Activists taken hostage in Iraq

KD in CA

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ges-051129.html

Wait, you mean tromping around Iraq with a "Bush Bad, America Bad" mission statement doesn't endear you to the insurgents?  I'm shocked.  :rolleyes:

515764[/snapback]

Christian Peacemaker is a volunteer organization that sends teams to crisis zones around the world. Their activities in Canada include a clear-cutting issue in Kenora, Ont., that has pitted native people against forest giant Abitibi-Consolidated.

In Iraq, the group has monitored elections, advocated for prisoners of the Abu Ghraib jail, and helped with human rights activities.

I think their message is not "Bush Bad," but one of nonviolence with regard to many world issues. You might not agree with it, but your assessment of it is reductive. They are proposing alternatives to violent resistance.

Christian Peacemakers

I think their message is not "Bush Bad," but one of nonviolence with regard to many world issues.  You might not agree with it, but your assessment of it is reductive.  They are proposing alternatives to violent resistance.

Christian Peacemakers

515789[/snapback]

Their stated message may not be 'Bush Bad', but their actions are almost entirely driven towards that opinion. I am familiar with their web site; here is the "Talking Points" page about their favorite topic:

http://www.cpt.org/iraq/TalkingPointsDetaineeAbuseMay.htm

Naah, that isn't anti-US at all. :rolleyes: Lots of discussion in there about the number of civilians killed by insurgents. If they are so concerned about 'alternatives to violence', why do they ignore the fact many/most/virtually all of the detainees are guilty of violence? Instead they create an adopt-a-detainee program? Right, cause becoming pen pals with an insurgent is a sure way to a more peaceful world.

That site is so one sided in its assessments that any suggestion to the contrary is simply laughable. Here’s a question: why has this group only been active in Iraq since 2002? There wasn’t violence and abuse in Iraq prior to that time?

Their stated message may not be 'Bush Bad', but their actions are almost entirely driven towards that opinion.  I am familiar with their web site;  here is the "Talking Points" page about their favorite topic:

Naah, that isn't anti-US at all.  :rolleyes:  Lots of discussion in there about the number of civilians killed by insurgents.  If they are so concerned about 'alternatives to violence', why do they ignore the fact many/most/virtually all of the detainees are guilty of violence?  Instead they create an adopt-a-detainee program?  Right, cause becoming pen pals with an insurgent is a sure way to a more peaceful world.

That site is so one sided in its assessments that any suggestion to the contrary is simply laughable.  Here’s a question:  why has this group only been active in Iraq since 2002?  There wasn’t violence and abuse in Iraq prior to that time?

515819[/snapback]

Maybe that nice man Sadaam what's his name didn't want them around.

Their stated message may not be 'Bush Bad', but their actions are almost entirely driven towards that opinion.  I am familiar with their web site;  here is the "Talking Points" page about their favorite topic:

Naah, that isn't anti-US at all.  :rolleyes:  Lots of discussion in there about the number of civilians killed by insurgents.  If they are so concerned about 'alternatives to violence', why do they ignore the fact many/most/virtually all of the detainees are guilty of violence?  Instead they create an adopt-a-detainee program?  Right, cause becoming pen pals with an insurgent is a sure way to a more peaceful world.

That site is so one sided in its assessments that any suggestion to the contrary is simply laughable.  Here’s a question:  why has this group only been active in Iraq since 2002?  There wasn’t violence and abuse in Iraq prior to that time?

515819[/snapback]

How possible do you think activity for a group of this sort in Iraq under Saddam would have been? Honest question. I would believe it wouldn't be possible at all, but I don't know the finer details.

I think the first half of your assessment is worth looking into, and I had the same questions myself. They definitely should be making the point that, if they are against violence, they propose non-violent action on the part of Iraqis as a statement against injustice. It's entirely necessary if they're to be taken seriously at all.

How possible do you think activity for a group of this sort in Iraq under Saddam would have been?  Honest question.  I would believe it wouldn't be possible at all, but I don't know the finer details.

I think the first half of your assessment is worth looking into, and I had the same questions myself.  They definitely should be making the point that, if they are against violence, they propose non-violent action on the part of Iraqis as a statement against injustice.  It's entirely necessary if they're to be taken seriously at all.

515829[/snapback]

So now that they have the opportunity to complain, they lash out at the folks who gave them the opportunity. If you have a dog that bites your hand, usually you put it down.

How possible do you think activity for a group of this sort in Iraq under Saddam would have been?  Honest question.  I would believe it wouldn't be possible at all, but I don't know the finer details.

I think the first half of your assessment is worth looking into, and I had the same questions myself.  They definitely should be making the point that, if they are against violence, they propose non-violent action on the part of Iraqis as a statement against injustice.  It's entirely necessary if they're to be taken seriously at all.

515829[/snapback]

Of course it wouldn't have been possible -- that's the point. These idiots are only there BECAUSE of 'Bush Bad'.

Every piece of content on their site tells me that their only means of 'ending violence' is to criticize every move made by the US, but never that of the insurgency (or anyone else).

So now that they have the opportunity to complain, they lash out at the folks who gave them the opportunity.  If you have a dog that bites your hand, usually you put it down.

516270[/snapback]

Don't you know that these are US government spies posing as peace activists?

I read it this morning. Nobody really believes Bush is Bad. :doh:

Just in case you thought I made this up.

Spies!!!!

Edited by X. Benedict

Naah, that isn't anti-US at all.  :doh:  Lots of discussion in there about the number of civilians killed by insurgents.  If they are so concerned about 'alternatives to violence', why do they ignore the fact many/most/virtually all of the detainees are guilty of violence?  Instead they create an adopt-a-detainee program?  Right, cause becoming pen pals with an insurgent is a sure way to a more peaceful world.

515819[/snapback]

Yeah, it was horrible there no doubt but the conclusion does not follow that it is a safer place now. We have no idea who and how many died under Saddam in the last 2+ years of his rule but certainly, we do know that lots and lots have died in the last 2+ years since we invaded Iraq. I think that if any conclusion can be drawn at this point it is that Iraq was a murderous place before we got there and despite all we have spent in lives and wealth over the last 2+ years, it still is.

I'm not sure that was our goal. I don't recall the administration using the campaign slogan: "Iraq, we haven't made it any worse" back in the fall of '04.