Any Auto Experts Out There?

PTS

The cooling system in my car (2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT) needs to be flushed and filled. I got quoted $40 which is a great price but since I will be buying a new car in the near future, I would like to learn how to do some of this auto stuff on my own. Here's what I gathered on what I need to do. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

1. Remove the drain plug under the radiator.

2. Let the old crap drain out.

3. Take a hose to the overflow tank and run water thru it for five minutes.

4. Put the drain plug back on and fill the radiator with water.

5. Start and run the car for five minutes.

6. Drain out the water.

7. Refill with new antifreeze.

Seems pretty simple I hope.

The problem w/ flushing the system yourself is what to do w/ the waste fluid. To fully flush the system, figure you're going to be outputing at least 3x your coolant capacity; for some cars, that's > 15 gals. You can't just pour it down the drain.

If it's only $40, I'd suggest having it done.

The problem w/ flushing the system yourself is what to do w/ the waste fluid.  To fully flush the system, figure you're going to be outputing at least 3x your coolant capacity; for some cars, that's > 15 gals.  You can't just pour it down the drain.

If it's only $40, I'd suggest having it done.

503991[/snapback]

I thought garages, at least in New York State, had to accept waste fluids (oil/AF)....and the way he put it, it sounded like it wasn't as much about the money...

I thought garages, at least in New York State, had to accept waste fluids (oil/AF)....

503996[/snapback]

I think he's talking less about the old fluid, and more about the water it's flushed with. It's just easier to let the garage flush 15 gallons through the system and deal with the waste there, rather than cart 15+ gallons of waste (which is a hell of a lot, really) to the garage.

The cooling system in my car (2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT) needs to be flushed and filled. I got quoted $40 which is a great price but since I will be buying a new car in the near future, I would like to learn how to do some of this auto stuff on my own. Here's what I gathered on what I need to do. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

6. Drain out the water.

503965[/snapback]

Buy a flush kit at parts store, $10. dollars? easy directions and takes about 30 mins..With the kit is a tee fitting you install on the heater hose,which allows the heater core to be flushed in the process...

6. Drain out the water.

503965[/snapback]

Why do you believe you need a coolant change? How many miles? Your pink Dex-Cool II is long-lived. And a changeout is not a flush (which I'd be leery about - let sleeping dogs and crud lie in peace)

And check - your radiator may not have a draincock...lower hose removal may be needed. Perhaps, then, a new hose...not a bad idea with an older car.

If you want to change it, I'd go and pay the forty bucks.

If you choose to do it yourself, be sure you control spillage - animals like to lap it up, and it brings them an agonizing death if they consume it.

Since I bought the car in June of 2000, I've never had the cooling system flushed. I have just under 100k miles on the car and when I had my car in for a NYS inspection this week, they told me I should look at getting it flushed as it was starting to get bad.

I'd like to do it myself for the sake of learning how to do it myself. The money isn't an issue. I'd know how to fix computers and other crap like that, but when it comes to cars, I don't know jack. One can't be a man unless he knows how to fix something on a car. ;)

As for disposing the fluids, I'm under the assumption that you can take the fluids to any auto garage and they are legally obligated to dispose of it for you.

As for disposing the fluids, I'm under the assumption that you can take the fluids to any auto garage and they are legally obligated to dispose of it for you.

504047[/snapback]

For a fee of course.

We are talking about A LOT of fluid here, which is why this particular job ain't really worth doing.

For a fee of course.

We are talking about A LOT of fluid here, which is why this particular job ain't really worth doing.

504053[/snapback]

In NY State, I think they are legally obligated to do it at no cost.

I've never fully flushed a radiator.  I agree with the sleeping dogs (and crud) lie theory.

504041[/snapback]

It's a good theory. For minor leaks, be it radiator or head gasket, I recommend Solder-Seal's (I think that brand name is gone, tho) aluminum powder. It won't clog anything (like Bar's Leak can), and simply migrates and impacts into the leak because of the system pressure drop.

I've had success with it through the years.

For those who need a flush, make sure it includes a static pressure test, which will expose a failed cap, hose leaks, etc.

Having coolant hoses to and from the radiator replaced every 4 years or so is a good idea. Hoses leading to the heater core seldom present problems.

Also note that the ubiquitous serpentine drive belt, in addition to powering the power steering pump and alternator, can also power the motor's water pump in today's transverse FWD drivetrain configuration. If it fails, you will overheat. If that happens, be sure to have the oil changed...it got cooked.

I wouldn't go more than 3 years without a belt change. And it's seldom a do-it-yourself item, simple as it might seem. Loosening up motor mounts and jacking up the block is not unknown.

Pay the 80 - 130 bucks. Beats getting stuck... ;)

6. Drain out the water.

503965[/snapback]

Several points:

First, at $40 I very much doubt they are doing a flush and fill. It most likely a drain and fill.

Secondly, You can add Prestone radiator flush liquid to the first batch of fresh water (step 3) and do the fresh water thing twice over before you fill with new anti-freeze (remember to dilute 60-40 per instructions or get pre-diluted)

Thirdly, I have always flushed and filled myself every 2-3 years no matter what the situation of the anti-freeze. In last 12 years, never had a radiator leak (save when I punched a screw driver through it by mistake ;) )

Lastly, ask your village/town government where to dispose off the old fluid and flush water. We have a facility here which accepts oil and other fluids on certain days.

Why do you believe you need a coolant change? How many miles? Your pink Dex-Cool II is long-lived. And a changeout is not a flush (which I'd be leery about - let sleeping dogs and crud lie in peace)

And check - your radiator may not have a draincock...lower hose removal may be needed. Perhaps, then, a new hose...not a bad idea with an older car.

If you want to change it, I'd go and pay the forty bucks.

If you choose to do it yourself, be sure you control spillage - animals like to lap it up, and it brings them an agonizing death if they consume it.

504012[/snapback]

Abosolutely right Cincy... Let sleeping dogs lie in peace.

I had a 1991 Dodge awhile back that I drained from the plastic drain-rooster... Never quite right after that... Even after replacing the dang thing... Seemed it always leaked during cold weather.

Which partially explains $8K in property taxes on houses costing less than $200K.

504072[/snapback]

Red herring Darin.

It has got to go somewhere? Most states have the laws. Autozone will take it for free.

Most building codes in the US prevent floor drains from being installed in garage floors of new constructions. So where does one put the stuff? :lol::lol:

;):lol:

Red herring Darin.

It has got to go somewhere?  Most states have the laws.  Autozone will take it for free.

Most building codes in the US prevent floor drains from being installed in garage floors of new constructions.  So where does one put the stuff?  :lol:  :lol:

;)  :lol:

504161[/snapback]

Your drinking water, apparently.

To clarify what I was getting at -

I realize the money isn't excessive & therefore isn't the issue.

Also, draining & replacing coolant is REALLY simple, so I assume you really want to flush it. (I'd recommend doing it BTW, I had a radiator clog up after < 20k miles likely 'cuz I didn't flush it. Granted it was more than 10 years.)

The main reason why I'd suggest having it done is that although here in NYS any place that does radiator work is required to take your old coolant (for free AFAIK), as I mentioned, is it really worth toting maybe 15 gals of stuff to a garage. Whaddaya going to put it in?