TD countdown?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

As an ex-Buffalonian here in Youngstown, Ohio, I'm looking for some good old irresponsible speculation on whether or not TD will be gone at the end of the year,

and under what conditions this could happen.

Since moving away in 1989 I get a lot less day-to-day coverage about our team,

so I'm wondering if the rumblings have started. Being an hour away from

Pittsburgh, there are a lot of Steelers fans here who said Ralph made a mistake when TD was hired and that he would end up regretting it. All throughout the

Donahoe era in Pittsburgh there was constant talk of friction between Cowher

and TD. Of course, we know what eventually happened. I think a lot of the Steelers' past mistakes in drafting were conveniently lumped on TD after he left, but a lot of fans here hated him. Following his drafts in Buffalo, he seems to be repeating some of his earlier mistakes, but then again he's made some good choices.

So if the Bills tank the rest of the year, is he gone? If they put a winning streak together, does he still go?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 

As an ex-Buffalonian here in Youngstown, Ohio, I'm looking for some good old irresponsible speculation on whether or not TD will be gone at the end of the year,

and under what conditions this could happen.

Since moving away in 1989 I get a lot less day-to-day coverage about our team,

so I'm wondering if the rumblings have started.  Being an hour away from

Pittsburgh, there are a lot of Steelers fans here who said Ralph made a mistake when TD was hired and that he would end up regretting it.  All throughout the

and TD.  Of course, we know what eventually happened.  I think a lot of the Steelers' past mistakes in drafting were conveniently lumped on TD after he left, but a lot of fans here hated him.  Following his drafts in Buffalo, he seems to be repeating some of his earlier mistakes, but then again he's made some good choices.

So if the Bills tank the rest of the year, is he gone?  If they put a winning streak together, does he still go?

511849[/snapback]

Happy thanksvgiving to you too....

As much as I would like to see TD get the axe, I think many fellow posters have hit the nail on the head. While IMHO, TD sucks as a GM, the real problem lies with Ralph Wilson, who I believe is happy with the job Ol Whitey is doing filling the seats. I dont' think Ralphie really cares about winning as much as he does selling out every game.

So, with that said, I believe that if the Bills don't win another game this year, TD will still be back next year, promising us this and that, signing some journeyman, cast-off FA's who will be mediocre at best...and doing what only TD can do...

dish the kool-aid out with the best of em!!!

and TD.

511849[/snapback]

I think the difference lies here, Ralph is making money with a bad team, why would he change for another GM or why would there be any friction? Because is clear Wilson doesn't mind losing if he keeps making money.

If there were any friction between TD and MM, I'd bet Ralph would side ways with the guy putting money in his pocket.

With every Dallas win--as well as with every Buffalo loss--the ice thins beneath Donohoe.  Never thought I'd say this, but let's see some Cowboys wins.

511886[/snapback]

Increasing the chances of TD getting the axe = Cowboys winning games

Increasing the chances of fewer posts by Offsides Number 76 = ??

Help me out here......

What if ralph cares about winning? He can care about winning, making money, and saving face with TD by having TD do one thing... He can hire a GM to replace him, stay on as team president, continue to do the great marketing job that he's done, and let a real GM (i.e. ron wolf) evaluate talent.

There's no way that ralph doesn't care about winning. The guy is pushing 90, on the hall of fame ballot, and in his lucid moments, cares about his legacy as well as his estate. He can do the right thing for himself, the HOF voters and for his daughters.

I think the difference lies here, Ralph is making money with a bad team, why would he change for another GM or why would there be any friction? Because is clear Wilson doesn't mind losing if he keeps making money.

If there were any friction between TD and MM, I'd bet Ralph would side ways with the guy putting money in his pocket.

511870[/snapback]

Ralph has more money than he can spend. He doesn't have a superbowl win. So what do you think his priorities are???

This is basically another Ralph is cheap post and it has been proven he is not. In the 90's when you could sign players with bonus money and there was no cap, Ralph ponyed up. Today, they spend to the cap limit, so I don't know how you could say he is cheap.

I dont' think Ralphie really cares about winning as much as he does selling out every game. 

511864[/snapback]

If that's true, why does Ralph attend every game, show up all the time at training camp and visit the locker room after almost every game, win or lose? Believe me, it would be easier to stay in Detroit (or somewhere warmer) and rake in the dough without ever giving a fig about the huddled masses.

Ralph cares...he's an old school owner who'd rather win a game that get his picture taken cavorting on the sideline or at league meetings a'la some of the new wave owners like Snyder and Benson.

Ralph was curiously silent last week....and the less he talks, the thinner I think the ice becomes for TD. Remember, RW's marketing motto is "winning puts fannys in the seats." It'll be interesting to see if he stays quiet over the next few weeks.

Ralph has more money than he can spend.  He doesn't have a superbowl win.  So what do you think his priorities are???

This is basically another Ralph is cheap post and it has been proven he is not.  In the 90's when you could sign players with bonus money and there was no cap, Ralph ponyed up.  Today, they spend to the cap limit, so I don't know how you could say he is cheap.

511989[/snapback]

I think this is in fact a question of Ralph's priorities. I think winning onr before he checks out is one of them, but I really doubt it is the only one (and it is only a guess and probably varies in his mind from week to week) that it is his first priority.

Its too hard to win the SB in the NFL and it involves too much luck for anyone to be so foolish as to make accomplishment of this task the key factor which determines success or not.

I think that winning one is important to Ralph but have seen nothing objective that would indicate it is the most or only important thing to him.

If you have I would love to see the links to him expressing this or any objective evidence that this is true.

I think what's likely important to Ralphy (IMHO) in no particular order (as my guess is the order varies at any given moment are:

1. Winning

2. Having the respect of his family

3. Having the respect of his peers (other owners, media, local leaders)

4. Running a good business

5. Having the respect of his employees

6. Having the respect of the community.

This really is in no particular order as I think winning to him means making the playoffs, preferably going deep in the the playoffs, preferably getting to the SB and preferanly winning it. Winning it all would be great but simply making the playoffs would be good. However, TD got an extension without even making the playoffs so though this is important it is not essential to have him reward you or be pleased with you.

Who knows how the Bills impact on his family life and this is probably the biggest factor in terms of preparations he has made for the fate of the team when he dies.

As far as his peers go, my guess is his election to the HOF is the big factor and test here and the record of the Bills now has little impact on this issue.

TD has done excellent in running the business for Ralph and though this is not likely sufficient in and of itself to make him happy, it is essentail that it happen. I don't see RWS being satisfied by his team winning if it sucks as a business.

I think the respect of employees is great for RWS and he has taken advantage of special opportunities like inviting Flutie to his parties (he does not invite players to his home generally I understand). However, though he wants TD and the crew to respect their Daddy, he gas learned from Butler and Wade sometimes you have to fire family, so i think this only goes so far.

I think he likes the respect of the community but this is built by him in giving away tickets to the Boys and Girls Clubs and charities and satisfying our psychpotic love for the Bills seems like good business practice to him and a nice side effect if it happens but not a leader for him in decision-making.

I think W/Ls are my almost single priority as a fan but my sense is his priorities are very different and far more complex than mine.

Ah, just relax.  Try to breathe through your nose.

512251[/snapback]

Why, so I can smell the stench of another putz routing for the damn Cowboys?? No thanks....

If that's true, why does Ralph attend every game, show up all the time at training camp and visit the locker room after almost every game, win or lose?  Believe me, it would be easier to stay in Detroit (or somewhere warmer) and rake in the dough without ever giving a fig about the huddled masses. 

Ralph cares...he's an old school owner who'd rather win a game that get his picture taken cavorting on the sideline or at league meetings a'la some of the new wave owners like Snyder and Benson. 

Ralph was curiously silent last week....and the less he talks, the thinner I think the ice becomes for TD.  Remember, RW's marketing motto is "winning puts fannys in the seats."  It'll be interesting to see if he stays quiet over the next few weeks.

512019[/snapback]

Well said.

If that's true, why does Ralph attend every game, show up all the time at training camp and visit the locker room after almost every game, win or lose?  Believe me, it would be easier to stay in Detroit (or somewhere warmer) and rake in the dough without ever giving a fig about the huddled masses. 

Ralph was curiously silent last week....and the less he talks, the thinner I think the ice becomes for TD.   Remember, RW's marketing motto is "winning puts fannys in the seats."  It'll be interesting to see if he stays quiet over the next few weeks.

512019[/snapback]

There's been a lot of RW-bashing going on, much of it fair. The one place where it's been totally off-base is the idea that he's in it for the money and doesn't care enough about winning. This is an excellent rebuttal. It his stage of life, I doubt that he gives a rats-#$@ about how much he's making on the team. He knows he won't be here in five years, and a championship is probably the only thing that still meaningfull to him.

Good point about his lack of comments...

With every Dallas win--as well as with every Buffalo loss--the ice thins beneath Donohoe.  Never thought I'd say this, but let's see some Cowboys wins.

511886[/snapback]

If the Brain Dead One was the reason why the Cowboys were winning, that might be true. If keeping the Brain Dead One in Buffalo would've made a positive difference this year, that might be true. Unfortunately, neither are the case. :lol:

As for TD, there are 6 games left. Right now, IMO he is safe. But if the Bills truly tank the rest of the season in a very ugly, 2003-like manner, he could be in trouble. I still say he walks away from a mess before he is fired, cause he doesn't need the job.

I am not a TD supporter and wish we would give him his walking papers. It is interesting, however, that in reading the Detroit newspapers today that they are clamoring for Mariucci's head with hardly a mention about Millen. I think that Millen is the worst GM in football... but I am amazed that most of the negativity towards Bill's management regards TD while the Lion's fans and press are after the coach.

I know that Mariucci has had at least one more year than Mularkey and the Lions look like a poorly organized football team. But, we occassionaly see Mularkey's team quit on him and some questionable moves.

I have to wonder if the clamoring for TD'd head is simply due to his being a much more visible and arrogant figure than Millen.

By the way, the earlier quote on another post calling Millen the NFL's Fred Flintstone was wonderful!

I am not a TD supporter and wish we would give him his walking papers. It is interesting, however, that in reading the Detroit newspapers today that they are clamoring for Mariucci's head with hardly a mention about Millen. I think that Millen is the worst GM in football...  but I am amazed that most of the negativity towards Bill's management regards TD while the Lion's fans and press are after the coach.

:

512672[/snapback]

TD may be bad, but I agree - Millen strikes me as hands-down the worst.

Might be a forest-for-the-trees thing, rather like our clamoring for Bledsoe's head while being cntent to cross our fingers on the offensive line last year.

TD may be bad,  but I agree - Millen strikes me as hands-down the worst.

Might be a forest-for-the-trees thing,  rather like our clamoring for Bledsoe's head while being cntent to cross our fingers on the offensive line last year.

512774[/snapback]

Lucky for TD, Millen makes him look nearly competent.