Jim Jarmusch Films....

ajzepp

I kept reading about this guy and how he's got a cult-like following among moviegoers and actors alike. Heard how his films were kinda quirky and 'off the beaten path', so I gave 'em a go....Well, I've really become a big fan of his work over the past six months. Just thought I'd check to see if anyone else has taken a liking to his stuf.....

Here are my favorite Jarmusch films thus far:

1) Down by Law - this has become one of my favorite films of all time, actually.

2) Dead Man

3) Fishing with John - An absolute RIOT if you like this kind of humor.

4) Mystery Train

5) Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

6) Stranger than Paradise (this is the only one that really let me down)

I still want to see Broken Flowers, Coffee and Cigarettes, and one or two others I can't think of right now.

I've really come to see his directing style as brilliant....the pace of his films is much slower and more deliberate, and often times there is a scene where the character really isn't doing anything other than "being". You'd think that would make for a boring film, but honestly it doesn't. What it does is actually something you wouldn't think it would....it allows you (well, me) to actually feel more involved with the characters. It's almost like he would rather you get to see and know the subtleties of the character as opposed to some grand thing he or she does, if that makes any sense. I definitely don't think he's for everyone....but he does have a following, and I would be willing to bet that some of you guys like his work.

I've Netflix-ed a couple of those titles, but haven't gotten around to watching them. He's been on my list of future research for a while now... I'll try to watch Down by Law this week. :)

509559[/snapback]

I have an inkling that you're going to dig some of it.....you'll definitely have to let me/us know what you think! Down by Law is the best one to start with, IMO. Either that or Dead Man, if you're a Johnny Depp fan.

The movie "Coffee and Cigarettes" was filmed over the course of 3 decades and features 10 skits featuring musicians like The White Stripes, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits, and members of Wu-Tang Clan doing a skit with Bill Murray. Some of the skits are funny, others are just plain stupid. The movie Dead Man with Johnny Depp is pretty good however.

The movie "Coffee and Cigarettes" was filmed over the course of 3 decades and features 10 skits featuring musicians like The White Stripes, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits, and members of Wu-Tang Clan doing a skit with Bill Murray.  Some of the skits are funny, others are just plain stupid.  The movie Dead Man with Johnny Depp is pretty good however.

510239[/snapback]

Yep, I've read mixed reviews on the 'Coffee and Cigarettes' one.....The one common denominator I've found with most of Jarmusch's stuff is that you just never know what's going to happen next. I love that aspect of it.....very non-formulaic. I guess I just find the guy interesting as hell, you know?

I'm a JJ fan. I was dissapointed with Mystery Train...but, maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I'd give it another shot. Down by Law is terrific and I liked Strangers in Paradise...weird flick, though.

One of my favorite indy writer/directors is John Sayles. I like virtually everything he does (Eight Men Out, Lone Star) but The Brother From Another Planet is really funny and underrated movie, IMO.

AND if you don't mind reading a few subtitles you MUST check out Juzi Itami. A Taxing Woman, Minbo and The Funeral are terrific and Tampopo is outstanding...a noodle western...really!

I'm a JJ fan.  I was dissapointed with Mystery Train...but, maybe I just wasn't in the mood.  I'd give it another shot. Down by Law is terrific and I liked Strangers in Paradise...weird flick, though.

One of my favorite indy writer/directors is John Sayles.  I like virtually everything he does (Eight Men Out, Lone Star) but The Brother From Another Planet is really funny and underrated movie, IMO.

AND if you don't mind reading a few subtitles you MUST check out Juzi Itami.  A Taxing Woman, Minbo and The Funeral are terrific and Tampopo is outstanding...a noodle western...really!

510539[/snapback]

Awesome....I'm going to see which of those are available on my Netflix acct......I love the fact that there are FILM fans on TBD and not just movie fans. There's so much good stuff out there that nobody ever hears about, you know?

I REALLY wanted to like STrangers in Paradise....I just was perplexed by the ending, I think. I wanted a little more out of it. I think Down by Law is clearly his best work, but that's just my opinion. I was absolutely thrilled to see Roberto Bengini in that flick...that was a huge surprise for sure. The guy just stole the show.

I actually saw Lone Star not long ago....I thought it was surprisingly good, actually. Eight Men Out is one I've been wanting to see a good while....I'm glad you reminded me of it. So much good stuff out there...... :)

Here's One I'm All Over

:)

510744[/snapback]

LOL! That's awesome.....I can't wait to see how it turns out

By the way, any of you guys disappointed that Terry Gilliam's 'Don Quixote' film was never completed? I would have LOVED to see the finished product.....Depp would have just been amazing in that role. I was just thinking about it cause they actually made a documentary film about how they attempted to get it done.....it was really damn good!

LOL!  That's awesome.....I can't wait to see how it turns out

By the way, any of you guys disappointed that Terry Gilliam's 'Don Quixote' film was never completed? I would have LOVED to see the finished product.....Depp would have just been amazing in that role. I was just thinking about it cause they actually made a documentary film about how they attempted to get it done.....it was really damn good!

510750[/snapback]

Another one on my need-to-see list, I'm also a big Gilliam fan, Brazil is my favorite..

Another one on my need-to-see list, I'm also a big Gilliam fan, Brazil is my favorite..

511053[/snapback]

As long as it doesn't turn out like The Brothers Grimm...a real stinker.