BULLETIN: Mike WIlliams getting cut

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bigger question becomes....

Hey Promo, what the hell are you doing watching Cold Pizza? Passing time until Oprah comes on?

506492[/snapback]

No Sports Center this morning due to some gol tourney on ESPN 1. Sorry I haven't been on all day. I'm in Montreal for a hockey tournament. I only just logged on.

PTR

Soooooo...since this really hasn't come up in the national media since Cold Pizza this morning, I guess we can assume that it was only speculation?? 

By the way...Cold Pizza?!?

506939[/snapback]

Those who know me know i don't pull anyone's leg. I'm surprised that there hasn't been anything about this. Maybe it was just a guest commentator saying what he "thought" might happen, but when they said MW to be cut by Bills, I perked my ears up and paid attention. I can't believe no one else saw it! It was around 9am. I guess no one watches Ice Cold Pizza!

PTR

Okay...I just spent the last 15 minutes searching the web. Apparently Cold Pizza has no info on what was said n their "Dawgged" show on their website. I have been snookered, but I know what I heard. I didn't imagine it. It must have been a guest columnist with a "what I think" segemnt. Sorry, guys and gals. :lol:

PTR

No Sports Center this morning due to some gol tourney on ESPN 1.  Sorry I haven't been on all day.  I'm in Montreal for a hockey tournament.  I only just logged on. 

PTR

506990[/snapback]

Oh, sure, seagull us. :lol: Playing or watching?

Oh, sure, seagull us.  :lol:  Playing or watching?

507003[/snapback]

Playing goal in a 35+ tourney. Lost game 1 5-3 (#5 an empty-netter) Have to win 2 & 3 to make the finals sunday. Our competition in our division is from Montral, Toronto, and Calagry. I wonder how the Yanks will do?

PTR

The Buffalo Bills lost cornerback Antoine Winfield in 2004 and now may lose Clements, who wants to be paid like an elite cornerback. Buffalo is expected to release defensive tackle Sam Adams and linebacker Jeff Posey and restructure tackle Mike Williams' deal to create cap room for Clements.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story.asp?id=143551

I don't have a link becuase this was just on TV.  Cold Pizza reports the Bills will cut Mike Williams, apparently to save the $10 they will owe him next season.  Did not get all the details.  Maybe someone else did.  NOt sure if they meant cut this week or cut at the end of the year, but I can't see keeping a guy around after you tell the world he's through.

PTR

506369[/snapback]

If the Bills were to cut Big ike today and he was claimed on waivers, the Bills would not have the cap space for the acceleration of his remaining amortization.

A veteran cut after Nov 1 is subject to waivers and if claimed that players remaining bonus amortization immediately falls on year of release. This rule is the reason the Bucs did not release MeShawn a couple of yrs ago.

Bills do not have the 2005 cap space for such an acceleration, thus, if it's true that he will be released, it will come before his $3 million roster bonus is due in 2006. Also, his release does not save $10 million, it saves less based upon timing of release. Please read HERE for a detailed look

So shall it be posted, so shall it be done! :lol:

And Polian drafted Kerry Collins with the #5 pick...  your point is?

506550[/snapback]

That was a telling question Scott. I will do my best...

I post this response assuming that MW will NOT be cut before next season, if at all.

MW is a clear bust. Collins was surely not worth a #5 when taking into account his substance issues, etc., but imo, he has out produced Williams by leaps and bounds. Faults notwithstanding, Collins did qb a team to a league championship game and a superbowl. During much of this time frame, MW has plodded, sulked, sucked, and drained the Bills of precious cap space.

In that same draft, TD chose none other than Josh Reed with the 4th pick of the 2nd round, another crystal clear bust. Since then, he has used the Buffalo Bills early picks primarily on receivers, a rb and a qb, and almost all of them lost a huge amout of time due to injury. While doing so, he traded away spots in round one, and gave up a 2nd and a 5th.

Unlike many others, I was pleased with the Bledsoe deal. Remember, it DID cost a 1st, but it was for the following season. He DID keep the #4, but he flat out blew the pick. I also do and have repeatedly praised TD's ability to sign free agents and manage the cap.

Overall, I must quote AKC. TD has built a "fantasy football team." He has brought Bills fans (in the drafts) a whole bunch of little people, most of whom were promptly injured. His good picks are listed in this thread and he deserves credit as such. Still, he flopped miserably at the best chance he ever had to help this football team. He took a fat RT with a #4 (an unorthodox move to say the least) and said #4 is playing at the level of a 4th round pick while earning 38 million dollars as I recall.

I give TD a complete pass for his first year. In fact, he did great things, to wit: getting rid of horses' asses such as Fina and Ostroski as well as straightening out a cap mess. His problem is that after this, he has not produced a good record, and left us with weak, flabby lines on both sides.

No, I don't have much trust left in TD in terms of fielding a winning team in Buffalo. I am NOT deeming it impossible mind you, but my expectations have lessened considerably.

How about you Scott?

If the Bills were to cut Big ike today and he was claimed on waivers, the Bills would not have the cap space for the acceleration of his remaining amortization.

A veteran cut after Nov 1 is subject to waivers and if claimed that players remaining bonus amortization immediately falls on year of release. This rule is the reason the Bucs did not release MeShawn a couple of yrs ago.

Bills do not have the 2005 cap space for such an acceleration, thus, if it's true that he will be released, it will come before his $3 million roster bonus is due in 2006. Also, his release does not save $10 million, it saves less based upon timing of release. Please read HERE for a detailed look

So shall it be posted, so shall it be done! tongue.gif

Interesting point...wonder how much cap space TO will eat up if claimed...

I know you have no love-loss for TD, but I imagine there's not a GM who over the course of their career has had no busts.

One pick isn't the be-all end-all. Certainly not anymore than saying his 2003 draft makes him the best GM in the history of Gms.  Both statements are reaches IMHO.

506380[/snapback]

It is when prior management teams selected players like Kelly, Reed, Bruce, and Thurmal with first round picks.

Not to throw darts at the journalistic integrity of sports journalists who can't work their way out of the "wacky morning show," but what would compel the Bills to leak this kind of news in mid-season?

506418[/snapback]

This is why i post at work...the "wacky morning show" comment had me rolling!

He drafted Charles Johnson, Troy Edwards and Jamain Stephens #1 in Pittsburgh as well.  TD actually came to Buffalo with something to prove about his personnel decisions, being that he was ousted in Pitt in favor of Bill Cowher.

Since he left, the Steelers have proven to be more efficient on draft day than when he was there, and that has a lot to do with their being a better team than Buffalo now.  TD's track record with personnel certainly isn't bad, but maybe it falls in that "just good enough to get you beat" category.  Ultimately though, what has made Donahoe look bad has been the coaching choices.  Williams was bad and the jury is still out on Mularkey and looking more dubious with each uneven performance by the team.

506516[/snapback]

The steelers have been one of the best if not the best draft teams in the league since TD left...Roethlisberger, Polomalu, Kendall Simmons, Casey Hampton...not to mention players like Parker and Randal El.

I agree with your premise: the fair way to assess their performance is looking at the big picture over the long haul.

I disagree with your evaluation and grade:  I think he rates between slightly above mediocre to pretty damn good.  I think his drafting, signing of free agents (including UDFAs) and general personal decisions (who to let go, who to sign) is close to top-notch.  His choice of "bosses" (HCs and coordinators)...not so good.  Althoough, I still have hopes-for/faith-in MM...Although I almost fired him (if I only had that power) after the 4th and inches call.

BUT, if his fate were in my hands... if the bottom line doesn't turn around by the end of next season it'd be buh-bye TD.

506654[/snapback]

Wins and losses is the only way to grade a GM we're well below .500 with TD at the helm, gone through 2 coaching staffs and have zero playoff appearances. Production like that out of people I hire hear at work would probably land me on my ass.

That was a telling question Scott. I will do my best...

In that same draft, TD chose none other than Josh Reed with the 4th pick of the 2nd round, another crystal clear bust.

507100[/snapback]

Great rookie year and our most consistent WR this season. Crystal clear bust??? I don't think so, even though he has really disappointed the 2 seasons prior to this one.

It is when prior management teams selected players like Kelly, Reed, Bruce, and Thurmal with first round picks.

507279[/snapback]

Wow, Reed and Thurmal, FIRST ROUND PICKS??????? :wacko::lol:

Try Reed 4th round and Thurmal 2nd round 0:)

And the year Kelly was drafted he was the Bills 2nd pick in the first round, Remember Tony Hunter??????? :blink:

So one out of four ain't bad... :lol: