It's the 2004 draft, the Bills are on the clock

Mikie2times

We all know how it played out, Pittsburgh selected Roethlisberger two spots before Buffalo and we still found a pretty good player in Lee Evans. We then traded back into the first to get JP.

The question I'm posing is do you think JP was always the guy they targeted, or would TD draft Big Ben if he’s around at #13? Also knowing what we know at this point, would you rather have Lee Evans, and JP Losman, or Rothlisberger?

We all know how it played out, Pittsburgh selected Roethlisberger two spots before Buffalo and we still found a pretty good player in Lee Evans. We then traded back into the first to get JP. 

The question I'm posing is do you think JP was always the guy they targeted, or would TD draft Big Ben if he’s around at #13? Also knowing what we know at this point, would you rather have Lee Evans, and JP Losman, or Rothlisberger?

512260[/snapback]

I seem to remember something about a Prayer circle in the OBD War Room when Big Ben was sliding just a bit...Unfortunately... like most of Our Prayers as Bills Fans, that one went unanswered as well...

But to answer your question, without a doubt I think the Bills would have taken Big Ben...I think the Organization was pretty high on the Kid... :blink:

And to answer your 2nd Question...I guess it's a little unfair to JP who is almost a Season of Starts behind Big Ben...But I'll take BR over Evans/Losman at this point...Hopefully this time next Year it will be the other way around...

Didn't we try to trade up in front of Pittsburgh to get Ben? But when we were unable to do this, we went to plan B and got JP.

512288[/snapback]

I remember Donahoe saying he tried to trade up past Pittsburgh with either Atlanta or Houston (I think both took corners), but you can't make a trade unless you have a partner.

Also, I think you have to ask, would you rather have Big Ben plus a second and fifth in '04 and a first in '05, unless you want to consider what it should've cost to trade up two spots to get Big Ben.

512260[/snapback]

I think he takes Big Ben, based on ciomments at the time. I'd still rather have Evans & JP at this time, though I could be proven wrong in the end... just don't care much for Big Ben, don't like those big Herman Munster QBs..

I'll give you another what-if:

It's the 2002 draft, the Bills are on the clock with the #2 pick thanks to that Carolina loss in 2001, and Peppers is available.

The Bills select...Joey Harrington!!! :blink:

I remember Donahoe saying he tried to trade up past Pittsburgh with either Atlanta or Houston (I think both took corners), but you can't make a trade unless you have a partner.

512295[/snapback]

I recall that, too - that ATL was immovable on DeAngelo Hall at #8 and HOU on Dunta Robinson at #10 - but I think somebody on ESPN speculated that on draft day...dunno.

512260[/snapback]

Thats a tough call for me. Although Big Ben has had an unbelievable staring record in Pitt its highly unlikely he would have that same record here basd on the way we handled JP this year and dont forget Drew was our starter last season.

Evans has showed flashed that he can be the "go to" guy if Moulds moves on to another team next yr and JP well he too has shown flashed but until our line is solid he will remain a question mark.

The real question is that to truly evaluate this scenario, try swapping Losman into the offense he would have inherited in Pittsburgh and speculate how well HE would have advanced because "Big Ben" had everything in place.....Offensive line, great running game and pretty awesome recievers! In Buffalo, J.P. plays behind swiss cheese by comparison! I think he'd also would have taken the ball and run with it and we would ALL be saying, "wow, wish we'd would have had a shot at Losman!"

By the way, my aforementioned post is really one of those age old shticks about Archie Manning playing QB for the 1970's Steelers! Would they have won 6 Super Bowls instead? If O.J. had played with the 70's Raiders or other assorted comparisons like that!

I recall that, too - that ATL was immovable on DeAngelo Hall at #8 and HOU on Dunta Robinson at #10 - but I think somebody on ESPN speculated that on draft day...dunno.

512388[/snapback]

i think it was jax....they were bent on picking Reggie Williams the 2nd coming

of Jerry Rice...who they thought will not last until pick 13....more to spite

TD I think

The real question is that to truly evaluate this scenario, try swapping Losman into the offense he would have inherited in Pittsburgh and speculate how well HE would have advanced because "Big Ben" had everything in place.....Offensive line, great running game and pretty awesome recievers! In Buffalo, J.P. plays behind swiss cheese by comparison! I think he'd also would have taken the ball and run with it and we would ALL be saying, "wow, wish we'd would have had a shot at Losman!"

512489[/snapback]

Add in coaches who were bent on protecting him and his confidence by

running the ball 65% of the time....and a defence that keepsits promise

to help the QB.

512260[/snapback]

Doesn't matter. You could pick up Joe Montana instead of Lee Evans.....either way, the O-Line sucks!!! Oh....did I mentioned Josh Reed is still on the Bills?

When you think about the scenario you really start to appreciate just how much of a crap shoot the draft can be. We judge TD on his selections, but who knows how many other stars the Bills nailed down on the value board only to not be in a position to select them.

I bet we take Ben at that spot, and from what we know at this moment I would take Ben over Lee, and JP. While it's true that the Steelers have a great running game if you've watched the Batch, and Maddox experience the last few weeks it's clear Ben is not just some play action scrub. He brings a different dimension to Pittsburgh and when he's on they can beat anybody in the NFL.

That said we might have even more luck then Pittsburgh if JP Losman develops. He is more physically gifted then Ben, and in term of raw ability (running, passing strength, Mechanics) he looks like a top 5 guy. In addition Lee Evans will at the very least be an incredible #2, and possible #1 during his career, and has some of the best hands in the NFL.