Any JFK experts here?

aussiew

Can't seem to find references on google.

I was in a discussion with a guy a few days ago about JFK vs. Vietnam. He said that in 1962-63 JFK believed that we couldn't do any good in Vietnam and we should start a pull out. Supposedly, he was going to promote this in his 1964 re-election campaign. My friend said that these confidential white house "discussions" were revealed in a documentary that was eventually shown on TV. This story is in direct contradiction to anything I learned about JFK - in fact I was taught that he actually escalated the troop numbers. But since I didn't live in the USA in the 60s, my knowledge of those early Vietnam and JFK situations depended on the Aussie press.

Can anyone verify or deny this story? With a source?

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

I was in a discussion with a guy a few days ago about JFK vs. Vietnam. He said that in 1962-63 JFK believed that we couldn't do any good in Vietnam and we should start a pull out.  Supposedly, he was going to promote this in his 1964 re-election campaign.  My friend said that these confidential white house "discussions" were revealed in a documentary that was eventually shown on TV. This story is in direct contradiction to anything I learned about JFK - in fact I was taught that he actually escalated the troop numbers. But since I didn't live in the USA in the 60s, my knowledge of those early Vietnam and JFK situations depended on the Aussie press.

512748[/snapback]

Most of this discussion is based on the 1963 National Security Action Memo, NSAM #263. While it suggests pulling out 1,000 advisors, it's not clear that JFK was going to pull out completely; in fact, probably not.

It also discusses some similar issues that are being discussed about an Iraq pull-out strategy today--ensuring a strong enough presence so that it doesn't fall to the communist (insrugents). I'm sure you could find it if you google JFK + NSAM #263. This was also used as the central reason for JFK's assisnation in the O.Stone movie.

I've skimmed over a lot of the stuff that came up on google. But still can't find reference to JFK "secret" meetings discussing him using a proposed "pull out" as part of his re-election campaign.

I'm still wondering where this person really heard this. He says that he saw it on a documentary many years ago. That there were meeting tapes released.

I just have to win this argument because I think my friend is full of it. there's an expensive dinner hinging on this.

Bump.

Come on guys don't let me down now. It'll cost me a steak dinner at Ruths Chris. :(

Someone out there must know if Kennedy White House tapes discussing his re-election plans were released and featured in a documentary.

http://www.lossless-audio.com/usa/index0.p...=1680970232.htm

Just so it isn't taken out of context. Yeah he called for the pullout of troops on tape after the election. However, his intention was to kill Diem, and continue training with the "advisors" fullscale until then sending thousands of troops in ensure the South was capable of winning. He also hated the military and didn't trust them so he hoped to move Macnamera to State and give him defacto control over the military from there. However, all his "schemes" were wasted when he was killed. So while on the surface it appeared it waanted a pullout he sure was doing a lot of underhanded things to cause havoc and to neuter the US military.

Bump.

Come on guys don't let me down now. It'll cost me a steak dinner at Ruths Chris.  :(

Someone out there must know if Kennedy White House tapes discussing his re-election plans were released and featured in a documentary.

513763[/snapback]

Sorry.

I just watched the Kennedy special on the History Channel early this morning when I got home from work and they didn't mention anything about that when they were talking about JFK.

It was a good piece though... Went through the whole curse thingy.

I was in a discussion with a guy a few days ago about JFK vs. Vietnam. He said that in 1962-63 JFK believed that we couldn't do any good in Vietnam and we should start a pull out.  Supposedly, he was going to promote this in his 1964 re-election campaign.  My friend said that these confidential white house "discussions" were revealed in a documentary that was eventually shown on TV. This story is in direct contradiction to anything I learned about JFK - in fact I was taught that he actually escalated the troop numbers. But since I didn't live in the USA in the 60s, my knowledge of those early Vietnam and JFK situations depended on the Aussie press.

512748[/snapback]

At that time, the agression of Communist Russia, China, and their satellites was strong. It wasn't US government propaganda. It was fact. The threats factual.

It's inconceivable that JFK would not have responded to that - all of the West did, with good reason. The Communist leaders did not dance - they positively told the West of their goal of destruction of us...a similar circumstance exists today; different players.

I reject any political aspect on JFK's part. Had he not defeated Nixon in 1960 (dubious though JFK's victory was), Nixon would have done just as JFK did.

The tragedy was the hubris of Lyndon Johnson and Robert McNamara. There will never be two government officials in American history with as much American (and Australian) blood on their hands than those two, with their political interference denying the proper prosecution of a war.

God Bless those who died and are maimed...