Intelligence Exception

Chilly

From http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5112600857.html

The Pentagon has pushed legislation on Capitol Hill that would create an intelligence exception to the Privacy Act, allowing the FBI and others to share information gathered about U.S. citizens with the Pentagon, CIA and other intelligence agencies, as long as the data is deemed to be related to foreign intelligence. Backers say the measure is needed to strengthen investigations into terrorism or weapons of mass destruction.

As many on here know, I'm fundamentally against parts of the Patriot Act for personal privacy reasons.

However, I fail to see what the big deal is over this sharing of information is. If they are going to gather the information, might as well share it between governmental offices to help fight terrorism.

Course, I'm sure that there will be people on the left arguing against it just to argue against it.

Wasnt the biggest issue pre-9/11 the fact that intelligence was not shared between agencies properly?

Good to see thats been resolved so quickly.  :D

515270[/snapback]

This exception gives permission to share information, it doesn't require the agencies to share. It won't solve the problem of them failing to share information. That could have been done with a real merger of CIA, NSA and FBI (and tightening up all of the other useless intelligence boutique agencies.)