WGR

meazza

Not trying to be a wise-ass, but I am 40.  Am I still too young to remember Felser at his prime?  When was his prime?

503016[/snapback]

70's.

If you are in Buffalo, you can access the Buffalo News (Buffalo Evening News) with microfilm at the downtown library.

Hey guys, i'm from montreal and I'd like to know if there is a way of getting WGR radio or anyother buffalo bill type radio online.

502890[/snapback]

Meazza, where do you watch the games in Montreal?

When I have been in Montreal, Champs on St. Laurent has been very reliable for watching most any NFL game.

Who will win the Grey Cup? BC is showing some cracks.

70's.

If you are in Buffalo, you can access the Buffalo News (Buffalo Evening News) with microfilm at the downtown library.

504067[/snapback]

I just remember him doing what everone hates Sullivan so much for now. Being extremely negative (although in Felsers' defense, there was a lot more to be negative about in the 70's as far as the Bills are concerned) and waffling on Bills subjects. I grew up loving Joe Ferguson, and he would rip him mercilessly when he had a bad game, on some truly dreadful teams, and then praise him as the "quiet, under apprectiated" leader of the Bills, when they won. I never really got the feeling that he really knew what he was watching. I remember my dad could not stand him...maybe that clouded my vision. It always seemed as though his "legend" status was more a product of longevity than quality or insight....his stuff now is truly dreadful....whatever happened to Ralph Hubbel?

I just remember him doing what everone hates Sullivan so much for now.  Being extremely negative (although in Felsers' defense, there was a lot more to be negative about in the 70's as far as the Bills are concerned) and waffling on Bills subjects.  I grew up loving Joe Ferguson, and he would rip him mercilessly when he had a bad game, on some truly dreadful teams, and then praise him as the "quiet, under apprectiated" leader of the Bills, when they won.  I never really got the feeling that he really knew what he was watching.  I remember my dad could not stand him...maybe that clouded my vision.  It always seemed as though his "legend" status was more a product of longevity than quality or insight....his stuff now is truly dreadful....whatever happened to Ralph Hubbel?

504099[/snapback]

I don't remember it like that. I remember half the time Felser was favorable and half the time he was extremely critical. I don't recall many fans that thought Felser was really unfair all the time, or overly negative, although obviously there were some like your dad. I agree the last ten years or more he has been dreadful.

I just remember him doing what everone hates Sullivan so much for now.  Being extremely negative (although in Felsers' defense, there was a lot more to be negative about in the 70's as far as the Bills are concerned) and waffling on Bills subjects.  I grew up loving Joe Ferguson, and he would rip him mercilessly when he had a bad game, on some truly dreadful teams, and then praise him as the "quiet, under apprectiated" leader of the Bills, when they won.  I never really got the feeling that he really knew what he was watching.  I remember my dad could not stand him...maybe that clouded my vision.  It always seemed as though his "legend" status was more a product of longevity than quality or insight....his stuff now is truly dreadful....whatever happened to Ralph Hubbel?

504099[/snapback]

Ralph Hubbell:

Ralph Hubbell passed away September 14, 2000. He used to live on Huntington Avenue in North Buffalo. He used to do work for the Buffalo Braves among many other things. When I was kid I used to have to sell pizzas for Cub Scouts and Ralph's house was about four blocks away. He used to always buy pizzas from me and he always took time to answer this sports fanatic's numerous questions. I remember one time he was standing outside on his front porch and we talked Bills, Braves and Sabres. It was cold out and he didn't have a jacket but he loved talking sports.

http://www.buffalosportshallfame.com/1991/ralph_hubbell.html

http://www.billdulmage.com/skeds/buffalo/wben.html

Ralph also wrote a book about Buffalo sports titled "Come Walk With Me".

He was a great writer and a gentleman.

How is Howard Simon on WGR?  I always thought he was terrific on the FM station.  Did WGR ruin him?  I never could stand any of WGR's "personalities".

Simon rarely dealt in fake controversy (like most radio talk...as well a bunch of the stuff on ESPN: Around the Horn, nu skool vs. old school, the idiot Salsbury vs the dork Clayton, etc).  He had thoughtful conversations...was critical w/o bashing...etc.  He also usually let the callers talk even if they disagreed with him (unless they were obnoxious ranters).

So, what's become of him?

504043[/snapback]

I don't think that he is as good as he was on WNSA but he is still very listenable. I hadn't thought that much of him when he was just on Empire, but I really liked his radio shows on WNSA.

He is still 1000% better than D'ohopp and the Bullfrog. In an ideal world, he'd get moved from mornings to the afternoon and Riter would get moved to the morning drive time. The other 2 can get moved sometime to the evening after the signal strength goes down and I can't pick WGR up.

504099[/snapback]

It seemed back in the late '70's and early '80's that he was the ultimate bandwagon jumper. If they won a game they were playoff bound and if they lost one they were the worst team in the world. The effect was even more magnified for Fergy. I never thought too much of Felser when growing up but didn't mind listening to him when he'd be on Howard's show on WNSA in the afternoons.

I don't think that he is as good as he was on WNSA but he is still very listenable.  I hadn't thought that much of him when he was just on Empire, but I really liked his radio shows on WNSA.

He is still 1000% better than D'ohopp and the Bullfrog.  In an ideal world, he'd get moved from mornings to the afternoon and Riter would get moved to the morning drive time.  The other 2 can get moved sometime to the evening after the signal strength goes down and I can't pick WGR up.

504193[/snapback]

Thanks...so he's still there.

Schoop and the Bulldike (or whatever those jamokes are called) are just unlistenable. How dopes like this get radio jobs I'll never know. Riter can, ocassionaly, not suck out loud...but, in my experience, those times were rare. When I'd turn on the program and they were betting "Riter bucks"...well, it's time to change the channel.

So, I'm assuming the old AM drive guys are gone. Those guys stunk on ice (imagine what they must have smelled like at room temp). There was a guy...Puff or something?...MORON! I could feel the spittle come through the car speakers when he attempted to speak. Remided me of Billy Fucillo.

Everytime I go back to Buffalo I look forward to listening to the sports talk radio, WGR.  And every time, I am amazed at how bad it is...WNSA was mucho better!  I am not even sure I would listen to WGR if they broadcast online.  It is depressingly bad.....

502953[/snapback]

What!!! Andrew Roth PD of gr was on last week and said their ratings are up and they have picked up more listeners. The line up is set and will not change. Streaming might be in the near future. And gr, put down your drink, unlike what you think has a positive additude. Positively negative perhaps.

Thanks...so he's still there.

Schoop and the Bulldike (or whatever those jamokes are called) are just unlistenable.  How dopes like this get radio jobs I'll never know.  Riter can, ocassionaly, not suck out loud...but, in my experience, those times were rare.  When I'd turn on the program and they were betting "Riter bucks"...well, it's time to change the channel.

So, I'm assuming the old AM drive guys are gone.  Those guys stunk on ice (imagine what they must have smelled like at room temp).  There was a guy...Puff or something?...MORON!  I could feel the spittle come through the car speakers when he attempted to speak.  Remided me of Billy Fucillo.

504213[/snapback]

No data on what happened to the old morning guys, as they were too annoying to listen to more than 1-2 times / quarter.

Agree that Riter can be less than stellar, but he is much better than the pair that precedes him.

Meazza, where do you watch the games in Montreal?

When I have been in Montreal, Champs on St. Laurent has been very reliable for watching most any NFL game.

Who will win the Grey Cup?  BC is showing some cracks.

504079[/snapback]

Well I had Direct Tv but now I watch the games at Champs since it is about 20 minutes from my work (i' m stuck working on sundays until I graduate). I hate going to Champs since it is the home of Bandwagon nation , aka Pats fans galore, people who don't even know the rules go there and I have to hear them cheer while I go there and see the few bills fans who go. Besides that they show a lot of bills games on Toronto Global which is available on Bell Express Vu. I think i'll follow this SD vs Bills game on NFL.com from work since i think it will be absolutely brutal on us.

Go Bills