BULLETIN: Mike WIlliams getting cut

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Mikey is getting cut. That is no shocker. You can't sit on the bench and make 7 mil.

No official word needed. They already told you what was gonna happen when he was moved from right tackle. His only shot to stay is to play guard { :lol: } and restructure. Both longshots imo. Bye Bye.

506422[/snapback]

Yes - but not before the season ends. You rather have a guy earning money on the bench than in his own living room.

i think the bills would like him at RT and peters at LT, along with drafting a guy, and signing a guy (le'charles for 5 bucks a year would be about 1.5 bucks more than trey and 2 times as good).

if williams can play RT as well as he did last year, and sign a blend and extend that will get him costing an average of 5 bucks a year on the cap instead of the 7 that he averages now, we could end up having a solid line with essentially zero cap hit.

that leaves us cash to sign our rook DT, lock up Clements, and even grab grady jackson or something

i think the bills would like him at RT and peters at LT, along with drafting a guy, and signing a guy (le'charles for 5 bucks a year would be about 1.5 bucks more than trey and 2 times as good).

506457[/snapback]

Wouldn't they be starting Peters at LT NOW ?

Wouldn't they be starting Peters at LT NOW ?

506459[/snapback]

At this point in time, Gandy is better than Peters, and Peters is better than Williams. I think, eventually, McNally wants Peters at LT, but right now you have to play the better player at LT, and right now, Gandy is the better player.

I know you have no love-loss for TD, but I imagine there's not a GM who over the course of their career has had no busts.

One pick isn't the be-all end-all. Certainly not anymore than saying his 2003 draft makes him the best GM in the history of Gms.  Both statements are reaches IMHO.

506380[/snapback]

He drafted Charles Johnson, Troy Edwards and Jamain Stephens #1 in Pittsburgh as well. TD actually came to Buffalo with something to prove about his personnel decisions, being that he was ousted in Pitt in favor of Bill Cowher.

Since he left, the Steelers have proven to be more efficient on draft day than when he was there, and that has a lot to do with their being a better team than Buffalo now. TD's track record with personnel certainly isn't bad, but maybe it falls in that "just good enough to get you beat" category. Ultimately though, what has made Donahoe look bad has been the coaching choices. Williams was bad and the jury is still out on Mularkey and looking more dubious with each uneven performance by the team.

If it happens it's proof positive of Tom Donohoes ultimate failure as a GM.

506371[/snapback]

The only thing it would prove is that the draft is a crap shoot.

How do you explain McGee, McGahee, Evans, Clements, and Schobel? He gets no credit for those picks?

The bigger question becomes....

Hey Promo, what the hell are you doing watching Cold Pizza? Passing time until Oprah comes on?

506492[/snapback]

Beat me to it as usual, LA. My question was: Watching Cold Pizza? Isn't there an informercial, or something, on?

He drafted Charles Johnson, Troy Edwards and Jamain Stephens #1 in Pittsburgh as well.  TD actually came to Buffalo with something to prove about his personnel decisions, being that he was ousted in Pitt in favor of Bill Cowher.

Since he left, the Steelers have proven to be more efficient on draft day than when he was there, and that has a lot to do with their being a better team than Buffalo now.  TD's track record with personnel certainly isn't bad, but maybe it falls in that "just good enough to get you beat" category.  Ultimately though, what has made Donahoe look bad has been the coaching choices.  Williams was bad and the jury is still out on Mularkey and looking more dubious with each uneven performance by the team.

506516[/snapback]

Yeah, those '90's Steelers under TD were perennial cellar-dwellers. :lol:

I'm pissed we wasted the highest pick in a long time on Mike Williams, and subsequently TD should get graded down for this selection, but it's laughable that he should be hanged because of this one draft pick. At the time TD had 3 options, Williams, McKinnie, or a trade down. Now I enjoy the armchair GM role, and obviously about half the wall does also, but of those three options two of them wouldn't have met the Walls talent to cost ratio, and a trade down held no guarantees.

I criticize TD all the time, but unlike Jerry Sullivan I try not to do it in hindsight because TD doesn't have that luxury. TD deserves blame for plenty of decisions that seemed questionable at the time, let's stick to those instead of blasting him for a move 90% of the GM's would have made given the circumstances.