why do painters wear

HtownBillsFan

Painters wear white clothes for a reason

Sept. 17, 2005 12:00 AM

Today's question:

I was walking my dog this morning and saw two very nice looking young men in fresh, spotless white coveralls preparing to paint a house, a somewhat messy job, at best. When did the custom of painters wearing white begin and why?

As luck would have it there is a guy here painting the outside of my house, and he always wears white, so I went out and put this question to him. advertisement

He said it was so they didn't look like carpenters.

OK.

But it turns out that nobody seems to know the answer for sure, but there a lot of theories. I found many of them in a survey done by the International Brotherhood of Painters and Allied Trades.

One theory holds that the custom of painters wearing white began in 18th-century England when buildings commonly were whitewashed. Another idea says that it began in the early 20th century when union painters adopted white as their uniform to set themselves aside from non-union workers. The union guys used to wear white clothes with black neckties as a symbol of their professionalism.

The theory I came across most often says that the most common color painters deal with is white, and they also deal with a lot of other white stuff such as plaster and spackle, so they wear white clothes so the splotches don't show. A painter in blue jeans is going to finish the day looking a lot messier than a painter in white.

Does bleach get paint stains out? I'm not sure, but if it does that would be another good reason for painting in white.

And last but not least, white is a symbol of cleanliness. It leaves the impression the painter is going to do a nice, neat and tidy job without getting paint all over himself and everything else, which is the way I paint.

Where do flies go at night?

Gee, I don't know. They find some quiet place and go to sleep, I guess.

A few years ago some researchers at the Neurosciences Institute in San Diego studied a bunch of fruit flies that they had put on 12-hour cycles of light and dark.

They obviously didn't sit around watching the flies all day. They used motion sensors to tell if the bugs were moving or not.

Anyway, they found out that when the lights were out, the flies hit the sack for most of the night. And just like human babies, baby flies slept three times longer than adults.

we had union painter here where I work and they wore white shirts and white pants.  I have seen this in many other places.  why would painters wear white?  just a question I have been pondering.  anyone have an answer?

506676[/snapback]

My brother in law is a painter, he has been staying with us for a few month, the reason he gave is, "Most times you end up with light colors anyway, 90% of the ceilings you paint are white, and thats where you get drips from. When painting the trim or walls in darker colors, there will be drips and brushed marks on you, but thats not generally the paint that you get on your clothes, its the white from the ceilings. Also, when the cloths get dirty, you can bleach the bejesus out of them to clean em."

For good painters, the white serves a similar function as the white pallette paper of an artist. One smears a bit of paint onto oneself. The consistent, non-additive whiteness of the cloth allows, both for a better gauge of proper mixing, and an idea of coating viscosity. That affects the color and protective thickness of the dried film.

It's something learned through experience; back in my auto manufacturing days, when most paint spraying was done by hand.

The (very talented) sprayers would run a bit of fluid on their company-provided white togs, arrive at a color and coverage opinion and fiddle with the spray gun's fan and air and fluid needle settings until they were satisfied. It was especially critical with a metallic basecoat, for several reasons.

Today's robotically-applied films are just fine, thanks to improved and more forgiving paint chemistry.

Today's robotically-applied films are just fine, thanks to improved and more forgiving paint chemistry.

506720[/snapback]

I'm sure even the most conscientious robots these days spray themselves first to ensure consistency... :lol:

I'm sure even the most conscientious robots these days spray themselves first to ensure consistency...  :)

506727[/snapback]

Given there is a 30 to 90 kV potential difference with their electrostatic or spining bell application process, I guess you just couldn't resist..

I'm starting to think that you would maybe survive a week or so if electricity died... :lol:

Painters wear white clothes for a reason

Sept. 17, 2005 12:00 AM

Today's question:

I was walking my dog this morning and saw two very nice looking young men in fresh, spotless white coveralls preparing to paint a house, a somewhat messy job, at best. When did the custom of painters wearing white begin and why?

As luck would have it there is a guy here painting the outside of my house, and he always wears white, so I went out and put this question to him. advertisement 

He said it was so they didn't look like carpenters.

OK.

But it turns out that nobody seems to know the answer for sure, but there a lot of theories. I found many of them in a survey done by the International Brotherhood of Painters and Allied Trades.

One theory holds that the custom of painters wearing white began in 18th-century England when buildings commonly were whitewashed. Another idea says that it began in the early 20th century when union painters adopted white as their uniform to set themselves aside from non-union workers. The union guys used to wear white clothes with black neckties as a symbol of their professionalism.

The theory I came across most often says that the most common color painters deal with is white, and they also deal with a lot of other white stuff such as plaster and spackle, so they wear white clothes so the splotches don't show. A painter in blue jeans is going to finish the day looking a lot messier than a painter in white.

Does bleach get paint stains out? I'm not sure, but if it does that would be another good reason for painting in white.

And last but not least, white is a symbol of cleanliness. It leaves the impression the painter is going to do a nice, neat and tidy job without getting paint all over himself and everything else, which is the way I paint.

Where do flies go at night?

Gee, I don't know. They find some quiet place and go to sleep, I guess.

A few years ago some researchers at the Neurosciences Institute in San Diego studied a bunch of fruit flies that they had put on 12-hour cycles of light and dark.

They obviously didn't sit around watching the flies all day. They used motion sensors to tell if the bugs were moving or not.

Anyway, they found out that when the lights were out, the flies hit the sack for most of the night. And just like human babies, baby flies slept three times longer than adults.

506683[/snapback]

Straight Dope?

(You know I'd never insult you by calling you "straight".)

Given there is a 30 to 90 kV potential difference with their electrostatic or spining bell  application process, I guess you just couldn't resist..

I'm starting to think that you would maybe survive a week or so if electricity died... :lol:

506730[/snapback]

I live life not worrying about ESD because I have no potential. :)

It all stems back to the rain of Louis the XIV in 14th century England. In 1423, a group of prisoners escaped from the famous English prison called a "Bastille". This day is still celebrated in France, because they hate the English. They rampaged the countryside and killed thousands.

After this, Louis the King saw to it that all prisoners wore white jump suits so they could be distinguished. Coincidentally, these prisoners also did much of the painting on public works projects. After a while, Louis switched them to orange jump suits to show off less of the paint, but many of the original painters were shipped off to Austria. At the time, Austria was where many English criminals were sent.

The prisoners complained about the orange suits and the ACLU petitioned on thier behalf. In this case the A was for Austrian. The prisoners got their white suits back which was a cunning move. As you know, it snows a lot in Austria and the painting prisoners blended in. They escaped.

In the 16th century, 1684 to be exact, painters all over the world were dismayed at the perception of the general public that painters were all stupid. They banded together and wore the white suits as a reminder of the clever painting prisoners that escaped Austria.