Hmmm..get rid of Moulds,Clements...

Tcali

Rico, I agree with every move except Moulds.  Is Moulds the game breaker he was 3-5 years ago, definately not.  But, he still commands respect around the league, has developed into quite the possession receiver (a la Keyshawn) and takes pressure off Evans and Parrish.  I don't think that is something I'd mess with, especially considering that cutting Moulds would hinder the devlopment of Losman.  Give it a year.  Let Parrish assume a greater role, Everett get worked into the system and allow Evans another year to grow.  Then, I may agree with cutting him.  For now, I believe our WRs are just too green and they'd get smothered without EM.

516346[/snapback]

Then if you're the GM, you've got to ask yourself how many more years do you want him around & at what price?

Here's Clumpy's numbers on EM:

Salary: $6.089 million

Old proration: $2 million (from $12 million s.b. he rec'd in 2001)

New Proration: $1,666,667

Reporting bonus: $1 million (likely due at start of training camp)

Work out bonus: $100,000

Pro Bowl bonus: $200,000 (NLTBE)

Cap hit: $10,855,667

Salary: $7.25 million

New proration: $1,666,667

Cap hit: $8,916,667

If you do nothing, he's going to get paid $7.2M in both 2006 and 2007 = $14.4M not yet paid. Let's say you extend him another 2 years to 2009.. if EM even wants to do it, IMO he'll need at least $10-12M of that $14M upfront in the form of a signing bonus.When all is said & done, your dead cap hit for cutting him 2 years from now (half of $10-12M) will be just as high or higher than it'd be after this season... I would just cut the cord now, because I don't think he will be getting any better, only worse. :doh:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the players being discussed as possibly leaving the Bills next year, IMO TD has to ask himself 2 questions:

1. Do I want them on the team next year?

2. With the cap space I free up by dumping them, can I still get an upgrade?

Clumpy has done some outstanding work as usual over in the Salary Cap Forum of the Zone. Looking at his numbers, here's how I see TD's answers going at this time.

MW: not wanted, $3.9M cap freed up by early cutting, yes - Peters is already on the roster, that cap space can be better used elsewhere... goodbye

Moulds: wanted, but $5.5M cap freed up by early cutting, yes - a viable replacement can be found for much less than $5.5M, the left-over cap space can be better used elsewhere... goodbye

Milloy: maybe,  $2.75M cap freed up by early cutting, I'd probably keep him aanother year.

Vincent: maybe,  $0.8M cap freed up by early cutting, better off keeping another year for at least veteran depth.

Posey: not wanted, $1.75M cap freed up by early cutting, goodbye.

Adams: maybe,  cap freed up by early cutting TBD Clumpy's current estimate $2M, I'd have to keep him.

B. Anderson: not wanted, $.9M cap freed up by early cutting, goodbye. :doh:

So, if I was TD, I'd cut MW, Moulds, Posey, & Fat Bennie, saving $12M in cap space. I'd try to sign Nate (franchise if necessary), find a replacement for Moulds, and put the rest in the lines. Will he do it? I sure hope so, but I can see at least one messy extension in the future. :D

516175[/snapback]

Good post. We have to improve our offensive line first. That is the top priority. Hopefully Moulds will stay. I would like to see the Bills purchase a good offensive line like we had in the early 90's.

TO or Moulds? I'd take T.O. Think of it this way. Buffalo would get ALL the media attention Buffalonians have ever wanted. he would put pressure on the offense to perform, call out players when necessary, and demand a true double team. Moulds is good, I respect his skills but he has no break away speed or power anymore, he's good for like 1-2 yards after the catch. TO in red white and Blue....

so what im seeing for the most part is that noone is realy upset with his way of playing and his production, save for a few ppl, but the fact he just costs so much...I dont understand sometimes why ppl care so much about how much buffalo pays its players...its like being pissed off at your neighbor for paying to much for his car and you know he could've gotten a cheaper one somewhere else, and now you hate your neighbor...me personally, I dont care how much these guys are getting paid. I know every damn one of them in the nfl is getting paid to much to play a sport so whats the use careing wich one gets paid more than the other...

another thing ive noticed(talking about moulds production), is that moulds seems to be sent on a lot of short routes and mediume comeback routes...two plays come to mind of this..1). was when we needed 8 yards for a first down on a 4 -8 and we sent moulds 7 yards..first ill say i hate thos plays because we needed 8 so send him 8 not 7..he cought the ball but was hit before he could turn upfeild..2). when we put moulds either on the line of scrimage or just behind it and threw the ball to him quickly..first ill say that this play is my all time most hated play...why throw -2 yards to try to gain yards..especially when the receiver is standing still.. I can see throwing 2 yards to a guy that is on the move but to a guy -2 yards standing still..god I hate that...anyways..some of moulds low production needs to be blamed on MM game play calling.

Then if you're the GM, you've got to ask yourself how many more years do you want him around & at what price?

Here's Clumpy's numbers on EM:

If you do nothing, he's going to get paid $7.2M in both 2006 and 2007 = $14.4M not yet paid. Let's say you extend him another 2 years to 2009.. if EM even wants to do it, IMO he'll need at least $10-12M of that $14M upfront in the form of a signing bonus.When all is said & done, your dead cap hit for cutting him 2 years from now (half of $10-12M) will be just as high or higher than it'd be after this season... I would just cut the cord now, because I don't think he will be getting any better, only worse.  :doh:

516537[/snapback]

I say pay the man his 18 million till the end of the his contract. To me, blowing a hole in your receiving corps the likes this team has ever seen is the alternative and something I'd rather not have happen. They'd be paying his prorated bonus money anyways so why not have the man here rather than having Losman up the creek without the proverbial paddle.

I keep hearing you cut the cord guys but I've yet to hear who you'd see replacing Moulds.

so what im seeing for the most part is that noone is realy upset with his way of playing and his production, save for a few ppl, but the fact he just costs so much...I dont understand sometimes why ppl care so much about how much buffalo pays its players

516547[/snapback]

It's not about the money per se, it's about the cap. If there was no cap, I wouldn't care at all, it's Ralph's money, not mine. :doh:

If you do nothing, he's going to get paid $7.2M in both 2006 and 2007 = $14.4M not yet paid. Let's say you extend him another 2 years to 2009.. if EM even wants to do it, IMO he'll need at least $10-12M of that $14M upfront in the form of a signing bonus.When all is said & done, your dead cap hit for cutting him 2 years from now (half of $10-12M) will be just as high or higher than it'd be after this season... I would just cut the cord now, because I don't think he will be getting any better, only worse.

With all of the cuts you propose, and I agree with, and the dead $$ coming off for Bledsoe we won't be hurting for cap space, even if we franchised Nate and signed an OL/cheaper DT (see Jackson, Grady).

I disagree with any extension for EM. But why not simply keep him. Yes, 10.8 is a lot, but not ridiculous. The cap will rise next year. As long as it doesn't hamper our ability to rebuild the lines, keep him and pay him. At least for one season to protect our young offensive players, I don't see the problem.

With all of the cuts you propose, and I agree with, and the dead $$ coming off for Bledsoe we won't be hurting for cap space, even if we franchised Nate and signed an OL/cheaper DT (see Jackson, Grady). 

I disagree with any extension for EM.  But why not simply keep him.  Yes, 10.8 is a lot, but not ridiculous.  The cap will rise next year.  As long as it doesn't hamper our ability to rebuild the lines, keep him and pay him.  At least for one season to protect our young offensive players, I don't see the problem.

516560[/snapback]

Agreed on rather keeping him for 1 more year than extending him... cut him after 2006, only $1.7M dead cap hit. Anything but an extension.

I do think 10.8 is ridiculous, though. :doh:

I don't know...Reggie Wayne has "Peerless Price" written all over him. To me, at least.

516458[/snapback]

I disagree. Peerless excels from the slot. His size can be a disadvantage. And he really only looked great in the Air Gilbride/Bledsoe offense. I wouldn't forget that having Vick as a QB did nothing for him, either. Losman displays much more of a propensity for using his WRs.

Wayne is slightly bigger than Peerless (and Harrison), he's averaged over 12 YPC every year of his career (career average: close to 14). He also has a longer record of success than Peerless. At year 5, he is hitting his peak and is ready to post solid numbers even though Harrison and James are having great years.

I think if we're looking for Lee to become #1 (and based on the kind of play we saw in the KC game, he can be), Wayne is a solid, solid 1B.

You're so off on Eric's salary worth it's not even funny. If he were to be cut there'd be a line of teams vying for his services and he'd get about a 3 year contract in the 5 million per year range with a 5 million signing bonus. Other NFL teams know how screwed Moulds was in 2005 with how badly the QB situation pulled his numbers down. Although Eric may be making a million or two more than he's worth, you don't cut your nose off to spite your face. The Bills offense would no doubt be so screwed without him in 2006.

If Moulds is cut who's the Bills #1 receiver?

516518[/snapback]

i'd be willing to bet that moulds will end up making what i say he'll make if he's cut. how much do more productive aging receivers make like galloway, keyshawn johnson, terry glenn, keenan mccardell, etc. make? in the $2 million range if they're lucky.

I say pay the man his 18 million till the end of the his contract. To me, blowing a hole in your receiving corps the likes this team has ever seen is the alternative and something I'd rather not have happen. They'd be paying his prorated bonus money anyways so why not have the man here rather than having Losman up the creek without the proverbial paddle.

I keep hearing you cut the cord guys but I've yet to hear who you'd see replacing Moulds.

516555[/snapback]

there are about 5 or 6 guys i really like on the list below, some of whom i see getting better in the future. are any of them better than moulds? wayne, but that's really it. a few are his equal, though. as well, they'll be a crop of cuts to come (T.O., etc.). in any event, they will all come significantly cheaper than moulds.

look, i'd love to see moulds stay, and i'd be thrilled to see him take a pay cut that makes his salary commensurate with his production. but let's face it -- his presence on the team hasn't helped the bills to become anything better than one of the worst offensive teams in the league three years going. it's not all him, of course, but it does speak to the fact that he's no longer a difference maker. that's what he used to be, after all. and he's not going to get any better.

as for evans, he has more upside than moulds, is faster, and has better hands. i expect him to be the #1 guy next year regardless of whether moulds is here or not.

2006 NFL Free Agents

Wide Receivers

Player Type 2005 Team

Aaron Moorehead RFA Colts

Andre' Davis UFA Patriots

Antonio Bryant UFA Browns

Antwaan Randle El UFA Steelers

Arnaz Battle RFA 49ers

Az-Zahir Hakim UFA Saints

Brad Pyatt RFA Colts

Brandon Lloyd RFA 49ers

Bryan Gilmore UFA Dolphins

Cedric James UFA Patriots

Charlie Adams RFA Broncos

Chris Horn RFA Chiefs

Corey Bradford UFA Texans

Cortez Hankton RFA Jaguars

Darnerian McCants UFA Eagles

David Boston UFA Dolphins

David Givens UFA Patriots

David Tyree RFA Giants

Derick Armstrong RFA Texans

Dez White UFA Falcons

Edell Shepherd RFA Buccaneers

Ike Hilliard UFA Buccaneers

J.J. Moses RFA Cardinals

Jabar Gaffney UFA Texans

Jason McAddley UFA 49ers

Jerheme Urban RFA Seahawks

Jerome Pathon UFA Falcons

Joe Jurevicius UFA Seahawks

Kassim Osgood RFA Chargers

Keenan McCardell UFA Chargers

Kelley Washington RFA Bengals

Kendall Newson UFA Dolphins

Kevin Curtis RFA Rams

Kevin Johnson UFA Lions

Kevin Walter RFA Bengals

Koren Robinson UFA Vikings

Marc Boerigter UFA Chiefs

Michael Lewis UFA Saints

Nate Burleson RFA Vikings

Patrick Johnson UFA Ravens

Peerless Price UFA Cowboys

Peter Warrick UFA Seahawks

Quincy Morgan UFA Steelers

Randal Williams UFA Raiders

Reche Caldwell UFA Chargers

Reggie Swinton UFA Cardinals

Reggie Wayne UFA Colts

Rod Gardner UFA Panthers

Sam Aiken UFA Bills

Sean Morey UFA Steelers

Shaun McDonald RFA Rams

Tim Carter UFA Giants

Tim Dwight UFA Patriots

Troy Brown UFA Patriots

Troy Edwards UFA Lions

Troy Walters UFA Colts

Willie Ponder RFA Giants

Look all this cut Moulds stuff is crazy talk. He hasn't had stellar year I'll grant you. But who on this offense has? Sure he his discouraged. But, defenses still roll coverages to his side and he's still the money target for JP. Getting rid of him will only stunt JP's growth and worse, make an anemic offense even more forlorn.

I think TD has to try to get him to restructure. If all else fails, they could cut him, but only if someone like a Reggie Wayne is coming here (probably for *more* $$, not less than $5M). You also can't underestimate QB to WR chemistry. Plus he's a crafty, sly mofo - off all the veterans on this team, this guy is the one who is the most beneficial to the youngsters.

I just don't see the logic for the sake of saving the coin...The last time we did this, we turned our D-line into Running Back Expressway...

Yee Gads...

Charles

Look all this cut Moulds stuff is crazy talk.  He hasn't had stellar year I'll grant you.  But who on this offense has?  Sure he his discouraged.  But, defenses  still roll coverages to his side and he's still the money target for JP.  Getting rid of him will only stunt JP's growth and worse, make an anemic offense even more forlorn.

I think TD has to try to get him to restructure.  If all else fails, they could cut him, but only if someone like a Reggie Wayne is coming here (probably for *more* $$, not less than $5M).  You also can't underestimate QB to WR chemistry.  Plus he's a crafty, sly mofo - off all the veterans on this team, this guy is the one who is the most beneficial to the youngsters.

I just don't see the logic for the sake of saving the coin...The last time we did this, we turned our D-line into Running Back Expressway...

Yee Gads...

Charles

516619[/snapback]

I really do understand the point that you are making. The thing is, when does it end? Often when contracts are restructured, the hits are simply delayed. I guess this would be OK in some situations, but not for the Bills imo.

A great example is Mike Williams. He already is killing the Bills cap in 07. Did you know this? Because he is under contract, he actually counts. As far as I know, so does Moulds.

Keeping Moulds (and Williams) lends itself to a Fina/Ostroski situation where it cost almost 11 million dollars in dead cap space to cut these guys when they were horrid beyond words. After he was cut, Fina was a scrub on the Cards for a few games. Ostroski was immediately out of football.

TD has not always taken the team in my chosen direction, but I am hoping that he has brains enough to chop off the dead (or dying) wood before it costs us our future. He was good at this upon arrival, and this is one area in which I am counting on him to do the right thing and lop off the old branches.

Bill-

I agree with respect to the restructuring of EM, but why not simply keep him for 06 at his present number? I know its high (10.8), but if the cuts proceed as expected, and the cap rises, then we could afford EM and fix our lines. EM provides a nice security blanket for the younger players.

Then, if and when he is cut after the 06 season, he only counts 1.7 in cap room for that season. Seems a bit better than cutting him after 05 and taking the 5.2 mil hit. At least, then you have a productive player for what he counts against your cap.

Bill-

I agree with respect to the restructuring of EM, but why not simply keep him for 06 at his present number?  I know its high (10.8), but if the cuts proceed as expected, and the cap rises, then we could afford EM and fix our lines.  EM provides a nice security blanket for the younger players.

Then, if and when he is cut after the 06 season, he only counts 1.7 in cap room for that season.  Seems a bit better than cutting him after 05 and taking the 5.2 mil hit.  At least, then you have a productive player for what he counts against your cap.

516633[/snapback]

Your question is tough to answer. For one thing, the season isn't over. TD will certainly have to see how Moulds holds up in the final games.

Also, the cap spaced to be gained is tempting. I would rather overpay a young Steve Hutchinson than an aging, bitching Eric Moulds.

This decision will probably hinge upon what can be done with the extra cap space, or so I see it.

Bill-

I agree with respect to the restructuring of EM, but why not simply keep him for 06 at his present number?  I know its high (10.8), but if the cuts proceed as expected, and the cap rises, then we could afford EM and fix our lines.  EM provides a nice security blanket for the younger players.

Then, if and when he is cut after the 06 season, he only counts 1.7 in cap room for that season.  Seems a bit better than cutting him after 05 and taking the 5.2 mil hit.  At least, then you have a productive player for what he counts against your cap.

516633[/snapback]

Exactly. Taking away your young quaterback's best go to receiver for the sake of a five million dollar cap savings is an insane thing to do. Especially when there are no TE's to speak of on this team and Lee Evans is having a down year.

Bill-

516633[/snapback]

i actually see your point here. but i keep coming back to the fact that the offense has been train-wreck terrible for 3 years in a row, and this is the worst of the three. they were 28th in 03, 24th in 04, and 29th this year. and this comes after spending a *lot* of high picks on skill positions since 2002 (1 first on a WR, 2 seconds on WRs, 1 first on a RB, and 2 first on qbs (inclusive of bledsoe)). something radical needs to be done in terms of overall direction.

Exactly. Taking away your young quaterback's best go to receiver for the sake of a five million dollar cap savings is an insane thing to do. Especially when there are no TE's to speak of on this team and Lee Evans is having a down year.

516649[/snapback]

Introducing Kevin Everett.

Evans will get better.

10.8 mill is a lot of cap room. A lot. You expect production that warrants it. We'll see how Eric looks these last few games. It sounds as though he has finally at least bought into the fact that JP is the best quarterback for the team right now. That has to help.