Some toughts after watching the Lions

Toledo Bill

1. How bad of a job has Ol'Whitey done? His performance barely exceeeds Matt Millens.

2. I was one of our fans foolishly disappointed that the Lions picked Joey Harrington before we had an opportunity. At least Millen made that mistake before we could have.

1. How bad of a job has Ol'Whitey done? His performance barely exceeeds Matt Millens.

2. I was one of our fans foolishly disappointed that the Lions picked Joey Harrington before we had an opportunity. At least Millen made that mistake before we could have.

512292[/snapback]

Matt millen has done a very poor job - even worse than TD. No RB, two first round WRs, bad QBs, no defense, blah. If detroit was in a better division, they would have the worst record in the NFL.

Matt millen has done a very poor job - even worse than TD. No RB, two first round WRs, bad QBs, no defense, blah. If detroit was in a better division, they would have the worst record in the NFL.

512294[/snapback]

And I believe the Lions just gave him a contract extension sometime in the past year...

512294[/snapback]

Harrington isn't great, but a lot like a certain team we root for, he isn't getting time and he wasn't making bad decisions yesterday. He got bad bad breaks with that interception (that one was on his receiver) and Bryson's fumble. The QB is not their #1 problem.

I'm not sure what Garcia brought to the table, besides brittleness, that Harrington didn't. It's clear that Mariucci just doesn't like him. I'd love to see Harrington picked up and successful elsewhere (hopefully not somewhere like Miami) -- it could happen, a la Plummer. I could see KC grabbing him and doing really well if Trent Green decided to hang 'em up.

512294[/snapback]

Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, and Roy Williams.

That's three first-round WRs, to go along with a dearth of everything else.

Millen has the losingest record in the NFL in the 21st Century. Bills, by the way, are 5th losingest.

Millen has the losingest record in the NFL in the 21st Century. Bills, by the way, are 5th losingest.

512333[/snapback]

Millen's an idiot, I can't believe the guy still has his boss' confidence.

I've always kind of liked the Lions. It seems there are a lot of Buffalo connections from RW, working class town that hasn't figured it out in the post-industrial era, franchise with a lot of struggles. It's a shame they could never put it together, especially when they had such an amazing back in Barry Sanders. He's still a treat to go back and watch.

512294[/snapback]

Kevin Jones.... I think we all forget about the role of the coaches and coordinators. The players can only be AS GOOD as the coaches allow for them to be.

Kevin Jones....  I think we all forget about the role of the coaches and coordinators.  The players can only be AS GOOD as the coaches allow for them to be.

512366[/snapback]

I have never seen a player as thoroughly underutilized as Kevin Jones.

Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parish

That's three wide receivers in the first two rounds.

How many offensive linemen in the first 2 rounds? ZERO.

Comparing TD and Millen is like splitting hairs.

Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, and Roy Williams.

That's three first-round WRs, to go along with a dearth of everything else.

512331[/snapback]

I have never seen a player as thoroughly underutilized as Kevin Jones.

512418[/snapback]

if they had a line they would be an offensive machine. Like it was posted earlier- three 1st round picks on wideout, a potential stud in K Jones and Harrington has been handeled very poorly. Starting, then being benched then starting then getting pulled. Fans of the Lions might disagree but from an outsiders view i feel he should be in there and like most young qbs or any qb for that matter he needs blocking upfront.

Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parish

That's three wide receivers in the first two rounds.

How many offensive linemen in the first 2 rounds?  ZERO.

Comparing TD and Millen is like splitting hairs.

512425[/snapback]

I'm not going to defend 3 WRs in the 1st round 3 straight years :lol: ,

but Millen hasn't exactly ignored the OL. He signed Woody and DeMulling, 2 players who many people on this board wanted to come here. And he drafted bookend OT's in the 1st round in 2000 & 2001 in McDougale & Backus and a #2 in 2000 on C Dominic Raiola. Some of those moves look bad in hindsight cause the players didn't pan out, but on-paper he addressed the OL far more than TD has.

I'd take Mike McMahon over Jeff Garcia as a backup. Millen was too dumb to keep McMahon, and Donahoe was too "clever" to draft him in the 2001 fifth round instead of Marques Sullivan -- who isn't even in the league anymore.

IMO the difference between Millen and Donohoe is one is too dumb to know he is in over his head and the other thinks he's smarter than everyone else and isn't.

At least Millen made that mistake before we could have.

512292[/snapback]

instead of wasting the #4 pick in 2002 on a bust QB we wasted th #4 pick in 2002 on a bust OT, and the following day we wasted the #14 pick in 2003 on a journeyman QB

then in 2004 we wanted the #22 pick so bad that we wasted the #43 pick and the #20 pick in 2005 to draft our own bust QB