NFLPA and NFL Management

Bflojohn

A buddy of mine sent me an E-mail and it said that the ramifications of the new CBA that it's highly probable that there is a hard cap on bonuses for incoming rookies when they sign their initial contract. As a result, there could be a flood of underclassmen leaving early, this year, to try and get a larger slice-of-the-pie before the new rules apply. Now, it seems to me, is the time to try and stock up with picks in the upcoming draft. In essence, losing Jonus Jennings and Pat Williams might end up being a part of the young core of players the Bills draft going forward! If compensation picks for these two are 3rd and/or 4th rounders, plus the Tennessee pick for Henry, we'd have the potential for a first day bonanza! :doh:

A buddy of mine sent me an E-mail and it said that the ramifications of the new CBA that it's highly probable that there is a hard cap on bonuses for incoming rookies when they sign their initial contract. As a result, there could be a flood of underclassmen leaving early, this year, to try and get a larger slice-of-the-pie before the new rules apply. Now, it seems to me, is the time to try and stock up with picks in the upcoming draft. In essence, losing Jonus Jennings and Pat Williams might end up being a part of the young core of players the Bills draft going forward! If compensation picks for these two are 3rd and/or 4th rounders, plus the Tennessee pick for Henry, we'd have the potential for a first day bonanza! :doh:

516513[/snapback]

Have you heard anything more about '07 being a "capless" year? Or will a new CBA be hammered out? If it's capless, Do you think it will be like a new California gold rush? The B'gals for one would fall into the toilet - the entire starting line is out of contract after '06, and LT Jones is already grumbling about "lack of appreciation" etc.

I'd love to see a hard cap put not only on bonuses for rookies, but also for total salary. Nothing is more pathetic then watching a team cut a vet that has produced for years just to make room for some rook who's never played who needs a 50 mil contract. Complete BS. Cap the rooks at a couple million a year for the top picks, and then make them actually EARN their pay (as in a big 2nd contract).

Have you heard anything more about '07 being a "capless" year? Or will a new CBA be hammered out?  If it's capless, Do you think it will be like a new California gold rush?  The B'gals for one would fall into the toilet - the entire starting line is out of contract after '06, and LT Jones is already grumbling about "lack of appreciation" etc.

516526[/snapback]

The last I heard the cap will be in place in the new CBA. The biggest holdup of getting the new CBA done is revenue sharing between teams. I believe TV revenue will determine the salary cap still, but the smaller market owners want to share in larger markets marketing revenues.

edit: They can't get a CBA done until everyone can agree to what revenues the players get a % of.

The last I heard the cap will be in place in the new CBA. The biggest holdup of getting the new CBA done is revenue sharing between teams. I believe TV revenue will determine the salary cap still, but the smaller market owners want to share in larger markets marketing revenues.

516536[/snapback]

Thanks - I recall hearing that, and the worry about the big-money clubs wanting to break away in some fashion (don't recall the details) so they can cash in on trinket sales thanks to their bigger market exposure.

I wouldn't think that a flood of underclassmen entering the draft would result from this.

Except for 1st round and to a far less extent 2nd & 3rd rookie bonuses are quite reasonable.

It might persuade a few top notch prospects to enter where they might otherwise opt to stay in school for another year, but I wouldn't imagine it'll make the total talent pool more than maybe a round better. (i.e. you can pick up what would normally be a 3rd round talent well into the 4th round.)