wade, aj, and the ghost of john butler

dave mcbride

Absolutely asinine... Dave, take that flamebaiting BS elsewhere.

Butler left this team in shambles and you know it. His last draft goes down as the worst in Bills history. Threw money at every mediocre player he could find and stuck us in the ass with fan dividing QB situation.

Wade announces we have a punt catcher and tells the team that they don't have a chance to make the playoffs when they do...

Go rewrite history with your insinuations elsewhere.

Butler left this team in shambles and you know it.  His last draft goes down as the worst in Bills history.  Threw money at every mediocre player he could find and stuck us in the ass with fan dividing QB situation.

Wade announces we have a punt catcher and tells the team that they don't have a chance to make the playoffs when they do...

508114[/snapback]

Yep, John Butler's idea of rebuilding our Oline was......Joe Panos. Too bad TD can't have such clarity with his signings. I lived in Philly when we signed him....you should have heard the WIP (Philly) sports talk shows.....Butler had his sights set on warm weather and beaches far in advance, screwed over Ralph, and stuck us with an absolute crap draft. RIP, JB.....

don't think this isn't being noticed by wilson. butler took over a 1-15 team, and donohoe took over an 8-8 team. it's hard to avoid the subsequent results at this point.

508102[/snapback]

I agree with you. Butler did alot of good when he was there. One bad draft. Look at TD payroll and draft

Butler left this team in shambles and you know it.  His last draft goes down as the worst in Bills history.  Threw money at every mediocre player he could find and stuck us in the ass with fan dividing QB situation.

508114[/snapback]

this is ridiculous. he had one bad draft - everyone does, including donohoe as you probably know (troy edwards, anyone?). but as with donohoe, attacking butler's drafting record over time is an utter fool's errand. as for leaving the team in a "shambles", well, you probably know that i feel differently about the bs spread by donohoe about the "mess", much of which was addressed after the 99 season. simply put, for reasons that didn't seem stupid at the time to many, donohoe and williams decided to dump a lot of guys he thought were either underperforming or didn't fit their system. that of course accelerated a lot of bonuses, making the cap issue difficult. they chose to do this, though; it wasn't forced upon them as so many would believe. they made choices at qb and defensive line (i.e., not pursuing ted washington even after he came crawling back to them looking for about 2 mill a year) that in the long run hamstrung the franchise.

look, you can spin it any way you want, and you can continue to fixate on the 8-8 season in 2000 and the underwhelming draft from that year. i'll continue to remind people that from the time butler and smith became head honchos in the organization (1987 or 1988), good things happened to the team. from the time donohoe joined the team, aside from the decent player or three plus a decent choice in mularkey, not much has happened in 5 years. they're headed for a 7-9/6-10 season, and frankly, that ain't good enough. 6-10 puts him 32-48 over 5 years (and 29-35 excluding the 3-13 season). 32-48 is a 40% winning percentage.