Is the Strong Safety position done for?

stuckincincy

Seems, with the rules that allow for no jostling of a reciever, the safety position has changed. It's beginning to look, that it's better to have two players of the free safety mold, who can cover receivers outright, and move into coverage areas and (hopefully) pick up line gaps than to have a heavier SS with lesser agility but more run-stop power.

Any thoughts yea or nay?

It might end up being cyclical, quite a bit like the WR position. Go big... Go small... go big.... go small, etc etc etc! How do you like your RB, I prefer Jerome Bettis types myself (Buffalo weather and all) or do you like the Scat back like Marshall Faulk! I think some of it is predicated on what type of defense you build. If you are dominant up front, maybe you opt for the sleak coverage type. If you are a little light up front, maybe the stout, up in the box guy would be your cup 'o tea! The best of all worlds is the freak that can do both equally well, and I'm stuck for that example.... maybe Roy Williams in Dallas? The one guy in Buffalo who I thought could pull off the feat of being good both ways was Antoine Winfield. I thought he'd make a fine safety! Greta tackler and pretty good coverage at that position!

Guest BackInDaDay
Seems, with the rules that allow for no jostling of a reciever, the safety position has changed. It's beginning to look, that it's better to have two players of the free safety mold, who can cover receivers outright, and move into coverage areas and (hopefully) pick up line gaps than to have a heavier SS with lesser agility but more run-stop power.

Any thoughts yea or nay?

514619[/snapback]

I see where you're going, but I don't think the position will evolve into a second FS unless more restrictions are placed coverage techniques. I think the rule changes from a year ago have been tempered in their interpretations by the officals this year. I see less calls, but I don't see flag football yet.

When it gets to that point, the current LB will be replaced by a SS.

Unless of course an asteroid hits the planet. Then they'll all become extinct. ;)

Any thoughts yea or nay?

514619[/snapback]

well i dont know about that, but since Buffalo likes to play with the SS up near the line and the SS is also the main blitzer in our defensive sceme, so i guess for us it doesnt benefit to have 2 FS's, but i guess it depends on the sceme.