Is Willis really the best Draft move TD

Mikie2times

When people talk about the best draft move TD has made as GM most people wouldn't hesitate to say Willis MaGahee, and why not? I said the same in some of my posts until the other day I started to think about it a little more. When you look at the value of the RB position is Willis performing like that much of a steal for when we drafted him and the injury concerns?

Some things to consider about the best pick of the TD era

-Travis Henry posted better averages, and overall numbers in 2002 and 2003 then Willis did in 2003, 2004, and 2005 combined. Of course Willis didn’t play in 2003, but we did select him knowing that our first round pick would not play his first year. Even by just counting 2004 and 2005 Henry still beats MaGahee’s averages, which don't factor in carries. He also ran behind an equally bad offensive line. Henry/Willis

Seeing how those two backs compare fairly evenly did Travis ever have the same 1st round value at any point in his career?

- A healthy Larry Johnson was picked up 4 spots after Willis MaGahee

- MaGahee will most likely be seeking a more lucrative deal soon. He says he's the best back in the league, last year Alexander and Edge had 2nd round trade value. Would you rather pay the money to Willis at the cost of a first rounder, or Edge/Alexander and a 2nd?

Willis is a good running back; I just don't think we should call him the best pick in TD history. RB's just don't have much value, and he came with a year off and no guarantee that he would ever recover. Now he says he's close to 100% but does he appear like he has anymore value then the 23rd pick in the NFL draft? That day will only come if he regains his speed, in the mean time lets hope he doesn’t ask for more money.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always felt that acquiring Spikes was the move that was the most in touch with the heartbeat of the fans and has provided the most value in Td's tenure here. I suppose with this that much now is depending on the level of TKO's recovery in order to remain TD's best move.

- MaGahee will most likely be seeking a more lucrative deal soon. He says he's the best back in the league, last year Alexander and Edge had 2nd round trade value. Would you rather pay the money to Willis at the cost of a first rounder, or Edge/Alexander and a 2nd?

Willis is a good running back; I just don't think we should call him the best pick in TD history. RB's just don't have much value, and he came with a year off and no guarantee that he would ever recover.  Now he says he's close to 100% but does he appear like he has anymore value then the 23rd pick in the NFL draft? That day will only come if he regains his speed, in the mean time lets hope he doesn’t ask for more money.

517538[/snapback]

I think Willis was good value,and getting the pick in itself was a ripoff. I honestly don't see much of a difference though between Willis and Larry Johnson other then the lines they run behind, but basically I think they're the same type of running back.

As far as the best move TD ever made I'd have to go with Spikes.

I vote the Peerless Price trade.

Re WM, one thing people never mention is the fact that we basically paid him to recoup - we give him a mulligan on the lost year. I don't know what his contract is, but I'm sure it was slotted and we didn't get a break on the rehab year. So if for example it was 4 mill over 4 years, then we really paid 4 for 3 years of productivity. So we are paying a 33% premium right off the bat. Is he 33% better than other runningbacks picked where he was? Add in the fact that we have him for 25% less time than other draft picks before he's a free agent, and I actually think it was a poor move.

Anybody know what his contract is like?

I think Willis was good value,and getting the pick in itself was a ripoff.  I honestly don't see much of a difference though between Willis and Larry Johnson other then the lines they run behind, but basically I think they're the same type of running back.

517559[/snapback]

I should have said draft pick, at least that was more of the argument I was making. I’ll change the title up top.

We did steel it from ATL, but I just don't see that as a justification for saying Willis was a steal. The pick was, but not the player. Willis is basically a player we drafted with major injury concerns that now has value around when we drafted him, no more, no less. Johnson runs behind an outstanding line, so that is a big advantage he has over Willis, but I still think Johnson has shown more breakaway speed, and versatility then Willis, and was also healthy at the time of the draft.

When people talk about the best decision TD has made as GM most people wouldn't hesitate to say Willis MaGahee, and why not? I said the same in some of my posts until the other day I started to think about it a little more. When you look at the value of the RB position is Willis performing like that much of a steal for when we drafted him and the injury concerns?

-Travis Henry posted better averages, and overall numbers in 2002 and 2003 then Willis did in 2003, 2004, and 2005 combined. Of course Willis didn’t play in 2003, but we did select him knowing that our first round pick would not play his first year. Even by just counting 2004 and 2005 Henry still beats MaGahee’s averages, which don't factor in carries. He also ran behind an equally bad offensive line.  Henry/Willis

Seeing how those two backs compare fairly evenly did Travis ever have the same 1st round value at any point in his career?

Willis is a good running back; I just don't think we should call him the best pick in TD history. RB's just don't have much value, and he came with a year off and no guarantee that he would ever recover.  Now he says he's close to 100% but does he appear like he has anymore value then the 23rd pick in the NFL draft? That day will only come if he regains his speed, in the mean time lets hope he doesn’t ask for more money.

517538[/snapback]

vis a vis henry, you're not factoring in fumbles. henry was a chronic fumbler; mcgahee fumbles very rarely.

vis a vis henry, you're not factoring in fumbles. henry was a chronic fumbler; mcgahee fumbles very rarely.

517569[/snapback]

one other thing: i always try to avoid bringing these things up because ultimately it doesn't count, but has there been a back in recent memory that has had more significant runs called back in one year because of irrelevant wide receiver holding calls than mcgahee this year? i can think of about 5 plays totaling about 150 yards off the top of my head.

517569[/snapback]

Fumbles aside I still don't see Henry having 1st round value at any point in his career. Not when you consider the type of RB's that have gotten first round picks in years past.

When you look at the length of the average NFL career for a player at any position vs. for a RB, there is a marked reduction off the bat. Sure, every time you draft a RB you can think you're getting a Thurman Thomas who'll last 8 years, but that doesn't make it so. All it takes is one hit; as WM showed.

There's a lot to be said about Ricky Williams, and I join in, but he was 100 percent right about the abuse a RB takes. 11 guys on a defense waiting to hit you 30 times a game. What other player gets hit that much?

It's for that reason that I generally consider spending a 1st on a RB to not be a good deal unless they are a Sure Thing, and maybe not even then. Too many other positions of need that have a better opportunity cost.

I will just say that to regain his speed, Willis needs to lose those 10-15 pounds he put on.

Terrence McGee.

As a TD basher, I must admit that he knows how to find CB's, whether they be early round picks (Clements) or late round picks (Jimmy Williams who's still in the league, Kevin Thomas, Eric King) or undrafted (Jabari Greer).

517593[/snapback]

True, that.

Terrence McGee.

As a TD basher, I must admit that he knows how to find CB's, whether they be early round picks (Clements) or late round picks (Jimmy Williams who's still in the league, Kevin Thomas, Eric King) or undrafted (Jabari Greer).

517593[/snapback]

Agreed

one other thing: i always try to avoid bringing these things up because ultimately it doesn't count, but has there been a back in recent memory that has had more significant runs called back in one year because of irrelevant wide receiver holding calls than mcgahee this year? i can think of about 5 plays totaling about 150 yards off the top of my head.

517571[/snapback]

I didn't think they were irrelevant, but I didn't see the replay that many times.

McGee by virtue of his being the only starter to come from Day 2 of the draft.

I didn't think they were irrelevant, but I didn't see the replay that many times.

McGee by virtue of his being the only starter to come from Day 2 of the draft.

517605[/snapback]

It has to be MaGee, besides being a day two starter he is one of the younger more dynamic players in the NFL, and plays at a premium position. After watching return men on the ticket for two years I have no doubt he is the best kick return man in football. Right now he still gets beat in coverage but he makes up for it by being a ball hawk. Down the road if he can sure up his coverage he could become an elite NFL player

I think Willis was good value,and getting the pick in itself was a ripoff.  I honestly don't see much of a difference though between Willis and Larry Johnson other then the lines they run behind, but basically I think they're the same type of running back.

517559[/snapback]

Larry Johnson's got some speed in the open field

McGahee gets caught from behind or swallowed by the turf monster

Long term, even back then, Henry was a timebomb about to go off. The bomb exploded this year with his suspension & poor play. Henry already had aforementioned fumble problems, a police record and probably already was a toke away from a suspension when TD drafted Willis.

Well in his first draft, his penchant for avoiding the obvious choice (KWalker) that many of y'all were screaming for paid off when he traded down and swiped Nate Clements, Travis Henry and Jonas Jennings below where most had them slotted.

Getting a 1st round pick out of that POS PPrice was outright larceny.

Finangling his way into picking up the Losman/Evans hookup in a 2hr stretch was pretty impressive.

Dealing away a 2ndrounder on draft day for Jerome Bettis turned out pretty well for him.

While he was head of scouting for the Stillers, he picked up Gregg Lloyd, Brent Jones, Hardy Nickerson, John Jackson, Merril Hoge and Justin Strelczyk in the 5th round or later.

After he became GM he picked up Darren Perry, Levon Kirkland, Jeff Zgonina, Joel Steed, Lethon Flowers, Earl Holmes, Hines Ward, Aaron Smith and Joey Porter with Day 2 picks.

I'd probably categorize any of those as shrewder than the McGahee pick.