So how did JP look?

ajzepp

To me JP looks a lot more relaxed, and confident. He seems to be making decisions much more quickly (good thing with this o-line) and his accuracy was greatly improved. I think he was throwing before to avoid being intercepted, hence alot of balls long and out of bounds, now he just appears to be throwing to the receivers. I think he studied too hard, and wanted too much to ba an immediate sucess. Now he is settling down and the pressure is off a little. The possible emergence of a bonifide NFL QB is the one shred of hope I am clinging to for this season.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As embarrassing and humiliating as this "loss" was today, it seems like a lot of people are saying that JP showed a lot of improvement today. Can you guys elaborate on it for those of us who (thankfully) didn't see this debaucle?

508212[/snapback]

against the31st ranked pass D . You figure it out . Yeah I watched the whole pitifull game. Roscoe was our ONLY bright spot. Nate got Old schooled. Our D back`s played Way too far off and got taken advantage of. :D

against the31st ranked pass D . You figure it out . Yeah I watched the whole pitifull game. Roscoe was our ONLY bright spot. Nate got Old schooled. Our D back`s played Way too far off and got taken advantage of. :D

508275[/snapback]

Nobody is nominating JP for offensive player of the week, but would you not say he has improved?

Nobody is nominating JP for offensive player of the week, but would you not say he has improved?

508290[/snapback]

[/quoteNot much to me. But I am a hard grader.The O-line really get confused with him in there for some reason. Watching him today when he had some time I seen him not see wide open receivers.Hey the season is done,so let him take his medicine and see what he has at the end of the year. :w00t:

I also thought JP looked OK behind a putrid line. He needs to watch and learn from Brees. When Brees gets pressure, he takes a couple steps up in the pocket and flings it to the open guy without any hesitation. JP sometimes back peddles and gets himself into all kinds of trouble. Brees is smooth baby!

Something like that.....but I couldn't agree more. We need to be able to play that kind of football.....if we want to convert a 4th and 1, by God we ought to be able to do it w/out having to give the ball to Daimon Shelton or try some circus ball crap.

508251[/snapback]

I disagree 100%.... Seriously, I don't understand how you hold that line of reasoning. You have an offense with 3-4 RB's, 5-6 WR's, 2-3 TE's... EVERY SINGLE ONE of those overpaid bastards should be able to handle the ball and do their jobs at any time on the field.

Succesful offenses don't rely on their best WR and their best RB to carry the load all the time. The Colts are dangerous becuase Manning distributes the ball to about 8 different people WITH CONFIDENCE. Denver is the same way. Keep your eye on what Gibbs does in Washington...

If they can't be trusted to do the most basic functions of their jobs - then get them off the team and find someone who can.

He was 20/36 for 168 and split a TD and INT. Most of the stats were stacked in garbage time (SD stopped blitzing and gave JP a chance to set his feet)...but to his credit, when the line gave him time, as everyone has said, he played well.

This loss is not on Losman (completely), and he DID take a step forward today. This was not the same Losman we saw in the Saints game...

508256[/snapback]

You can tack on 50 more yards and a TD to losman's stats, because thats what he lost on josh reed's drops...

I disagree 100%.... Seriously, I don't understand how you hold that line of reasoning.  You have an offense with 3-4 RB's, 5-6 WR's, 2-3 TE's...  EVERY SINGLE ONE of those overpaid bastards should be able to handle the ball and do their jobs at any time on the field.

Succesful offenses don't rely on their best WR and their best RB to carry the load all the time.  The Colts are dangerous becuase Manning distributes the ball to about 8 different people WITH CONFIDENCE.  Denver is the same way.  Keep your eye on what Gibbs does in Washington...

If they can't be trusted to do the most basic functions of their jobs - then get them off the team and find someone who can.

508359[/snapback]

I think we're making two separate points here.....absolutely you shoudl be able to rely on the peripheral players to do their job. That's not what I'm saying at all. My point is that we ought to be able to call plays and GET THE JOB DONE, no matter who gets the call. We should be able to decide what we want to do and have confidence in EVERY option. We are supposed to be the type of team that dictates the game, not the other way around. We are supposed to be able to shove it down the other team's throat and not think twice about it. That's not the kind of team we are. This team plays DESPERATE football more often than not. You shouldn't have to rely on the circus ball crap to make the offense work. You should have a good solid base of reliable, play making starters, and work from there. Edgerrin James, Peyton Manning, and Marvin Harrison are the heart of that team. I'm not saying their other role players don't get opps to score and make plays, cause they absolutely do. But if the big three wasn't as potent as they are, then chances are the peripheral players wouldn't be either! That's the order things work....I don't think you can do it in the reverse by establishing your peripheral players and expect THEM to help elevate your stars....I just don't agree with that at all. Willis, Evans/Moulds, and JP have GOT to be able to dictate the game. Then if you wnat to hand it off to Shelton, or throw it to Peters in the endzone, or run some sort of crazy crap, that's fine.....and chances are it'll be more effective and you won't play like a desperate team.

508290[/snapback]

[/quoteNot much to me. But I am a hard grader.The O-line really get confused with him in there for some reason. Watching him today when he had some time I seen him not see wide open receivers.Hey the season is done,so let him take his medicine and see what he has at the end of the year. :w00t:

508320[/snapback]

I would abstain from deciding who was wide open from the TV broadcasts! You only get a very very limited view, much different from the QBs vantage point. I don't doubt he didn't throw to an open WR a time or two (I didn't notice any obvious cases....but it's not like there were open WRs running all over the field). On TV you can't see who might be braking in from off the screen, etc. So I don't think this is a fair assessment. You can't really make an accurate assessment from watching the TV broadcast.

I think JP was good enough today...showing improvement, and an uncanny ability to escape the rush. Look, he's definately not pushing for the pro bowl, but that shouldn't be the measuring stick right now. From last week and today, in my opinion, he is now almost equal to Holcomb in ability. That's a step forward for JP, showing he can play in the NFL. To me, he has done that. He can play.

I also thought JP looked OK behind a putrid line.  He needs to watch and learn from Brees.  When Brees gets pressure, he takes a couple steps up in the pocket and flings it to the open guy without any hesitation.  JP sometimes back peddles and gets himself into all kinds of trouble.  Brees is smooth baby!

508328[/snapback]

I agree with the Brees part but unfortunately your Center should be able to contain the fat guy in front of him. Jammal Williams is a beast but Teague looked like a high school player out there.

I thought JP looked light years better than past games, and very promising. His throws were confident and on target (lots of drops). He made excellent decisions. Even his INT was not a bad decision, but just a half second late threading the needle with a bullet over the middle. He got away on plays where Bledoe, Holcomb, Kelly, or Reich would have gone down, looked great on that 30 yard run.

The O-Line gave him very little time, and the game got out of hand, but I liked what I saw in terms of progress.

He has a long way to go, but at 4-6 we can give him six games before we have to worry too much about the results. But given how thoroughly Buffalo was dominated in this game, I was very encouraged. Very tough road game against a very tough team (their four losses are all by a field goal against good teams), and he showed poise and talent as things crumbled around him.

The only thing today showed was that JP is better than KH. There is no reason for MM to go back to KH as the starter.

Even if OBD is holding onto the notion that the playoffs are within reach (ha!), JP gives the team the best chance to win.

If MM even thinks about going back to KH when he is healthy then he should be sent packing.

I thought JP did well considering the poor protection, the dismal play calling and yes, the Chargers. They should have just let JP line up in the shotgun like Daryle Lamonica and throw long bombs. If he connected on one or two, I think it could have caused the Chargers defensive backs to panic a bit and cause some interference penalties.

JP fought until the end. Kelly would be proud.

As embarrassing and humiliating as this "loss" was today, it seems like a lot of people are saying that JP showed a lot of improvement today. Can you guys elaborate on it for those of us who (thankfully) didn't see this debaucle?

508212[/snapback]

I was as vocaly critical of Losman's play the first four weeks of this season, and was (and still think it was the right thing) very much in favor of playing Holcomb. JP was not "NFL ready" to any acceptable level. That said, he is a different QB after sitting for a month. The stats in todays' game were downright pitiful, but they don't tell the whole story...JP still had a few miscues (he and Teague need to work on their silent count), but he has been very decisive, and we are finally seeing his incredible accuracy, when throwing on the run....I was very impressed by todays performance. When he decided to pull the ball down and run, he looked great...although there was the one scramble where, for some reason, he just kind of dumped the ball on the ground. It looked to me like he was thinking of throwing it away, or maybe to a receiver, and thought better of it while in mid-motion. He just dropped the ball...he had the prescence of mind to bat the ball out of bounds, as a Charger defender was closing in on him....

As any playoff hopes are a pipe-dream at this point, seeing JP play, and hopefully improve, might make the last six weeks of the season a little more palatable....it appears that playing behind our dreadful O-line will, at the very least, give JP a little head start for next season, for what has become, sadly, "Buffalo Bills football!" You know, watch your QB get the crap kicked out of him...

You can tack on 50 more yards and a TD to losman's stats, because thats what he lost on josh reed's drops...

508365[/snapback]

I know there is ample reason to be frustrated by Reed today, but that dropped TD pass was hardly a gimmie....if you replay it, he makes a great effort to get in position to catch it at all, his arms are fully extended over his head, he is in mid-air, falling on his back side, with a defender in his face...this is the kind of catch that guys like Terell Owens make look routine, not Josh Reed...

The first dropped pass that was a sure first down was the one that really got me. Gah. I've been a bit of a supporter of his, but man. those dropped balls HURT.

I also concur with a lot of the posts in here. JP wasn't a barn burner, but he wasn't in the barn burning either. Despite the pitiful performances around him (except special teams) he seemed more confident and played better QB. He lost it a little bit a couple times such as when TT didn't snap the ball on the silent count, and when he fumbled the ball on the scramble, but overall played reasonably poised.

After this game, I believe he finally is a better all-around option than Holcome.