Your Favorite Guitar Solo

Mikie2times

Until I discovered Rush the drum solo in The Mule was the most incredible I'd ever heard.

I was only 10 when it came out so I couldn't enjoy it in quite the way you did at the time.

504530[/snapback]

It had been out for years by the time I went to college (the first time). This was in the mid-80's.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who's into Leo Kottke should check out John Fahey. He pretty much jump-started Kottke's career and was a giant influence on him, too. Aside from dozens of folk artists who have been influenced by him, Jim O'Rourke, Sonic Youth, Wilco and Jack Rose count him as a forbear. Jimmy Page couldn't have happened without him. In addition, he was a collector and digger for a lot of amazing roots music -- he was instrumental in the rediscovery of artists like Charley Patton and Bukka White, and he helped unearth tons of early folk/blues/bluegrass recordings from as early as the late 1890s (released on the "American Primitive" series).

One of my favorite guitarists and artists, ever -- seriously underrated, probably because he looked like Lurch and was a little eccentric. But man, could that guy play.

If anyone is into the Grateful Dead pick up "Infrared Roses', a collection of their freeform experimenting that used to take place during/between songs at their concerts. You'll hear some truly trippy guitar and drum solos. Awesome stuff.

504737[/snapback]

My favorite is pretty much anything Warren Haynes has laid down over the last decade, but the Allmans did a version of Southbound (with old pianist Chuck Leavel, in town with the Stones) featuring a Warren solo that nearly brought tears to my eyes.

nice list, however it ignores most anything the past 10 years. While there hasn't been as much as great guitar solos, there still some pretty good ones that were omitted.

504622[/snapback]

Non of which were even remotely good enough for you to include along with others in this thread. :)

Tons of choices. For a pure lead that has depth, balance, and requires a fair bit of skill probably Elliott Randall's studio work on Reelin' in the Years. Not as pushy as the rock giants but a very good lead nonetheless.

504640[/snapback]

That's a GREAT world-class solo. A couple more Steely Dan bombshells (there are way too many to name all of them) are the solos on Boddhisatva (Denny Dias) and Gold Teeth II (perhaps Dias again...not sure).

Check out the solo on Gold Teeth II. Here's an early studio take with the final guitar solo. The solo is about 1/2 way through. Enjoy!

http://www.symmetricalmedia.com/sdarchive/...alt.%20mix).mp3

My favorite is pretty much anything Warren Haynes has laid down over the last decade,

504767[/snapback]

As I was reading this thread I was just thinking that although I probably couldn't name my fav off the top of my head it would most likely been preformed by Haynes. One of these years I'm going to get my a$$ up to Asheville for his annual X-Mas Jam

Ohh...good one.  I forgot about him.

I always like the guitair work in "Goodbye Stranger" too, though it's not really a 'solo' as defined here.

504826[/snapback]

Cliffs of Dover, technically, is a solo in its entirety. I didn't want to count it.

And as Eric Johnson goes, the solo in "All About You" is probably better. Musically as tight as anything he's done, and a technical marvel.

Cliffs of Dover, technically, is a solo in its entirety.  I didn't want to count it.

And as Eric Johnson goes, the solo in "All About You" is probably better.  Musically as tight as anything he's done, and a technical marvel.

I haven't heard "All About You" but it's title and your description suggests that it's similar to "Desert Rose," i.e. a schmaltzy song with a kickass solo.

I haven't heard "All About You" but it's title and your description suggests that it's similar to "Desert Rose," i.e. a schmaltzy song with a kickass solo.

504900[/snapback]

It's off "Venus Isle"...which I think has better composition than "Ah Via Musicom" but was badly over-produced. But...yeah, same basic principle. Maybe a little less frenetic and pressured than "Desert Rose".