Hmmm..get rid of Moulds,Clements...

Tcali

..and combine that with another bust draft and little positive again in the FA market...and our Buffalo Bills would have a hard time beating the University of Miami.-Lets hope TD doesnt get too 'brilliant' with his moves again next year.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the players being discussed as possibly leaving the Bills next year, IMO TD has to ask himself 2 questions:

1. Do I want them on the team next year?

2. With the cap space I free up by dumping them, can I still get an upgrade?

Clumpy has done some outstanding work as usual over in the Salary Cap Forum of the Zone. Looking at his numbers, here's how I see TD's answers going at this time.

MW: not wanted, $3.9M cap freed up by early cutting, yes - Peters is already on the roster, that cap space can be better used elsewhere... goodbye

Moulds: wanted, but $5.5M cap freed up by early cutting, yes - a viable replacement can be found for much less than $5.5M, the left-over cap space can be better used elsewhere... goodbye

Milloy: maybe, $2.75M cap freed up by early cutting, I'd probably keep him aanother year.

Vincent: maybe, $0.8M cap freed up by early cutting, better off keeping another year for at least veteran depth.

Posey: not wanted, $1.75M cap freed up by early cutting, goodbye.

Adams: maybe, cap freed up by early cutting TBD Clumpy's current estimate $2M, I'd have to keep him.

B. Anderson: not wanted, $.9M cap freed up by early cutting, goodbye. :doh:

So, if I was TD, I'd cut MW, Moulds, Posey, & Fat Bennie, saving $12M in cap space. I'd try to sign Nate (franchise if necessary), find a replacement for Moulds, and put the rest in the lines. Will he do it? I sure hope so, but I can see at least one messy extension in the future. :doh:

..and combine that with another bust draft and little positive again in the FA market...and our Buffalo Bills would have a hard time beating the University of Miami.-Lets hope TD doesnt get too 'brilliant' with his moves again next year.

516167[/snapback]

A few more moves like last year and we'll be the university of Miami.

question on the moulds move...is the fact everyone wants to get rid of moulds due to he opened his mouth about the QB position or just to save money? I personaly dont see any reason to get rid of moulds...evans hasnt proved to be #1 material yet and we really havent opened up the passing game this year at all...right now moulds comands a double team and helps free up other wr's..without moulds our wr's will be covered big time..only and only if you can bring in a huge FA #1 would i get rid of moulds..and usually most teams do what they can to keep their #1's in house...as said in other posts, with moulds dwindling #'s this year I would more likely sign him to an extention with less money in 06 and 07 and wait till we have the o-line redone and can spend money on a top #1 wr to cut him..jmho

question on the moulds move...is the fact everyone wants to get rid of moulds due to he opened his mouth about the QB position or just to save money? I personaly dont see any reason to get rid of moulds...evans hasnt proved to be #1 material yet and we really havent opened up the passing game this year at all...right now moulds comands a double team and helps free up other wr's..without moulds our wr's will be covered big time..only and only if you can bring in a huge FA #1 would i get rid of moulds..and usually most teams do what they can to keep their #1's in house...as said in other posts, with moulds dwindling #'s this year I would more likely sign him to an extention with less money in 06 and 07 and wait till we have the o-line redone and can spend money on a top #1 wr to cut him..jmho

516192[/snapback]

Only problem being - he's hardly #1 WR material himself any more...

Only problem being - he's hardly #1 WR material himself any more...

516193[/snapback]

How can you tell? As far as I know he had a woefully inaccurate and inexperienced JP Losman during the first four games and then he had the noodle armed Kelly Holcomb the next four games after that. Eric Moulds is still a top ten receiver if given a QB that can get him the ball. I could totally see the Bills giving up on Eric and having a team like the Eagles pick him up and seeing him have a monster year. Should I mention the fact that the Bills have the second worst pass protecting offensive line in the league? But Eric Moulds somehow sucks all of a sudden. Moulds IS still #1 material, he'll be the #1 man next season also whether it's for the Bills or for someone else. I'm tired of the Moulds bashing and the eagerness here of fans wanting Eric gone, it's amazing to me.

How can you tell? As far as I know he had a woefully inaccurate and inexperienced JP Losman during the first four games and then he had the noodle armed Kelly Holcomb the next four games after that. Eric Moulds is still a top ten receiver if given a QB that can get him the ball. I could totally see the Bills giving up on Eric and having a team like the Eagles pick him up and seeing him have a monster year. Should I mention the fact that the Bills have the second worst pass protecting offensive line in the league? But Eric Moulds somehow sucks all of a sudden. Moulds IS still #1 material, he'll be the #1 man next season also whether it's for the Bills or for someone else. I'm tired of the Moulds bashing and the eagerness here of fans wanting Eric gone, it's amazing to me.

516232[/snapback]

Sorry Mrs Moulds...

Has he been consistently getting good separation? Has he consistently been making tough catched and YAC? I like EM - want him to stay. But after 10 yrs - it's almost time to call it a day. Almost.

516192[/snapback]

I'm absolutely with Horus on this. I think too many people here minimize the difficulty of finding a replacment for Moulds who is going to command the respect he gets from defenses. The assumption that Evans is automatically going to step up, wihtout Moulds on the other side, is like the assumption Atlanta made that Peerless Price would be a number 1 receiver no matter who was lined up on the other side, or the idea TD had that he could cut Christie and come up with a reliable kicker from just about anywhere.

Sorry Mrs Moulds...

Has he been consistently getting good separation?  Has he consistently been making tough catched and YAC?  I like EM - want him to stay. But after 10 yrs - it's almost time to call it a day. Almost.

516244[/snapback]

Hard to get "good" separation when you are double teamed all game long. I have a feeling Moulds will be making you eat those words in the coming weeks considering how much confidence JP is throwing the ball with.

516232[/snapback]

Thank you. There are many problems with this team, but Moulds isn't one of them. He is one of the few bright spots at this point. His numbers may be down, but are anyone's numbers up this year? Mcgahee? Evans? GO BILLS!!!!!!

Thank you.  There are many problems with this team, but Moulds isn't one of them.  He is one of the few bright spots at this point.  His numbers may be down, but are anyone's numbers up this year?  Mcgahee? Evans?  GO BILLS!!!!!!

516279[/snapback]

But what you have to look at is he worth the cap space when you have so many other pressing needs on the lines. I think Eric is still a talent, and he will go elsewhere and have an impact, it just will not be here. You cannot B word and moan about the quality of the lines, and not take some money from elsewhere to address that PRESSING need

question on the moulds move...is the fact everyone wants to get rid of moulds due to he opened his mouth

516192[/snapback]

I thought we should have traded Moulds last summer. That would have been the last time Buffalo could get something decent for him, IMO. Nothing personal, but from a value standpoint, that should have been the time. I think his value has diminished considerably since last summer.

I'm absolutely with Horus on this.  I think too many people here minimize the difficulty of finding a replacment for Moulds who is going to command the respect he gets from defenses.  The assumption that Evans is automatically going to step up, wihtout Moulds on the other side, is like the assumption Atlanta made that Peerless Price would be a number 1 receiver no matter who was lined up on the other side, or the idea TD had that he could cut Christie and come up with a reliable kicker from just about anywhere.

516245[/snapback]

That says it very well. Though the $ will be an issue, this is not a situation to be taken lightly as far as who the replacement will be...

But what you have to look at is he worth the cap space when you have so many other pressing needs on the lines. I think Eric is still a talent, and he will go elsewhere and have an impact, it just will not be here. You cannot B word and moan about the quality of the lines, and not take some money from elsewhere  to address that PRESSING need

516281[/snapback]

Well, what if he is willing to restructure or take a pay cut again? Would you still want him gone? I feel a very valid point was made regarding the ease with which we could find a replacement for EM- It wouldn't be easy or cheap. I hope he can work on his contract and be back. In the salary cap era, it's nice to have at least one guy as a constant.

516192[/snapback]

Yes, I think a lot of posters are mad that he pee'd on their shiny new toy.

I agree with 1billsfan, that this is not the best year to be evaluating wide receivers. A drop is a drop and will still get you cut, but you have to be more carefull about judging competant play with a dropoff in production.

But what you have to look at is he worth the cap space when you have so many other pressing needs on the lines. I think Eric is still a talent, and he will go elsewhere and have an impact, it just will not be here. You cannot B word and moan about the quality of the lines, and not take some money from elsewhere  to address that PRESSING need

516281[/snapback]

Newsflash, #1 wide receivers make a lot of money. For good reason too, if a team has no threats at the wideout position then they had better damn well have the best run blocking team in football. Why is it that you think us having a good line is tied into Eric Moulds' contract? Last I knew the Colts are paying Harrison top dollar and they have a great line. One does not excude the other and there are true bums on this team the Bills need to cut ties with to free up money. Do you honestly think Lee Evans is a #1 receiver after this season? Please tell me you don't. And who is going to be the #2 receiver? Please tell me this. If you don't pay top dollar on a receiver then you'll end up getting what you payed for. Crap. You want a pressing need???? If you get rid of Eric Moulds then wideout WILL be our most pressing need. I can B word and moan about the quality of our lines AND still want Moulds back next season. I'd find another target if I were you because life without Moulds would be way too painfull for the Bills.

So, if I was TD, I'd cut MW, Moulds, Posey, & Fat Bennie, saving $12M in cap space. I'd try to sign Nate (franchise if necessary), find a replacement for Moulds, and put the rest in the lines. Will he do it? I sure hope so, but I can see at least one messy extension in the future.

Rico, I agree with every move except Moulds. Is Moulds the game breaker he was 3-5 years ago, definately not. But, he still commands respect around the league, has developed into quite the possession receiver (a la Keyshawn) and takes pressure off Evans and Parrish. I don't think that is something I'd mess with, especially considering that cutting Moulds would hinder the devlopment of Losman. Give it a year. Let Parrish assume a greater role, Everett get worked into the system and allow Evans another year to grow. Then, I may agree with cutting him. For now, I believe our WRs are just too green and they'd get smothered without EM.

516192[/snapback]

Moulds is hardly double-teamed this year....The pass protection has been so

poor, we really don't know if Evans is a #1 or not....However, the # of balls

dropped by Moulds this year is a fair indicator that he is not a #1 anymore.

However, I would like to have Moulds as a complimentatry receiver for a much

lesser cap hit. I think Moulds should understand that and agree to a pay cut

to stay back so that this team can get Cap relief that can be effectively spent

on the OL and DL....

516232[/snapback]

The facts come out from the # of dropped balls Moulds has had this year.

Add to that some of the half-hearted attempts to get to some overthrown

balls....Plus look at the Yards after catch....He has a poor YAC.....Many

games he had 4 or 5 catches for 35 yards...that doesn't cut it....

Moulds will never be a #1 for any other team....I can't see a team dumping

#1 type money on a player who has been in the league for 9 years ....Look

at Keyshawn Johnson...he is not the #1 WR at Dallas...it is Terry Glenn...

d