Oh that free Iraq

Chilly

From http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati...articles30.html

As part of an information offensive in Iraq, the U.S. military is secretly paying Iraqi newspapers to publish stories written by U.S. troops in an effort to burnish the image of the U.S. mission in Iraq.

The articles, written by U.S. military "information operations" troops, are translated into Arabic and placed in Baghdad newspapers with the help of a defense contractor, according to U.S. military officials and documents obtained by the Los Angeles Times.

Many of the articles are presented in the Iraqi press as unbiased accounts written and reported by independent journalists. The stories trumpet the work of U.S. and Iraqi troops, denounce insurgents, and tout U.S.-led rebuilding efforts.

Lets see

The influence of money....Check

Shills posing as "Unbiased" journalists...Check

Iraq's media has already come to closely resemble the American

They grow up so fast don't they?

517052[/snapback]

It is probably much cheaper to plant stories than pay all the people that ran the censors office in post-war Japan.

How come you left out the next paragraph?

While the articles are basically truthful, they present only one side of events and omit information that might reflect poorly on the U.S. or Iraqi governments, officials said. Records and interviews indicate that the U.S. has paid Iraqi newspapers to run dozens of such articles — with headlines such as "Iraqis Insist on Living Despite Terrorism" — since the effort began this year.

The army is paying to have truthful articles printed! The horror! :D

Hell, they should do that over here. How much would it cost to have the NYT and LAT report honestly??

The army is paying to have truthful articles printed!  The horror!  :D

Hell, they should do that over here.  How much would it cost to have the NYT and LAT report honestly??

517189[/snapback]

I'm pissed at the New York Times - I used to be able to read David Brooks online for free - now it is pay per view.

While the articles are basically truthful, they present only one side of events and omit information that might reflect poorly on the U.S. or Iraqi governments

517189[/snapback]

Contrast that with Western news outlets, whose stores are basically truthful but present only one side of events and omit information that might reflect well on the US or Iraqi governments.

I guess the uproar then is...because CNN just realized they're not getting kickbacks to be biased? :D

The army is paying to have truthful articles printed!  The horror!  :D

Hell, they should do that over here.  How much would it cost to have the NYT and LAT report honestly??

517189[/snapback]

How come you didn't bold this part?

they present only one side of events and omit information that might reflect poorly on the U.S. or Iraqi governments, officials said.

Basically trueful articles that leave out information that might make the US look bad. Isn't that called a white lie? :D

Its not really a huge deal that they were doing this - I wouldn't have expected anything else, but I do wish that the government would do more to try to to create an independent media in Iraq.

How come you didn't bold this part?

Basically trueful articles that leave out information that might make the US look bad.  Isn't that called a white lie?  :D

Its not really a huge deal that they were doing this - I wouldn't have expected anything else, but I do wish that the government would do more to try to to create an independent media in Iraq.

517342[/snapback]

Just wondering, is trueful the antonym of falseful? :D