McGahee

Mikie2times

McGahee is a pretty good back, I just think his popularity at the U and injury built his star power more then production did. Back in 2002 and 2003 Travis put a couple good seasons together. He did fumble an insane amount of times, but in many other areas he was as productive or more productive then Willis. That’s not to say that Travis should be here or we should have never drafted Willis, I'm just comparing these players because of similar offensive lines, and because we seem to view the two players overall talents differently.

We know now that Travis peaked out, and Willis is still getting better. If at some point Willis can regain his explosiveness to match his power I have no doubt he will become an elite player. It's just that right now he doesn't have that aspect in his game, and his yard per carry average reveals that. The line could certainly help Willis out but then again nobody was singing its praise when Travis played either.

The Middle Column represents what McGahee's stats would be if he saw the amount of carries Travis had in 2002-2003. For receiving stats I based the middle column predictions on the average amount of receptions compared to rushes the players had.

Willis McGahee (2004 and 2005)...Projected.............Travis Henry (2002 and 2003)

499 Rushes ............................. .656 Rushes.................656 Rushes

2023 Yards................................ 2657 Yards. ................2794 Yards

4.05 AVG................................... 4.05 AVG ...................4.25 AVG

17 TD. .......................................22TD......................... 23 TD

39 REC.......................................51 REC.......................71 REC

288 Yards....................................377 Yards.................. 467 Yards

0 TD........................................... 0 TD......................... 2 TD

5 FUM..........................................7 FUM.........................18 FUM :(

McGahee is a pretty good back, I just think his popularity at the U and injury built his star power more then production did. Back in 2002 and 2003 Travis put a couple good seasons together. He did fumble an insane amount of times, but in many other areas he was as productive or more productive then Willis. That’s not to say that Travis should be here or we should have never drafted Willis, I'm just comparing these players because of similar offensive lines, and because we seem to view the two players overall talents differently. 

We know now that Travis peaked out, and Willis is still getting better. If at some point Willis can regain his explosiveness to match his power I have no doubt he will become an elite player. It's just that right now he doesn't have that aspect in his game, and his yard per carry average reveals that. The line could certainly help Willis out but then again nobody was singing its praise when Travis played either. 

The Middle Column represents what McGahee's stats would be if he saw the amount of carries Travis had in 2002-2003. For receiving stats I based the middle column predictions on the average amount of receptions compared to rushes the players had.

Willis McGahee (2004 and 2005)...Projected.............Travis Henry (2002 and 2003)

499 Rushes ............................. .656 Rushes.................656 Rushes

2023 Yards................................ 2657 Yards. ................2794 Yards

4.05 AVG................................... 4.05 AVG ...................4.25 AVG

17 TD. .......................................22TD......................... 23 TD

39 REC.......................................51 REC.......................71 REC

288 Yards....................................377 Yards.................. 467 Yards

0 TD........................................... 0 TD......................... 2 TD

5 FUM..........................................7 FUM.........................18 FUM  :(

513687[/snapback]

This is a very interesting post.

Although stats are used to measure RB quality, the amazing thing is that

for both of these guys the stats are pretty respectable for having

weak offensive lines.

How can he do anything when he's not getting many holes to run through? Almost every running play he had to make his own yardage, or he was instantly hit at the line of scrimmage. This has happened the last 3 weeks.

It's our offensive line. Put any good running back behind them today and he won't do much better than WM did.

How can he do anything when he's not getting many holes to run through? Almost every running play he had to make his own yardage, or he was instantly hit at the line of scrimmage. This has happened the last 3 weeks.

It's our offensive line. Put any good running back behind them today and he won't do much better than WM did.

513695[/snapback]

I know a lot of it has to do with the line, that's why I compared him to Travis who played behind a very similar nightmare.

This is a very interesting post.

Although stats are used to measure RB quality, the amazing thing is that

for both of these guys the stats are pretty respectable for having

weak offensive lines.

513694[/snapback]

Not counting the fumbles those two years Travis had were very solid, and same goes for Willis last year, and this year. I just think everybody from announcers to fans seem to place Willis in a category that’s too high for him yet.

When you compare what he is and isn't able to do on the field his statistics aren't the only thing that is similar to Henry. Both are power players, who lack the speed and explosiveness to create. Neither one of the two posed a big threat on 3rd downs, and while McGahee is better then Travis at protecting the ball they both fumble. That nasty stiff arm Willis has gives him the edge over old school Travis, but it's not by much, and certainly not by as much as you would think.

Not counting the fumbles those two years Travis had were very solid, and same goes for Willis last year, and this year. I just think everybody from announcers to fans seem to place Willis in a category that’s too high for him yet.

513725[/snapback]

I think Willis places himself in too high of a category.

I think Lionel Gates could do what Willis has done lately.  Get rid of him and get another high pick in the draft.  We need Linemen.  Decent RB's are all over the place.

513877[/snapback]

I don't know about 'high.' Didn't we learn anything from the Travis Henry debacle? I'd say he's worth a second round pick at most - earlier serious injury, good but not great numbers, 26 y.o. player in a position that likes fresh legs, belief he is the greatest and having Drew R as an agent... I think I've talked my way down to a third.