BULLETIN: Mike WIlliams getting cut

PromoTheRobot

I don't have a link becuase this was just on TV. Cold Pizza reports the Bills will cut Mike Williams, apparently to save the $10 they will owe him next season. Did not get all the details. Maybe someone else did. NOt sure if they meant cut this week or cut at the end of the year, but I can't see keeping a guy around after you tell the world he's through.

PTR

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a link becuase this was just on TV.  Cold Pizza reports the Bills will cut Mike Williams, apparently to save the $10 they will owe him next season.  Did not get all the details.  Maybe someone else did.  NOt sure if they meant cut this week or cut at the end of the year, but I can't see keeping a guy around after you tell the world he's through.

PTR

506369[/snapback]

I'll need a link before I believe this.

If it happens it's proof positive of Tom Donohoes ultimate failure as a GM.

506371[/snapback]

I know you have no love-loss for TD, but I imagine there's not a GM who over the course of their career has had no busts.

One pick isn't the be-all end-all. Certainly not anymore than saying his 2003 draft makes him the best GM in the history of Gms. Both statements are reaches IMHO.

506371[/snapback]

But wait, I thought TD's biggest flaw was that he stubbornly hold on to "his" guys, regardless of performance.

Goes to show you that an NFL GM's job is about as thankless as it gets, at least for 31 of them.

I know you have no love-loss for TD, but I imagine there's not a GM who over the course of their career has had no busts.

One pick isn't the be-all end-all. Certainly not anymore than saying his 2003 draft makes him the best GM in the history of Gms.  Both statements are reaches IMHO.

506380[/snapback]

True dat.

Cap ramifications.  What's left of his bonus that they will have to eat if they do cut him?

506392[/snapback]

Clumpy Link

$6.9M to cut him before the 2006 roster bonus

vs.

$7M 2006 salary + roster bonus

&

$5M 2007 salary.

I believe he's gone... no earth-shattering news, just common sense.

(ref. Ruben Brown)

506371[/snapback]

If, by your estimation, ultimate failure as a GM is picking the wrong guy with a top ten pick, then the true ultimate failures are "GM's" in Cin, Ari, Det, Cle, etc who get 3-5 top 10 picks over the course of 5 years and have few that turn out any good...By that estimation, TD's just a pretender...

To answer my own question:

This comes from Clumping Platelets, cap expert from the BillsZone.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=83035

Salary: $4 million

Roster bonus: $3 million

Amortized bonus: $3,453,333

"Deion" debit: $360,431

(add all 4)

Cap hit: $10,813,764

Salary: $5 million

Amortized bonus: $3,453,333

"Deion" credit: ($1,081,293)

(add 1st 2 and subtract credit)

Cap hit: $7,372,040

By cutting him before June 1 the Bills would have a cap hit of roughly $6.9 million, but save about $3.9 from the $10.8 cap hit from keeping him. By cutting him after June 1 they spread the cap hit for cutting him over 2 years, or about $3.45 million per year.

I could see it happening if he shows no improvement and gets benched again in San Diego and at home against Carolina

If not then he gets cut if they can't restructure his contract in at the end of the season.

506396[/snapback]

There is no point in cutting him now....Being in his 4th year, I think his

salary is guaranteed for the year....Considering the lack of depth on the OL

I don't think we will be cutting him any time soon....

Plus, all this seems speculation...I haven't seen any official word complaining about MW.

Not to throw darts at the journalistic integrity of sports journalists who can't work their way out of the "wacky morning show," but what would compel the Bills to leak this kind of news in mid-season?

You're sure the host said "the Bills will cut MW" and not "the Bills will likely cut MW because blah blah blah..."? In other words, fact/news versus speculation/rumor...

LOL Mikey is getting cut. That is no shocker. You can't sit on the bench and make 7 mil.

No official word needed. They already told you what was gonna happen when he was moved from right tackle. His only shot to stay is to play guard { :lol: } and restructure. Both longshots imo. Bye Bye.