Beer, is there anything it can't do?

/dev/null

:blink:

I can just hear it now:

"Man his liver looked like sh*t but at least he had low LDL!"

It's possible, scientists say, that hops might be produced or genetically engineered to have higher levels of xanthohumol, specifically to take advantage of its anti-cancer properties. Some beers already have higher levels of these compounds than others. The lager and pilsner beers commonly sold in domestic U.S. brews have fairly low levels of these compounds, but some porter, stout and ale brews have much higher levels...

...Xanthohumol also appears to have a role as a fairly powerful antioxidant - even more than vitamin E. And it has shown the ability to reduce the oxidation of LDL, or bad cholesterol.

...or brew your own. You can add so much hops that your beer tastes like you are gnawing on a hop leaf.

514545[/snapback]

I have a case of Southern Tier IPA at home.

I like it, but I don't think there is anything more hoppy out there.

514563[/snapback]

I highly doubt that. I am not sure of the specs of their IPA, but I cannot imagine they are the "hoppiest." I know that Dogfish puts out a 90 minute Imperial IPA rated at 90 IBU. Imperial IPA's typically have higher IBUs and gravities than American or English IPA's.

I highly doubt that. I am not sure of the specs of their IPA, but I cannot imagine they are the "hoppiest." I know that Dogfish puts out a 90 minute Imperial IPA rated at 90 IBU. Imperial IPA's typically have higher IBUs and gravities than American or English IPA's.

514614[/snapback]

What are IBUs? southern tier advertises their IPA as triple hopped. whatever that mean?

What are IBUs? southern tier advertises their IPA as triple hopped. whatever that mean?

514636[/snapback]

International Bitterness Units. This spec is mainly controlled by the hop additions to the brew (some other factors can contribute to this, but it is mainly hops). The higher the number, the more bitter the beer (or the more hops that were added during the brew cycle).

Triple hopped can mean different things. It could mean three different hops were used, or that it was hopped during the boil, dry hopped in primary fermentation and dry hopped again in secondary or in the keg/bottle. I am leaning towards the second if they are using it in their marketing.

International Bitterness Units. This spec is mainly controlled by the hop additions to the brew (some other factors can contribute to this, but it is mainly hops). The higher the number, the more bitter the beer (or the more hops that were added during the brew cycle).

Triple hopped can mean different things. It could mean three different hops were used, or that it was hopped during the boil, dry hopped in primary fermentation and dry hopped again in secondary or in the keg/bottle. I am leaning towards the second if they are using it in their marketing.

514644[/snapback]

I just emailed the business manager to see if he knows.

I'll pass it on.

514563[/snapback]

I had some of the Southern Tier IPA when I was back in Buffalo a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. This is a damn fine IPA. However as KRC mentioned Imperial IPA's are gaining popularity. Imperial IPA's are typically >8.0% abv and have more IBU's to balance the greater malt backbone. The interesting thing about the 90 minute IPA from Dogfish Head is that this beer is constantly hopped at every minute throughout the entire 90 minute boil as opposed to discrete hop additions at at three or four different time points during the boil. The result is a much smoother beer that doesn't have that in your face hop bitterness you typically get with a standard IPA. Other Imperial IPA's to check out are Rogue's I2PA, Victory Hop Wallop and Russian River's Pliny The Elder.

I had some of the Southern Tier IPA when I was back in Buffalo a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised.  This is a damn fine IPA.  However as KRC mentioned Imperial IPA's are gaining popularity. Imperial IPA's are typically >8.0% abv and have more IBU's to balance the greater malt backbone.  The interesting thing about the 90 minute IPA from Dogfish Head is that this beer is constantly hopped at every minute throughout the entire 90 minute boil as opposed to discrete hop additions at at three or four different time points during the boil.  The result is a much smoother beer that doesn't have that in your face hop bitterness you typically get with a standard IPA.  Other Imperial IPA's to check out are Rogue's I2PA, Victory Hop Wallop and Russian River's Pliny The Elder.

514762[/snapback]

XB PM'ed me and stated that Southern Tier rates their IPA at 65 IBU, which is pushing the ceiling of an American IPA. The Imperial can go over 100 IBU, so it still has a way to go to be the "hoppiest" beer out there.

Just an FYI for you, my Belgian trippel seems to be getting favorable reviews (except for head retention, which is non-existent). It goes down well and the flavor is pretty well balanced between hops and malt. I racked to secondary this weekend, my second attempt at an American Amber Ale. This was the first recipe I created from scratch. FG was a little high (1.026 when my target was 1.015), but fermentation was complete and I did not want it sitting on the trub for too long. I will let you know how it turns out. The Belgian Wit is up next and I will probably do that around Christmas.

Just an FYI for you, my Belgian trippel seems to be getting favorable reviews (except for head retention, which is non-existent). It goes down well and the flavor is pretty well balanced between hops and malt.

That's great. Doing any type of Belgian as your first homebrew is always a little more daunting than attempting one of the styles where flaws can be easily hidden. One of the best things about homebrewing is the satisfaction of sharing it with others and getting favorable reviews.

my second attempt at an American Amber Ale. This was the first recipe I created from scratch. FG was a little high (1.026 when my target was 1.015), but fermentation was complete and I did not want it sitting on the trub for too long. I will let you know how it turns out.

1.026 is a little high but I'm sure it will be fine, just a little sweeter. I have been having trouble hitting my FG's with my last few brews as well. I'm looking forward to hearing how that turns out. The wit will be a crowd pleaser for sure, you'll probably even be able to get some Bud-Miller-Coors drinkers to enjoy that one.

That's great.  Doing any type of Belgian as your first homebrew is always a little more daunting than attempting one of the styles where flaws can be easily hidden.  One of the best things about homebrewing is the satisfaction of sharing it with others and getting favorable reviews.

1.026 is a little high but I'm sure it will be fine, just a little sweeter.  I have been having trouble hitting my FG's with my last few brews as well.  I'm looking forward to hearing how that turns out.  The wit will be a crowd pleaser for sure, you'll probably even be able to get some Bud-Miller-Coors drinkers to enjoy that one.

514968[/snapback]

Actually, the Trippel is not my first. I did an American Amber in July. The Amber mentioned previously in this thread is my second attempt at it, and my first attempt at creating a recipe from scratch. The trippel, however, was my first big beer (krausen went up into and out of the airlock :D ). I am now using a blowoff tube for all beers, just in case. Less cleanup.

I will let you know how this latest Amber turns out, along with the Wit.

XB PM'ed me and stated that Southern Tier rates their IPA at 65 IBU, which is pushing the ceiling of an American IPA. The Imperial can go over 100 IBU, so it still has a way to go to be the "hoppiest" beer out there.

Just an FYI for you, my Belgian trippel seems to be getting favorable reviews (except for head retention, which is non-existent). It goes down well and the flavor is pretty well balanced between hops and malt. I racked to secondary this weekend, my second attempt at an American Amber Ale. This was the first recipe I created from scratch. FG was a little high (1.026 when my target was 1.015), but fermentation was complete and I did not want it sitting on the trub for too long. I will let you know how it turns out. The Belgian Wit is up next and I will probably do that around Christmas.

514808[/snapback]

I will personally vouch for Ken's beer. Great stuff, and he bottles in big bottles.

Thanks for the compliments.

Gotta love the 22oz bottles.  :D

515372[/snapback]

I should go back to bottles, it's a good way to force me into some semblance of portion control. It's very dangerous having two kegs on tap in my garage refrigerator at all times, especially with the 7.5% abv IPA that I tapped on Sunday.