There is hope....

It says in the piece Donahoe got a one-to-two year extension. Weren't preseason reports something like a five-year extension? Gaughan seems to be convinced that Moulds is on his way out, much more convinced of that than Big Mike's release. I'd really want to hear about some of the instances where Modrak and Donahoe disgareed.

A couple of thoughts about the Gaughan's piece in todays Buffalo News:

1. Would Modrak take the GM position if TD is pushed out? I thought TD and Modrak were very close. If that is the case, I can't see this happening, unless TD remains as president.

2. If a change is to be made, maybe there is a better candidate than Modrak? I think after 5 years, the Bills could use a fresh start. I am not going to start listing possible candidates (although Ron Wolff would be great), but TD's record is poor (and he was a known guy) and I am sure that there are well qualified candidates out there, even if I have never heard of them.

3. RW likes MM. I think MM is being outcoached every week. I wonder if where TD really went wrong was in his choices for HC. Any new GM from outside of the organization would want to choose his own HC, just like TD did. Another question: would MM stay with the Bills if TD was fired? I assume so.

4. Whether TD is fired/replaced or not, this is going to be a rough offseason. Many decisions (Moulds, Williams, etc.) and possibly a great deal of upheval. I like Moulds and Clements. I hope they can find a way to keep them. Williams should go.

5. If Clements, Moulds, Adams and others depart, are we in for another major rebuilding effort? Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes.

I'd really want to hear about some of the instances where Modrak and Donahoe disgareed.

518792[/snapback]

I agree...what I know now, I would just assume give TD another year to rebuild the offensive and defensive lines. I really think it is that simple. If both, or either of these units was above average, I still think this could be a very good team. I certainly question a lot of TD's moves, but I don't think he has been all bad. He is no Terry Bletsoe...

That being said, I realize a guy only gets so many chances in the NFL. I am not sure what all Modrak has done for the Bills, to make me sure that he would be that much better. If TD is retained, his one worst obstacle in rebuilding the lines, through FA, may be the shabby way many ex-Bills seem to feel they were treated in Buffalo. Eventually that kind of thing catches up to a team. Agents develop an attitude about certain teams. From what I remember of articles about Modrak interviewing for GM jobs in the past, the "NFL whispers" seemed to suggest that he was a little too "old school" for some of the owners, and very stubborn. If Ralph couldn't handle Polians' ego, after three consecutive SB appearences, at age75, will he be ready to deal with a guy who really has no track record at all?

Would Modrak take the GM position if TD is pushed out?  I thought TD and Modrak were very close.  If that is the case, I can't see this happening, unless TD remains as president.

518803[/snapback]

Agreed. No way Modrak sticks around if TD is fired.

A couple of thoughts about the Gaughan's piece in todays Buffalo News:

1.  Would Modrak take the GM position if TD is pushed out?  I thought TD and Modrak were very close.  If that is the case, I can't see this happening, unless TD remains as president.

2.  If a change is to be made, maybe there is a better candidate than Modrak?  I think after 5 years, the Bills could use a fresh start.  I am not going to start listing possible candidates (although Ron Wolff would be great), but TD's record is poor (and he was a known guy) and I am sure that there are well qualified candidates out there, even if I have never heard of them.

3.  RW likes MM.  I think MM is being outcoached every week.  I wonder if where TD really went wrong was in his choices for HC.  Any new GM from outside of the organization would want to choose his own HC, just like TD did.  Another question:  would MM stay with the Bills if TD was fired?  I assume so.

4.  Whether TD is fired/replaced or not, this is going to be a rough offseason.  Many decisions (Moulds, Williams, etc.) and possibly a great deal of upheval.  I like Moulds and Clements.  I hope they can find a way to keep them.  Williams should go.

5.  If Clements, Moulds, Adams and others depart, are we in for another major rebuilding effort?  Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes.

518803[/snapback]

The point Gaughen is making is that RW doesnt want to turn over the whole organization, get a new GM from outside, have that GM dump Mularky....RW believes that the current man in charge is not doing the job and we just need a shake up, not a complete overhaul. RW wants some continunity, and this allows him to change the top decision maker in the organization, but still keep the philosophy, and head coach.

Why would Modrak leave? He wants to be a GM.

I think the article is well written and discusses the most likely scenario this offseason. Although I do agree w/ buftex that if the o and d lines were improved, we could have something. But that is a HUGE if ...and if it were as easy as saying "lets do it" it would have been done.

I am unclear as to why WHY! TD thinks he can get by with, at best, average players on the lines?? I dont understand it? I played college ball, and everyone who knows anything about football knows you are only as good as your men in the trenches. Even Barry Sanders couldnt win sheeit b/c he had no o line. Maybe last years end run fooled TD into believing he was just a player away on the o line?

On D - we knew about the Sam Adams / mularky issues last year, so why did we believe we could lose our best d tackle and rely on adams to step up? Tim Anderson was deactivated most of the year last year - why did he believe the guy could come in and backup/spell our starters? we have no depth here.

These are serious q's in my mind that make me conclude TD has to go.

Agreed. No way Modrak sticks around if TD is fired.

518820[/snapback]

Actually, I think TD would strong suggest to Modrak to take the job. It would be easy for TD and Modrak to do. especially considering they are friends, not in spite of it. If TD gets fired, he's likely not going to get a GM job right away. It could take 2-3 years. So what is Modrak going to do? Just wait until a job for some other guy comes up instead of taking a lifelong dream job? TD would never talk him out of taking the Bills job if offered, and would say, without question IMO, "just finish what we started".

Actually, I think TD would strong suggest to Modrak to take the job. It would be easy for TD and Modrak to do. especially considering they are friends, not in spite of it. If TD gets fired, he's likely not going to get a GM job right away. It could take 2-3 years. So what is Modrak going to do? Just wait until a job for some other guy comes up instead of taking a lifelong dream job? TD would never talk him out of taking the Bills job if offered, and would say, without question IMO, "just finish what we started".

518831[/snapback]

I agree with you that Modrak would take the job, despite the possible awkwardness of the situation. He obviously wants to be a GM, and has interviewed numerous times, with numerous teams. If he was offered the job, outright, no competition with other interviewees (where he seems to fail) why wouldn't he take it? I also agree with you that TD would encourage him to take it. They are obviously good friends, and Modrak might never get another opportunity like this....

I do disagree with you about TD not getting a job for another 2-3 years. I think he would be someone else's GM next season, possibly the Texans? There are probably 6 teams that are going to go through overhauls this offseason (and I am not even counting the Bills). Though most here don't seem to feel that TD has done a good job, it seems he is very well connected in NFL circles, and has very recent experience. I think someone hires him right off...

Now, if you hate TD, I don't know how you could want Modrak as GM. He has been a big part of the draft, during TD's tenure, and deserves at least some blame for the draft problems. When Modrak has failed to land GM jobs in the past, the rumours in NFL circles seemed to be that Modrak was more of a personel guy, than a contract guy. There seemed to be a fear that he would have little patience for contract negotiations, and salary cap management....

BTW, I may be wrong, but I could have sworn I read during the post-2003 draft analysis, it was TD who was enamored with JP Losman, not Modrak...

I agree with you that Modrak would take the job, despite the possible awkwardness of the situation.  He obviously wants to be a GM, and has interviewed numerous times, with numerous teams. 

Now, if you hate TD, I don't know how you could want Modrak as GM.  He has been a big part of the draft, during TD's tenure, and deserves at least some blame for the draft problems.  When Modrak has failed to land GM jobs in the past, the rumours in NFL circles seemed to be that Modrak was more of a personel guy, than a contract guy.  There seemed to be a fear that he would  have little patience for contract negotiations, and salary cap management....

518844[/snapback]

My take on the MG story is that Modrak would be more of a Butler-type "personnel only" GM and Russ Brandon would fuction more in the Team President role on the contract/administrative side. Whether this would be enough power for Modrak would be an interesting question.

My take on the MG story is that Modrak would be more of a Butler-type "personnel only" GM and Russ Brandon would fuction more in the Team President role on the contract/administrative side.  Whether this would be enough power for Modrak would be an interesting question.

518866[/snapback]

If that was the case, and you are likely right, I just don't see that it would be much of a change from what we have now...TD has managed the cap well, it is the personel area that he seems to have his most obvious shortcomings. Modrak has been a big part of that....ultimately it seems that if the Bills go this rout, they will be investing another 3-5 years in a plan that most don't feel is working. In sports, sometimes you just have to cut and run...as depressing as that is...

If this is the only option (Modrak & Brandon), I would just assume give TD another year...unless Ralph just feels like he has to make some sort of change to pacify the fan base. Pains me to say it, because I really liked the guy going into the season, it would seem that a large part of the teams troubles rest squarely at the feet of Mike Mularkey and his coaching staff. I have never really been impressed with Jerry Gray, Tom Clements is almost certainly gone (either fired or resign). In a sense, it will be like starting over again next year anyways...I think a lot of NFL people ("experts" on the radio) feel that this team has way too many good players to be performing this poorly...I am not sure if that is true, but I am becoming more certain, with each passing week, that the coaches are not getting it done.... :(

From the front page:

Get 'er done.

"Head coach Mike Mularkey is safe. Wilson likes Mularkey's style, his presence and his straight-shooting approach. Mularkey has a respected group of teachers on his staff. He also has three years to go on his contract."

Let's see:

A) "Head coach Mike Mularkey is safe. Wilson likes Mularkey's style, his presence and his straight-shooting approach."

What exactly did Wilson like about MM's style today? His beautiful play call on first and goal from the four? The fantastic 2-yard Roscoe Parrish "trick play" throw for a whopping 2-yards? His ability to go into a conservative third quarter shell while trying to sit on a 20 point lead?

B) "Mularkey has a respected group of teachers on his staff."

When are they going to "teach" their players to close a game?

C) "He also has three years to go on his contract."

And there it is!

And so it goes...another lost year in the annals of our beloved Buffalo Bills.