BULLETIN: Mike WIlliams getting cut

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing it would prove is that the draft is a crap shoot.

How do you explain McGee, McGahee,  Evans, Clements, and Schobel? He gets no credit for those picks?

506522[/snapback]

You don't take the measure of a GM based on just one or two things even if they are major issues like a top pick. I think the fair way to assess their performance is looking at the big picture over the long haul. On that basis, Donohoe is rates somewhere between utter failure and mediocre. He has made some good decisions, no doubt, but he has made plenty of bad ones and in the final analysis, the team is simply not a very good team. This was his year to finally punch through the wall of averageness and it just isn't happening. The season is still very much in doubt so he still has a chance to improve his grade but at this point, you would have to rate him as a failure.

You don't take the measure of a GM based on just one or two things even if they are major issues like a top pick.  I think the fair way to assess their performance is looking at the big picture over the long haul.  On that basis, Donohoe is rates somewhere between utter failure and mediocre.  He has made some good decisions, no doubt, but he has made plenty of bad ones and in the final analysis, the team is simply not a very good team.  This was his year to finally punch through the wall of averageness and it just isn't happening.  The season is still very much in doubt so he still has a chance to improve his grade but at this point, you would have to rate him as a failure.

506584[/snapback]

I agree with your premise: the fair way to assess their performance is looking at the big picture over the long haul.

I disagree with your evaluation and grade: I think he rates between slightly above mediocre to pretty damn good. I think his drafting, signing of free agents (including UDFAs) and general personal decisions (who to let go, who to sign) is close to top-notch. His choice of "bosses" (HCs and coordinators)...not so good. Althoough, I still have hopes-for/faith-in MM...Although I almost fired him (if I only had that power) after the 4th and inches call.

BUT, if his fate were in my hands... if the bottom line doesn't turn around by the end of next season it'd be buh-bye TD.

Can anyone confirm PTR's post?  Did anyone else see this on "Cold Pizza", or is he pulling our leg?

506562[/snapback]

Good luck finding the other person who watched it, let alone getting her to admit to it.

The Native American translation of Cold Pizza is The View.

506671[/snapback]

A buddy of mine was on The View yesterday - no sh-- - segment on stay at home dads

The only thing it would prove is that the draft is a crap shoot.

How do you explain McGee, McGahee,  Evans, Clements, and Schobel? He gets no credit for those picks?

506522[/snapback]

Oh, he did very well with those. No doubt about it. But he also engineered the Bledsoe debacle, hired Gregg Williams, Hired Mike Mularkey, has FAILED to address the offensive line....

For every positive move he's had you can come up with at least one negative. And in the business of being an NFL GM, that means failure. NFL GMs are expected to produce more plusses than minuses. That's why there are so few really good GMs out there.

I'm pissed we wasted the highest pick in a long time on Mike Williams, and subsequently TD should get graded down for this selection, but it's laughable that he should be hanged because of this one draft pick.  At the time TD had 3 options, Williams, McKinnie, or a trade down.  Now I enjoy the armchair GM role, and obviously about half the wall does also, but of those three options two of them wouldn't have met the Walls talent to cost ratio, and a trade down held no guarantees.

506558[/snapback]

Wanna be sick? How do you think Dwight Freeney or Ed Reed or Jeremy Shockey or John Henderson etc would look in Bills uniforms right now? All were on the board when we picked

One more reminder- you draft for best value not for need

LOL Mikey is getting cut. That is no shocker. You can't sit on the bench and make 7 mil.

No official word needed. They already told you what was gonna happen when he was moved from right tackle. His only shot to stay is to play guard { :lol: } and restructure. Both longshots imo. Bye Bye.

506422[/snapback]

How much should we all bet on this? The college fund?

Wanna be sick?  How do you think Dwight Freeney or Ed Reed or Jeremy Shockey or John Henderson etc would look in Bills uniforms right now?  All were on the board when we picked

One more reminder- you draft for best value not for need

506723[/snapback]

Point is none of those players had the value of a top 5 pick at the time, and had TD traded down what guarantee did we have three years ago with any of the players mentioned? It's easy to use hindsight and say he made a mistake because we know how the draft paned out, but back then nobody looked at it as a mistake, not even a critic like Jerry Sullivan.

Keeping in mind Bledsoe's mobility issues and the state of our line, if TD chose anyone but a lineman in that spot he would have been assasinated. Can you imagine if he chose a tight end in that spot, without the benefit we now have of knowing how Shockey turned out?

506750[/snapback]

Exactly, this place would of lost it

No way are we cutting a competent player who's already getting paid for all of this year in the middle of the season.

On top of that, what would happen if (knock on wood) Peters or Gandy gets hurt!?

He's not a locker room problem. He's still not 100% healthy, Why the hell would we cut him now?

This is some talking head with an overactive imagination at best.

Point is none of those players had the value of a top 5 pick at the time, and had TD traded down what guarantee did we have three years ago with any of the players mentioned?  It's easy to use hindsight and say he made a mistake because we know how the draft paned out, but back then nobody looked at it as a mistake, not even a critic like Jerry Sullivan.

506736[/snapback]

TD tried to trade down and there were no partners. It is no longer easy to trade down and stockpile picks. That time has come and gone. We drafted Williams too high so we could fill a need. My point is that the value for later picks was there. Freeney was far and away the best pass rusher in that draft. Reed was one of the better Safety prospects in years. Who cares if Kiper has them projected as late first rounders? I measure value by ability and what that player brings to the team. Everyone laughed when the Bengals drafted Levi Jones that high and the Colts Freeney. Whos laughing now?

I'll need a link before I believe this.

If it happens it's proof positive of Tom Donohoes ultimate failure as a GM.

506371[/snapback]

This is all the proof you'll need:

NFL regular season records since 2001 (playoff appearances in parentheses):

1. Pats: 53-20 (3)

2. Eagles: 52-21 (4)

3. Steelers: 51-21-1 (3)

4. Colts: 49-24 (3)

5. Packers: 46-27 (4)

6. Rams: 45-28 (2)

7. Broncos: 44-29 (2)

8. Seahawks: 42-31 (2)

9. Bucs: 39-34 (2)

10. Chiefs: 39-34 (1)

11. Falcons: 38-34-1 (2)

12. Ravens: 38-35 (2)

13. Jets: 37-36 (3)

14. Titans: 37-36 (2)

15. Fins: 37-36 (1)

16. Bears: 35-38 (1)

17. Chargers: 34-39 (1)

18. Saints: 34-39 (0)

19. 49ers: 33-40 (2)

20. Raiders: 33-40 (2)

21. Giants: 33-40 (1)

22. Panthers: 33-40 (1)

23. Cowboys: 32-41 (1)

24. Vikings: 32-41 (1)

25. Jags: 32-41 (0)

26. Redskins: 31-42 (0)

27. Bengals: 31-42 (0)

28. Bills: 30-43 (0)

29. Browns: 28-45 (1)

30. Cards: 24-49 (0)

31. Texans: 17-40 (0)

32. Lions: 20-53 (0)

There is no question that the contracts of the Top 5 picks makes most of them more liability than asset. Nobody wants to trade up to pay a rookie who has never played an NFL snap top UFA dollars.

That being said, there is absolutely no excuse for not looking at Geisinger at OLG now. Bennie is a disaster and should also get the axe. Where will that leave the Bills? That's right, with absolutely no experience at OLG unless Geisinger gets some...

TD tried to trade down and there were no partners.  It is no longer easy to trade down and stockpile picks.  That time has come and gone.  We drafted Williams too high so we could fill a need.  My point is that the value for later picks was there.  Freeney was far and away the best pass rusher in that draft.  Reed was one of the better Safety prospects in years.  Who cares if Kiper has them projected as late first rounders?  I measure value by ability and what that player brings to the team.  Everyone laughed when the Bengals drafted Levi Jones that high and the Colts Freeney.  Whos laughing now?

506808[/snapback]

Levi Jones was picked 10th, Dwight Freeney at 11th, and Ed Reed 24th. At the time most thought Jones and Freeney would go much later then those picks, and not one NFL team took Reed all the way until the 24th pick. TD doesn't have the luxury of waiting 3 years to see what the true value of the players turned out to be, The Bills, and the rest of the league must place value on selections before they see them play in the NFL. It just so happens that TD, and the rest of the league valued Jones, Freeney, and Reed at those slots based on what they had to go with. Using value based on hindsight is an easy game, but it just doesn’t work like that, if it did we would see no busts, and Tom Brady would have been pick #1 in 2000 instead of pick #199.