You figure to a below average Dolphins offense 26 or so would be enough, 3 under our normal road average. It's called game management, and that’s what makes good coaches great. It's why we hear about the Parcells winning 80+ straight games when leading late etc. Turns out we got a safety to make it 23, and FG would have made it 26 and a W, one TD would have made it 28 and a W, either way it's a win.

519876[/snapback]

you said it.

I think the problem is MM is trying to run a power attack, but we don't possess the lineman to be successful at that. 

:

519857[/snapback]

The facts say you must be right. What bugs me is this: we've had two years of talk about how we're going to build a power running team. Every time we bring in a new guy we have the TBD experts raving about how the guy is a 'road grader.' (I know, cliches like 'road grader' and 'salary cap hell' are usually good indicators that the writer has nothing intelligent to contribute...) So if Mike Williams and MV and Bennie Anderson and the gang aren't getting enough push, why are they on the roster? Excellence in pass protection?

Willis was completely ineffective in crunch time. In retrospect i wish we had thrown some screens or something late because pounding Willis was a mistake. He's overrated and the call by the fans to run, run, run.....only gets us into 3 and outs. What a mess this team is. Blow it up and only keep JP, Evans, London, Terrence McGhee, Schobel and Moorman.

The facts say you must be right.  What bugs me is this:  we've had two years of talk about how we're going to build a power running team.  Every time we bring in a new guy we have the TBD experts raving about how the guy is a 'road grader.'  (I know,  cliches like 'road grader' and 'salary cap hell'  are usually good indicators that the writer has nothing intelligent to contribute...)  So if Mike Williams and MV and Bennie Anderson and the gang aren't getting enough push,  why are they on the roster?  Excellence in pass protection?

519923[/snapback]

Scary isn't it? It also doesn't help that teams have played to stop our run all year. Denver, KC, SD, PITT etc. all have a QB that will beat you threw the air if you stack the box. JP is finally starting to take advantage of that over the top, but he is still struggling on his intermediate game, and especially in a condensed field. If we added the passing dimension that those strong run teams have I would say we would be top 10 or so in terms of our rush offense as a whole.

The problem is we have a very long way to go to get to that point because the pass blocking has been so bad, and JP's still developing. With the talent we have we will have to address the OL regardless of the type of offense we want to run next season. If you’re going to do that why not look more for pass protectors then road graders? It's great that this team wants to be little Pittsburgh and all but I see most the players on offense in the future geared more for big plays then slow methodical drives, everybody except maybe Willis.

the complaint i have is the cutesiness. in particular, the play action pass on 1st and goal is a perfect example.  i have no problem whatsoever with a play action pass on 1st and goal - it's a tried and true play that often works.  however, when you do it, it should be a quick hitter to a competent TE. the bills don't have one. whatever you do, however, don't have josh reed run to the back of the endzone and then have him cut across so that losman has to throw the ball 20-30 yards!!! that's ridiculous, and is a high risk play by definition.

519763[/snapback]

If Losman makes a good throw, that's an easy 6. He threw the ball way behind Reed. It was a bad decision to pass it there from the standpoint of trying to simply finish that game. I think Mularkey really wanted JP to get that 4th TD from a confidence standpoint. I'm not defending Mularkey, he makes a lot of decisions that blow up in his face and it probably will ultimately sink him next season if not this one, but that play would have looked like a great if the QB and WR just played pitch and catch.