Who's the best among the leaders?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best among the leaders?

• Carson Palmer
    • Peyton Manning
    • Marc Bulger
    • Jake Plummer
    • Drew Bledsoe

Not to interrupt the Brady bashing (because I enjoy it and agree he has been over-rated) but what is Carson's record vs. winning teams this season? And how does everybody think ANY of these qb's would do with lesser talent and a weak defense? Think Palmer looking like God this year (mind you I think he is VERY good) has anything to do with him getting 5 seconds to throw on most passing plays?

514757[/snapback]

Excellent question... :D

Of Palmer, Brady and Manning, only Manning currently benefits from playing with a top 10 defense (Indy is 8th in total D)

Also:

Palmer is 2-3 against teams with winning records (combined is 39-14)

Brady is 2-5 against teams with winning records (combined is 55-20)

Manning is 3-0 against teams with winning records (combined is 22-11)

Palmer is 4-3 against teams with top 10 defenses (looking at total yards against)

Brady is 1-2 against teams with top 10 defenses

Manning is 2-0 against teams with top 10 defenses

Palmer is 4-2 against teams with top 10 rated defenses against the pass

Brady is 2-1 against teams with top 10 rated defenses against the pass

Manning is 2-0 against teams with top 10 rated defenses against the pass

Lastly, against teams with a top 10 total D and a top 10 passing D...

Palmer is 4-2

Brady is 0-1

Manning is 2-0

So, Brady, when unfortunate enough to be playing without Charlie Weis' system and the benefit of a top-rated defense performs sub-par against teams with winning records, is sub-par against teams with top 10 defenses, is mediocre against teams that defend the pass, and lost to the only team with a complete defense he faced (I don't have time to look at run-D, etc.). In fact, when faced with greater adversity than Mr. Mediocre, Carson Palmer beats him across the board.

Face it Pats fans, your record is 6-5 with only 2 wins against decent teams, one of which came in the absense of Michael Vick. Had Vick played you'd be 5-6, having beaten only Pitt. But that's to be expected from a slightly better than mediocre QB running your offense.

The simple fact remains that Peyton Manning is the single best quarterback out there right now and to actually watch him is to know this. While Palmer is having a great season, and clearly has matured, you'd never see him spot the Rams 17 points in a prime time game and end up winning the game by 17.

Watch Peyton at the line tonight. Every play has a purpose, and is executed beautifully more often than not. Hot reads, quick slants, deep balls, play action...he is a great quarterback. Mind you, I used to absolutely HATE watching him stand at the line, barking orders, yelling and bouncing and pointing and such...but now I watch him and it's obvious he just plays this game at a higher level than most any other quarterback in the game today.

Based on stats or winning, Peyton.

I wonder if Farve still isn't the best. They stay in most games only

because of him.

514949[/snapback]

Wonder no longer...he isn't. Not by a long shot.

I would put him on the list before Bulger or Bledsoe.

514956[/snapback]

Clearly Mr AKC put them on the list to have a little fun...and piss off Brady fans. You are correct...Favre is better than Bledsoe and Bulger.

Clearly Mr AKC put them on the list to have a little fun...and piss off Brady fans. 

514963[/snapback]

To be fair- these ARE the top 5 Quarterbacks in the NFL today based upon the rating system adopted by the league in 1973, which makes the order the Official NFL Rank of the League's Quarterbacks- in other words the NFL recognizes these 5 as the best at their position in the league this year ;-)

And BTW- I've always hated the rating system because it is so generous to any quiche eater who leads the league in passes attempted behind the Line Of Scrimmage.

For the long ball guys to get into the top 5 they have to be playing far better than their dink and dunk counterparts, all of whom have elevated ratings as a result of the sytems they play in.

The simple fact remains that Peyton Manning is the single best quarterback out there right now and to actually watch him is to know this. While Palmer is having a great season, and clearly has matured, you'd never see him spot the Rams 17 points in a prime time game and end up winning the game by 17.

Watch Peyton at the line tonight. Every play has a purpose, and is executed beautifully more often than not. Hot reads, quick slants, deep balls, play action...he is a great quarterback. Mind you, I used to absolutely HATE watching him stand at the line, barking orders, yelling and bouncing and pointing and such...but now I watch him and it's obvious he just plays this game at a higher level than most any other quarterback in the game today.

514946[/snapback]

So true, so true. This says it all. I think some of those leader skills and communication ability is being rubbed into Eli.

Did anyone catch him during the SeaSquawks game yesterday? Kinda Peytonesque.

To be fair- these ARE the top 5 Quarterbacks in the NFL today based upon the rating system adopted by the league in 1973, which makes the order the Official NFL Rank of the League's Quarterbacks- in other words the NFL recognizes these 5 as the best at their position in the league this year ;-)

And BTW- I've always hated the rating system because it is so generous to any quiche eater who leads the league in passes attempted behind the Line Of Scrimmage.

For the long ball guys to get into the top 5 they have to be playing far better then their dink and dunk counterparts, all of whom have elevated ratings as a result of the sytems they play in.

514989[/snapback]

That might be fair...but not as fun as accusing you of toying with the nimrods around here. I think I'll stand by my initial assessment, thank you. :D