Replay In the Giants Game

plenzmd1

Allright, couple of things here that are starting to piss me off with this replay thing and rules in general.

Saw where the league says two errors were made on the Giants touchdowns. One, I somewhat agree with the Shockey catch not being a catch, but they are including Toomers catch . That one looked good to me even afetr the replay. Anyone know why that one is said to be wrong.

But the thing that annoys me is Holmgren having to call a timeout to get the Shockey catch in overtime reviewed. Now, damnit, thats an important call, and after the first replay it was obvious it at least needed to be reviewed. But upstairs, they were letting play go on. I just think this rule has got to changed. To let a game possibly be decided by dolts up in the booth, and how fast a network shows a replay, seems unfair to me. Seems to me in the last two minutes of each half or overtime, a coach needs a way to say hey, review that stinking play. Should be a big penalty if they are wrong, but still seems unfair to me.

And another thing, I want the NFL to go back to the old rules in terms of out of bounds plays. Sick of seeing 8-10 possesion games, crimminy, in college you get that in the first half.

And another thing, I want the NFL to go back to the old rules in terms of out of bounds plays. Sick of seeing 8-10 possesion games, crimminy, in college you get that in the first half.

515298[/snapback]

I love the college rule of clock stops to move the chains after a 1st down. End of close games are intense!!!

I love the college rule of clock stops to move the chains after a 1st down.  End of close games are intense!!!

515316[/snapback]

i love it too. In the NFL, theres almost no chance of a team driving from its own 30 with 30 seconds and no timeouts left to score and win/tie. In college, thats a world of time, and you can use the middle of the field!

The reason is because the freaking TV commercials control everything. I swear it is becoming harder and harder to watch or last through a whole game anymore. Its downright disgusting. I'm not just talking Bills, because they suck, but the entire NFL is becoming one giant advertisment.

College Football has more excitement, and of course there are blowouts, but close games are really the better of the two leagues IMO.

The reason is because the freaking TV commercials control everything. I swear it is becoming harder and harder to watch or last through a whole game anymore. Its downright disgusting. I'm not just talking Bills, because they suck, but the entire NFL is becoming one giant advertisment.

College Football has more excitement, and of course there are blowouts, but close games are really the better of the two leagues IMO.

515579[/snapback]

Oh, I understand thay changed the OB rules to try and keep games at 3 hrs, but who the hell really cares if a game is 3 hrs, or 3 1/2 hrs. Just move the start of the 4;15 games to 4.30, what the hell is the problem with that.

I just hate games like Sundays where Buffalo had the ball like three times in the first half. Dam, I wait all week for the games, like to see more possesions

It's only one game per week. I'm always curious why certain people are so concerned about the length of games? I don't care if an NFL game is 4 hours long...again, it's only once a week!!

Regarding replay, i also think something needs to be done about challenges. It's not in the spirit of the game to be able to run a hurry up offense so the other team doesn't have time to challenge.

It's only one game per week. I'm always curious why certain people are so concerned about the length of games?  I don't care if an NFL game is 4 hours long...again, it's only once a week!!

Regarding replay,  i also think something needs to be done about challenges.  It's not in the spirit of the game to be able to run a hurry up offense so the other team doesn't have time to challenge.

515629[/snapback]

Agreed on the first part.

Disagree with the second part. If the other team is challenging, running a hurry up forces them to decide if risking the timeout is worth the chance to overturn the play. And you have to decide quickly. Outfoxing the other team is completely within the spirit of the game.

However, that is drastically different from the last 2 mins of a half, when a coach has to burn a timeout just to let the booth signal for a review. The booth should be immediate on any close play. They shouldn't have to look at it 10 times to determine if it's worth actually "looking at".

Agreed on the first part.

Disagree with the second part.  If the other team is challenging, running a hurry up forces them to decide if risking the timeout is worth the chance to overturn the play.  And you have to decide quickly.  Outfoxing the other team is completely within the spirit of the game.

However, that is drastically different from the last 2 mins of a half, when a coach has to burn a timeout just to let the booth signal for a review.  The booth should be immediate on any close play.  They shouldn't have to look at it 10 times to determine if it's worth actually "looking at".

515631[/snapback]

Thats my point. My gut tells me the ref should be in the production truck, looking and calling for replays instantaneously, and seeing all the differant angles he wants, when he wants them

Saw where the league says two errors were made on the Giants touchdowns. One, I somewhat agree with the Shockey catch not being a catch, but they are including Toomers catch . That one looked good to me even afetr the replay. Anyone know why that one is said to be wrong.

He stepped on the back of the endzone line so he was OOB and couldn't be the first player to touch the ball.

515579[/snapback]

Exactly what Ive been moaning about to anyone who will listen. The NFL is rapidly becoming unwatchable. The lone reason why I watch it anymore (especially since the Bills suck this year) is to compete in fantasy leagues. If it wasnt for that, Id be doing something useful with my life on Sundays. Here is the typical deal that annoys me. Team scores a td, then convert. Commercial break for 3 minutes. We come back to join the action to watch the always exciting kickoff. Then back to another extended commerical break. Back to the action and the players are so out of synch because they forgot what they were there for. Thus, we get get the obligatory, "False Start", or "Delay of game" or whatever. Let alone the fans, it really makes me wonder how it effects the players. How can they maintain momentom or rythem or even keep thier heads in the game with so many delays in the action? It's intollerable. Compared to the NHL these days which is non stop, the NFL is approaching MLB tedium.

Compared to the NHL these days which is non stop, the NFL is approaching MLB tedium.

515956[/snapback]

Well, not quite that bad!

I get funny looks, but that is why I TIVO almost every game and watch later. Once you are used to not hearing the scores, TIVOing the game and then watching later makes it great TV. Now, if you live in Buffalo, I guess it would be harder, but living in Richmond makes it pretty easy to not hear the score.

Oh yea, BTW, NFL said Holmgren was nuts, no apologies for bad call issued. Schokey catch maybe was questionable, but not enough evidence, and the Tommer catch was good, right call was made.