Just came back from Bills Practice

Dawgg

We have the BEST practice players in the NFL!

513036[/snapback]

Is practice is overated.....

"If I can't practice, I can't practice. If I'm hurt, I'm hurt. It's not about that. It's easy to sum it up when you talk about practice. I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're in here talking about practice. Not a game, we're talking about practice. How silly is that? I know I'm supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example. I know that. I know it's important, but we're talking about practice. ... How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing? They are supposed to be used to playing with me anyway. So my game is going to deteriorate if I don't practice with those guys?"

-Allen "the answer" Iverson

I always figured that a great defensive team like baltimore for example would be at least half decent on offence since they practice against a great defence... this doesnt seem to be the case... anyone have any idea why?

513057[/snapback]

Could it be because this year our defence and our offence both suck.

Could it be because this year our defence and our offence both suck.

513059[/snapback]

yes but what about the last 2 seasons where our defence was #2 overall? and what about Baltimore who has had a dominant defence but sh------- offence. don't they learn something from practicing against a dominant unit?

I always figured that a great defensive team like baltimore for example would be at least half decent on offence since they practice against a great defence... this doesnt seem to be the case... anyone have any idea why?

513057[/snapback]

Perhaps because kyle Boller blows?

513057[/snapback]

That's one interesting question.

Another is why Baltimore has inexplicably never been able to build a competent passing game despite a merry-go-round of proven veteran qb's, promising FA qb's, and drafted qb's; drafted wr's; and annual upgrading of the coaching.

Maybe the defense is so good in practice that the offense never gets the confidence it needs...

Nah... you can only reach jock-sniffer status when you moderate a site that is centered around and dedicated to the Buffalo Bills.

Some day....

:blink:

So, when you are there in person you're a jock-sniffer?

513150[/snapback]

513057[/snapback]

I see what you are saying and logically it would seem that the offense would benefit from practicing against a good defense.

The only analogy that I can give you would be a skiing analogy.

Ski behind a great skier and you will pick up all their good habits, lessening your bad habits. Now if you are a good skier and continually jump off a cliff smacking into the same big rock all the time... I take your confidence will become shattered and might look for radical answers that would greatly affect your basic skiing?

Now... If you had a great skier to follow behind as they jump into that couloir... Things might be a little different, actually finding your way through it!

To put that into real football terms. That rock is your great defense you practice against... You have no great offense to "lead" you into the gorge. So... Things are gonna be pretty bad until you can figure it out.

So, what I am saying is the good defense hurts you... It would be better to have a great offense to emulate in practice.

Get it? Not sure, I really do. :blink::doh:

513057[/snapback]

Teams don't practice full contact at game speeds during the regular season. Offenses only face real game speeds in game situations, so even if you face a talented defense while scrimmaging that defense is really only going at 75%. Plus when you break it down the Bills run game, and run defense don't go full contact, so that in itself really lowers the ability to simulate the rushing attack. In the passing game the QB can't get hit so the line doesn't face the difficult blitz and stunts we see in games, and if they do, real pressure can't be simulated.

The one area it can sometimes help is in line play. Individual players can work on techniques with the offensive lineman. If you got a lighting fast speed rusher it can really benefit your LT to see that speed in practice everyday. Then again that also depends on your players contributing to the team in these areas; TO aside most players have no problem doing this.