Blockbuster trade in the NHL

Like A Mofo

Boston/SJ

Bruins deal Thornton to Sharks

TSN.ca Staff

11/30/2005 9:57:53 PM

The Boston Bruins have traded Joe Thornton to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for forwards Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau as well as defenceman Brad Stuart.

The Bruins are currently last in the Northeast Division with a record of 8-13-5. However, Thornton has managed to score nine goals and 33 points.

The Sharks have also been disappointing this season, sitting last in the Pacific Division with a record of 8-11-4.

Prior to the season, Thornton was a restrcited free agent and signed a 3-year, $20 million deal with the Bruins and is scheduled to make $6.66 million this season.

Sturm is making $2 million this season, Stuart $1.9 million and Primeau $1.1 million.

Boston/SJ

The Boston Bruins have traded Joe Thornton to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for forwards Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau as well as defenceman Brad Stuart.

516930[/snapback]

I'd say that's a little backwards. The Bruins traded for Stuart primarily and wanted Sturm. Oh yeah, they also got Primeau.

Sturm hasn't fully lived up to expectations in SJ but has been a good player. The Bruins appear to be hoping Sturm becomes the player the Sharks thought he would be when they drafted him with the 21st pick of the '96 draft. I hope he doesn't pick up his play, but it did work for the Bruins a few years back with Glen Murray's 2nd stint in beantown. He had been a good player in LA, but definitely took it up a notch for the B's.

Stuart brings some much needed speed to the B's blueline.

As a regular watcher of the Sharks I think I can give you a pretty good assesment of the trade. Or at least the Shark players. Honestly, the best all around player in this trade is Primeau. He has deceptive speed. Good consistent hustle and has a huge desire to win. If you see him play Thursday for the Bruins(vs the Sens) he should be sporting a scar on his nose and two shiners. He got that when a puck hit him in the face a week or so ago. On the very same shift(about 5 seconds later) he collected himself and scored on a great shot.

Sturm is a good player but seems to disappear for a few games then he will reappear for a game or two. He does have talent though and will use the body on occasion as well.

Stuart has been a disappointment this season. He seemed to be coming along nicely the last two years but seems to have regressed. He's been making alot of mistakes and it seems like his head just isnt in the game. Almost like there is something else going on in his life. But the potential certainly is there.

As a Shark fan I am delighted in the deal and it also explains why the Sharks were dormant in the free agent market after the lockout ended. Thorton is a perennial all star and Team Canada member. No better accomplishment than that, aside from the Stanley Cup.

This also looks like a typical Bruin move though. They save about 2 million a year in this deal. Man thier cheap

Honestly, the best all around player in this trade is Primeau.

516978[/snapback]

You know the Bruins are in turmoil when they trade the face of the franchise (& one of the prominent figures in the NHL) for a package of players being led by Wayne Primeau. I mean. Come on. He's only 26, too! I think Stuart may be successful in Boston, but other than that, what a steal.

Enjoy watching Thornton. And the Sharks, as that trade did wonders for their chances.

Boston/SJ

Bruins deal Thornton to Sharks

TSN.ca Staff

11/30/2005 9:57:53 PM

The Bruins are currently last in the Northeast Division with a record of 8-13-5. However, Thornton has managed to score nine goals and 33 points.

The Sharks have also been disappointing this season, sitting last in the Pacific Division with a record of 8-11-4.

Prior to the season, Thornton was a restrcited free agent and signed a 3-year, $20 million deal with the Bruins and is scheduled to make $6.66 million this season.

Sturm is making $2 million this season, Stuart $1.9 million and Primeau $1.1 million.

516930[/snapback]

Wow. I missed this last night. This is stunning. There must be some GM's on the hot seat for this to go down and for Boston to trade the C sweater.

As a regular watcher of the Sharks I think I can give you a pretty good assesment of the trade. Or at least the Shark players. Honestly, the best all around player in this trade is Primeau. He has deceptive speed. Good consistent hustle and has a huge desire to win.

As Sabres fans we all the only reason Wayne is still in the league is because his last name is Primeau. Stiff.

As a regular watcher of the Sharks I think I can give you a pretty good assesment of the trade. Or at least the Shark players. Honestly, the best all around player in this trade is Primeau. He has deceptive speed. Good consistent hustle and has a huge desire to win. If you see him play Thursday for the Bruins(vs the Sens) he should be sporting a scar on his nose and two shiners. He got that when a puck hit him in the face a week or so ago. On the very same shift(about 5 seconds later) he collected himself and scored on a great shot.

Sturm is a good player but seems to disappear for a few games then he will reappear for a game or two. He does have talent though and will use the body on occasion as well.

Stuart has been a disappointment this season. He seemed to be coming along nicely the last two years but seems to have regressed. He's been making alot of mistakes and it seems like his head just isnt in the game. Almost like there is something else going on in his life. But the potential certainly is there.

As a Shark fan I am delighted in the deal and it also explains why the Sharks were dormant in the free agent market after the lockout ended. Thorton is a perennial all star and Team Canada member. No better accomplishment than that, aside from the Stanley Cup.

This also looks like a typical Bruin move though. They save about 2 million a year in this deal. Man thier cheap

516978[/snapback]

I haven't watched must hockey this year (and very little last year, too :#) )...but, I also thought Primeau was the best of the Shark players traded to Boston...he's pretty good, IMO. Thorton, of course, is outstanding.

I haven't watched must hockey this year (and very little last year, too :#)  )...but, I also thought Primeau was the best of the Shark players traded to Boston...he's pretty good, IMO.  Thorton, of course, is outstanding.

517215[/snapback]

Primeau is the quintessential Sabres forward from 1997-2003: solid, hard-working defensive forward. The main reason he didn't fit in with the Sabres is because Buffalo used a 1st round pick (#17) on him and expected more than 6 goals a year. Every forward on Buffalo's team at that time seemed to have a built-in "defensive" mode.

He would be looked at as a solid, hard-working player everywhere else because he's not carrying the media/fan/organizational pressure of being a top draft pick. He can simply play his game, and not worry about scoring 25 goals or being compared to his brother, like he was in Buffalo.