Now it's Felser's turn

PromoTheRobot

The Williams story is an all-time nightmare for the Bills. Just what was Donahoe thinking when he selected Williams as the fourth pick in the draft four years ago, making him the highest-paid Buffalo player of all time?

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051...?tbd1063722.asp

Well Larry, maybe it's because, at the time, Mike Williams was the consensus best pick at his position! I'm sure if we did a Lexus/Nexus search on you, we'd probabaly find a few articles praising TD for picking him, especially in the year following when Bryan McKinnie was such a disaster in Minnesota.

Look, TD deserves blame for many things, but picking MW is NOT one of them! Especially if as a sports writer, you did not raise any red flags about Williams when he was drafted!

PTR

San Diego's management took the heat for drafting Ryan Leaf #2 overall despite being the consensus pick by "experts"....

A lot of times, draft guides and "experts" rank players based on what NFL teams are doing. What teams and scouts say definitely biases their rankings. When they hear that the Bills like MW a lot and the Bills pick at #4, they put two and two together rank him as the top tackle. Ultimately, their goal is to look good the day after the draft; not 5 years down the line. The more they are agreeable to what actually happens, they better off they are. Rarely do these pundits question ANY of the players taken in the first round. They only question when teams draft players when they don't have a need -- like the Lions drafting 3 WRs.

Your crusade that TD should not be blamed for MW is a valiant one, but not correct in my opinion.

The Williams story is an all-time nightmare for the Bills. Just what was Donahoe thinking when he selected Williams as the fourth pick in the draft four years ago, making him the highest-paid Buffalo player of all time?

Well Larry, maybe it's because, at the time, Mike Williams was the consensus best pick at his position!  I'm sure if we did a Lexus/Nexus search on you, we'd probabaly find a few articles praising TD for picking him, especially in the year following when Bryan McKinnie was such a disaster in Minnesota.

Look, TD deserves blame for many things, but picking MW is NOT one of them!  Especially if as a sports writer, you did not raise any red flags about Williams when he was drafted!

PTR

513311[/snapback]

Reporters are like sharks, and right now, they smell blood... Felser is no different. There's a huge story waiting to be told this off-season when MW is finally released, and everyone is lining themselves up right now so that they can say "I told you so". Kinda like me with this post :blink: , if I was that kind of a guy. :doh:

Ryan Leaf had an attitude...people suspected that might be an issue. Same with randy moss and Lawrence Phillips. Sometimes these players pan out, sometimes they dont. These are risky picks.

Mike Williams did not have many negatives. He was as close to cant miss as it gets in the NFL. Unfortunatly we appear to have the losing ticket in the 99:1 sweepstakes. Any other person acting as Bills GM at the time would have made the same decision. Cant fault TD for this...sorry.

Ryan Leaf had an attitude...people suspected that might be an issue.  Same with randy moss and Lawrence Phillips.  Sometimes these players pan out, sometimes they dont.  These are risky picks.

Mike Williams did not have many negatives.  He was as close to cant miss as it gets in the NFL.  Unfortunatly we appear to have the losing ticket in the 99:1 sweepstakes.  Any other person acting as Bills GM at the time would have made the same decision.  Cant fault TD for this...sorry.

513324[/snapback]

I agree. As much as TD sucks as a GM to me, this is one pick you just can't pin him on. True indeed he pulled the trigger on it, but MW was the highest rated OT in the draft along with McKinnie. As JimBob said, any other GM would've made the exact same pick. How was TD to know MW would turn out to be a big, soft, steaming pile of horsesh!t?

But TD still sucks a$$.

Well Larry, maybe it's because, at the time, Mike Williams was the consensus best pick at his position!  I'm sure if we did a Lexus/Nexus search on you, we'd probabaly find a few articles praising TD for picking him, especially in the year following when Bryan McKinnie was such a disaster in Minnesota.

Look, TD deserves blame for many things, but picking MW is NOT one of them!  Especially if as a sports writer, you did not raise any red flags about Williams when he was drafted!

PTR

513311[/snapback]

Agreed. I was satisfied when we drafted him although I was a bit concerned he would not work out as a Left OT. I liked him.

However, the guy I really wanted was Roy Williams! All the other guys that turned out better really were not top 5 considerations. RW was I really wanted that guy beccuase you knew he was going to be at worst darn good, and at best a pro bowler alomost every year. Wish we had him...

Well Larry, maybe it's because, at the time, Mike Williams was the consensus best pick at his position! I'm sure if we did a Lexus/Nexus search on you, we'd probabaly find a few articles praising TD for picking him, especially in the year following when Bryan McKinnie was such a disaster in Minnesota.

Look, TD deserves blame for many things, but picking MW is NOT one of them! Especially if as a sports writer, you did not raise any red flags about Williams when he was drafted!

PTR

513311[/snapback]

Your points are valid, but the big issue I have is Donahoe's inconsistent talk. With the Willis pick, it was "I stuck to the draft board and took the best available," which is not what happened when they selected Mike Williams. When any team ends up at the top of the draft board, it is extremely important to get a player that is going to make a material contribution, and not fill a position requirement because you are going to over pay if that is the case. Probably the highest rated player when Buffalo selected was Roy Williams and that should have been the selection because at the point the entire roster was full of holes.

TD definitely deserves the blame for drafting MW. We had lots of needs besides OL after the 2001 season, so saying TD had no choice but to draft an OL with the #4 is wrong.

But even so, if TD insisted that we choose an offensive lineman, he should have at least gone with the guy who plays tackle on the left side - Bryant McKinnie. McKinnie was my OL preference at the time of the 2002 draft, and while he certainly hasn't lived up to all the hype he was given in college, at least he's still starting at LT. Where is MW? Riding the bench because his vagina hurts.

:

513311[/snapback]

So, are the TD defenders saying that a GM who always goes with the consensus shouldn't be blamed when it doesn't work out?

That's why TD has the job and not you or I. He is expected to outperform the by-the-book consensus. If it were just a matter of following the experts we could do his job for far less in salary and a subscription to Street & Smith.

So,  are the TD defenders saying that a GM who always goes with the consensus shouldn't be blamed when it doesn't work out?

That's why TD has the job and not you or I.  He is expected to outperform the by-the-book consensus.  If it were just a matter of following the experts we could do his job for far less in salary and a subscription to Street & Smith.

513428[/snapback]

I'm only defending TD on the hypocricy of sports writers who blame him for picking MW, when those same writers praised him for it back in 2002. That's all. I feel the rules apply to writers the same as everyone. If someone said MW was a bad pick in 2002, then they have the right to say "I told you so."

But if you thought it was a good pick in 2002 (Sully) then you have no right to B word about it in 2005.

PTR

You need to take back this statement then:

"Look, TD deserves blame for many things, but picking MW is NOT one of them!"

MW sucks. Of course TD is to blame for picking him. I remember that draft well, and I recall lots of people saying he was going to be a bust. Too fat. Not a left tackle. Texas doesn't develop players as well as you might expect. Etc.

Bottom line, it was plain to see for many fans so no excuse for a GM to miss it. TD overanalyzed.

MW sucks.  Of course TD is to blame for picking him.  I remember that draft well, and I recall lots of people saying he was going to be a bust.  Too fat.  Not a left tackle.  Texas doesn't develop players as well as you might expect.  Etc.

Bottom line, it was plain to see for many fans so no excuse for a GM to miss it.  TD overanalyzed.

513440[/snapback]

Well there are people who said Peyton Manning would be a bust too. It's called being a "broken clock"

PTR

And of course, Big Mike couldn't even play for a full quarter of this game before getting carted off.

:(

MW sucks.  Of course TD is to blame for picking him.  I remember that draft well, and I recall lots of people saying he was going to be a bust.  Too fat.  Not a left tackle.  Texas doesn't develop players as well as you might expect.  Etc.

Bottom line, it was plain to see for many fans so no excuse for a GM to miss it.  TD overanalyzed.

513440[/snapback]