Losses vs. Embarrassments

ajzepp

It doesn't matter if you're talking about the four SBs, the Music City Travesty, the RJ/Flutie game, the Ronnie Harmon drop, etc, etc.....I, for one, have never had any trouble defending this team after a loss, nor have I ever let others' criticism of this franchise as "losers" get to me. I have always supported our Bills during those times and I always will.

What I, and assuredly many of you, cannot tolerate are the absolute embarrassments. What happened yesterday was just that. Getting beat by the Pittsburgh JV squad last year.....that was not a loss, it was an embarrassment. There simply is no fine line between these terms, especially as Bills fans. Another example....say we were 8-1 going into the game yesterday, like some of our early 90's teams would have been. They go into KC or Pitt and get hammered....embarrassment? Not really......Probably just a little bit of an ego issue and an underestimation of an opponent. Want to know how I know that? Cause those same teams ended up in the FRIGGIN superbowl at the end of the year. None of us liked to see those beatings we seemed to take once a year and on Monday night, but we knew it wasn't the real team. The REAL team would get to the playoffs and wipe their asses with guys like Marino, Elway, Montana, etc.

Lately, instead of being able to say, "eh, we know the team will rebound and they'll be there come playoff time....hell, the assbeating was probably even good for 'em", some of you are even looking toward the draft next year. And that's not really a criticism, cause I'm so damn EMBARRASSED after yesterday that thinking about the draft feels kinda good to me, too.

If nothing else, this team needs to find it's heart again. Hopefully JP is the guy who will not only give us that again by the example he sets, but he'll DEMAND it of those around him.....just like that other guy did a while back.

Win if you can....Lose if you must.....but enough with the embarrassment guys.

but always cheat. :P

Great post, I agree 100%. No excuse for humiliation. :D

509288[/snapback]

I don't have any problem with cheating at this point, LOL

STELLAR post.

Its been really hard to be a Bills fan, but watching this team's struggles over the past 8 seasons and seeing it go from bad to worse makes it even harder.

Wake me up when the next season starts cause this one is over. I simply do not see the Bills winning against proven, consistently good teams such as NE, Denver, Carolina, and Cinci.

My guess is that we'll finish 6-10, and we'll have yet another off season focused on rebuilding...

STELLAR post. 

Its been really hard to be a Bills fan, but watching this team's struggles over the past 8 seasons and seeing it go from bad to worse makes it even harder. 

Wake me up when the next season starts cause this one is over.  I simply do not see the Bills winning against proven, consistently good teams such as NE, Denver, Carolina, and Cinci. 

My guess is that we'll finish 6-10, and we'll have yet another off season focused on rebuilding...

509300[/snapback]

I'm really still in shock at how bad our defense has played.....that's the hardest thing for me to get over. I really didn't expect McGee to keep running kickoffs back for TDs.....stuff like that....but to have this defense just utterly collapse? I didn't see that coming. I remember watching that first 'Six Days 'til Sunday' program on NFL Network that featured Takeo and the boys, culminating in our dismantling of Houston. Geesh, how far we've fallen....unbelievable.

Its been really hard to be a Bills fan, but watching this team's struggles over the

past 8 seasons and seeing it go from bad to worse makes it even harder. 

509300[/snapback]

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels

Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles

Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes

Silver white winters that melt into springs

When the dog bites

When the bee stings

When I'm feeling sad

I simply remember my favorite things

And then I don't feel so bad

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels

Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles

Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes

Silver white winters that melt into springs

When the dog bites

When the bee stings

When I'm feeling sad

I simply remember my favorite things

And then I don't feel so bad

509312[/snapback]

Hey, Let's sign the Trapp family! Brilliant!

It's pretty bad getting emails of condolences from Skins fans...

It doesn't matter if you're talking about the four SBs, the Music City Travesty, the RJ/Flutie game, the Ronnie Harmon drop, etc, etc.....I, for one, have never had any trouble defending this team after a loss, nor have I ever let others' criticism of this franchise as "losers" get to me. I have always supported our Bills during those times and I always will.

What I, and assuredly many of you, cannot tolerate are the absolute embarrassments. What happened yesterday was just that. Getting beat by the Pittsburgh JV squad last year.....that was not a loss, it was an embarrassment. There simply is no fine line between these terms, especially as Bills fans. Another example....say we were 8-1 going into the game yesterday, like some of our early 90's teams would have been. They go into KC or Pitt and get hammered....embarrassment? Not really......Probably just a little bit of an ego issue and an underestimation of an opponent. Want to know how I know that? Cause those same teams ended up in the FRIGGIN superbowl at the end of the year. None of us liked to see those beatings we seemed to take once a year and on Monday night, but we knew it wasn't the real team. The REAL team would get to the playoffs and wipe their asses with guys like Marino, Elway, Montana, etc.

Lately, instead of being able to say, "eh, we know the team will rebound and they'll be there come playoff time....hell, the assbeating was probably even good for 'em", some of you are even looking toward the draft next year. And that's not really a criticism, cause I'm so damn EMBARRASSED after yesterday that thinking about the draft feels kinda good to me, too.

If nothing else, this team needs to find it's heart again. Hopefully JP is the guy who will not only give us that again by the example he sets, but he'll DEMAND it of those around him.....just like that other guy did a while back.

509279[/snapback]

Best post I have seen on this website.

509279[/snapback]

Good post!

Humiliating defeats have been much more common in the history of the Bills than victories or even competence. Those of us who have been fans since the 60s know that, overall, this has been a TERRIBLE franchise, with the exception of the period from say 1988 to 2000.

Between 1966 and 1988 the Bills were the worst team inj football. I can't tell you how many times I saw them do humiliating things. When they looked good, I could only wait for the pratfall back to their "normal" state of incompetence.

Unfortunately, I am getting that feeling about the Bills again. They have just gone back to what they have always been. No surprise, really. What else should we expect?

I want something different, but I don't expect it. The Bills and the Cubs. It doens't have to be that way, but it is.

Humiliating defeats have been much more common in the history of the Bills than victories or even competence.  Those of us who have been fans since the 60s know that, overall, this has been a TERRIBLE franchise, with the exception of the period from say 1988 to 2000. 

Between 1966 and 1988 the Bills were the worst team inj football. I can't tell you how many times I saw them do humiliating things. When they looked good, I could only wait for the pratfall back to their "normal" state of incompetence.

Unfortunately, I am getting that feeling about the Bills again.  They have just gone back to what they have always been.  No surprise, really.  What else should we expect?

I want something different, but I don't expect it.  The Bills and the Cubs.  It doens't have to be that way, but it is.

509697[/snapback]

Actually the 1980-81 teams (Knox) were pretty decent. The best OJ saw in Buffalo was 1973 thru 1975, in which the Bills led the league in scoring in 75 (unfortunately as good as the offense was, the "D" was equally as bad). but those were short spurts. Clearly the Bills best run was from 1988 to 2000.

1975...420 points, OJ had 1817 rush yards and 25 TD's, Jim Braxton 823 rush yards, 2974 team rushing yards (averaged over 200 yards a game on the ground!), Fergie had 25 TD pass and approx 2500 yards, Bobby Chandler with 55 catches and approx 750 yards. This was also a 14 game season back then. They ran at will, could throw anytime (in fact every single player who caught passes for the Bills that year averaged over 10 yards a reception, with the high being JD Hill at 18.5 on 36 catches, although John Holland had over a 20 yard average but on only 7 catches), yet the D was horrible and the Bills finished 8-6. But that was an exciting team to watch. 1st in scoring and total offense, yet 21st in defense.