Becoming a contender in 2006

Mikie2times

QB- Find out if JP is the guy for next year, if so he’s the starter, and have Kelly playing back up. We should also use a late round pick in the draft to replace the aging Matthews, and serve as a solid #2 option when Kelly leaves.

RB- Draft a player that can play in a few games if Willis ever goes down. Shaud is a change up back, and decent receiver out of the backfield, but he just isn’t a player that can start for us and get 25 carries. I was hoping Gates could be that player, and he looked decent at times in the preseason but he has yet to record a carry this year. Other needs might force us to hold serve here.

WR- Cut Eric Moulds, and try and land Reggie Wayne as a FA. Eric Moulds costs over 10 million on the 2006 cap, no way does he see that money, and IMO 2005 was the last time the Bills will try and restructure him. It would be risky to go into 2006 with Lee unproven as a #1, and Roscoe still unproven as a #3 let alone a #2. Moulds isn’t affordable, and Wayne won’t be cheap either, but the combination of Wayne, Evans, and Parrish would give us some serious young talent at WR. With other needs we can’t afford to draft another WR early, so it’s not difficult to picture TD going after the only potential #1 in FA this year.

TE- Cambell is a solid blocking TE, and after drafting Everett last year we need to find out if he is going to give us that athletic TE before we pursue other options.

T-Peters at RT, and Gandy at LT is a combination I can live with. Both are affordable, and both should improve as Peters has virtually no experience and Gandy split time at G while in Chicago. I would also decide to part ways with Mike Williams. Williams isn’t as bad as he’s made out to be, but the cap situation is forcing either a renegotiation or a cut. I have argued before for a renegotation, but now I just don’t see it being in our best interests. A successful switch to G for Mike seems very unlikely, and he can’t stay healthy. With Jason Peters making pennies, not getting injured, and possessing potential at RT why would we want to sign Mike back to a deal that he would have to accept (don’t expect him to willingly take a 6 million dollar pay cut, or Ralph to shell out a huge signing bonus given the circumstances). I would finally like to see us spend our 2nd round pick, or additional 1st if we get that for Nate on one of the drafts talented LT’s.

G- CV is solid when healthy, and I don’t feel like it’s a pressing need to replace him. The same cant be said about LG, a position that really needs our attention. If TD wants to prove to everybody he is serious about upgrading this line we should make a run a Steve Hutchinson, one of the leagues best LG’s.

C- Out with Trey Teague in with the Duke. It’s pretty obvious the Bills intended on Duke replacing Teague when he becomes a FA next year, and I see no reason to think anything has changed given their two performances this season.

DE- Of course I would like to see an upgrade at DE like John Abraham but it won’t happen and probably shouldn’t given the rest of our priorities. Schobel signed an extension last season so you know he’s entrenched at RE. At LE Raheem Brock is available from the Colts, but his production would probably equal Kelsey’s anyway. Don’t expect the Bills to do any major upgrading at DE this off-season.

DT- This is probably the most difficult task for the 2006 season. Sam Adams can still be a good DT with that big cog next to him, but it appears like he might have outlasted his welcome with the Bills defensive staff. Many think Grey will go but I don’t see that happening, if he stays we still need to get that massive DT to eat up blockers as its obviously critical to this defense. Sam is massive but he can’t fill that role, but a player that could is Grady Jackson from GB. He’ll be 33 next year but in terms of FA DT’s he is the only real OL eating DT available. GB is playing decent run defense this year so Jackson could be an affordable solution for a couple years. I then think we should draft DT with our first rounder, the guy I like is Ngata from Oregon. He’s supposed to be the best interior pass rusher in the draft, really looks like he has a great future.

OLB- Crowell has to remain a starter next year, and if TKO returns that might mean Posey becomes a back up. It also probably wouldn’t hurt to look at an OLB in this years draft at some point. We just don’t know about Takeo’s health and with that factor involved it gives us little depth at OLB.

MLB- I don’t see the need to mess with this spot as an improved interior line should be enough to take care of any problems London’s been having.

CB- Franchise and trade Nate. He’s worth a ton to this team and I hate to see him go but we can’t shell out the money he will be getting. He will get us an additional #1, or at the very least a high #2, which I factored in earlier in getting a LT. To replace Nate we should probably look at FA as opposed to the draft. I like Jerry Azumah a starter from the Bears, or Will Allen of the Giants. King should then finish the unit off as our Nickel guy. I expect some drop off without Nate but I doubt a unit comprised of these players would be our downfall, and a more talented DL should make it much easier on our secondary.

FS- Our safeties make to much money, and while Vincent has made some picks at FS he isn’t a very consistent player. I say we make the move to Baker right now and see if we can possibly count on him next season. If not keep Vincent around until we have a viable replacement, either way I would like to look at FS with one of the 3rd rounders.

SS- Like FS I would like to get a little younger at SS, but with everything else we need to address Milloy isn’t a pressing issue. Perhaps we could match our 3rd round FS with a 3rd round SS, or later in the draft pick pick up a raw SS prospect. If we don’t address SS at all this year I fully expect the Bills to draft a SS in 2007.

K- Rian Lindell has had a great year up until today, let’s wait and see how he closes out the year before we say anything about his future status. If we do wan’t to switch kickers 3 of the best are available in Neil Rackers, Vinateri, and Vanderjacht.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh God help me, a Ohio State fan is posting. That must mean that they think they coined the phrase "Its 11:26 PM TEXAS TIME AND OU STILL SUCKS"

:rolleyes: <3 OSU fans

I've been thinking about doing a post like this for a while. I've just been too busy with my tough load of school work at a top 10 public university education AND sports AND party wise (who needs sleep?) to really make a post about this. <_<

QB- Find out if JP is the guy for next year, if so he’s the starter, and have Kelly playing back up. We should also use a late round pick in the draft to replace the aging Matthews, and serve as a solid #2 option when Kelly leaves.

I think JP has to be the guy next year. You draft a rookie to be #2, and move Kelly to #3. Sorry Kelly, you're old as sh-- and this is the best you've got. Here's an autographed helmet from the real (jim) Kelly, give it to your kids some day.

RB- Draft a player that can play in a few games if Willis ever goes down.  Shaud is a change up back, and decent receiver out of the backfield, but he just isn’t a player that can start for us and get 25 carries. I was hoping Gates could be that player, and he looked decent at times in the preseason but he has yet to record a carry this year. Other needs might force us to hold serve here.

This is what those extremely cheap free agents cause us to do. You know, teh type where they were 3rd string but by a freak accident looked decent. Sign em to 2nd string.

WR- Cut Eric Moulds, and try and land Reggie Wayne as a FA. Eric Moulds costs over 10 million on the 2006 cap, no way does he see that money, and IMO 2005 was the last time the Bills will try and restructure him.  It would be risky to go into 2006 with Lee unproven as a #1, and Roscoe still unproven as a #3 let alone a #2. Moulds isn’t affordable, and Wayne won’t be cheap either, but the combination of Wayne,  Evans, and Parrish would give us some serious young talent at WR.  With other needs we can’t afford to draft another WR early, so it’s not difficult to picture TD going after the only potential #1 in FA this year.

No way, Moulds costs us too much on the cap to cut. It'd be better to keep him another year and restructure his contract, down to a #2, and keep Reed as a #3. With the way Losman utilizes Reed, him as #3 would be scary, especially with a possession receiver (Sorry Moulds, thats what you're becomming) as a #2, and Evans as #1.

TE- Cambell is a solid blocking TE, and after drafting Everett last year we need to find out if he is going to give us that athletic TE before we pursue other options.

Campbell is "Good Enough". As long as you ahve someone who can consistently catch passes, which I believe Mark can, you're good to go.

T-Peters at RT, and Gandy at LT is a combination I can live with. Both are affordable, and both should improve as Peters has virtually no experience and Gandy split time at G while in Chicago. I would also decide to part ways with Mike Williams. Williams isn’t as bad as he’s made out to be, but the cap situation is forcing either a renegotiation or a cut.  I have argued before for a renegotation, but now I just don’t see it being in our best interests. A successful switch to G for Mike seems very unlikely, and he can’t stay healthy. With Jason Peters making pennies, not getting injured, and possessing potential at RT why would we want to sign Mike back to a deal that he would have to accept (don’t expect him to willingly take a 6 million dollar pay cut, or Ralph to shell out a huge signing bonus given the circumstances). I would finally like to see us spend our 2nd round pick, or additional 1st if we get that for Nate on one of the drafts talented LT’s.

I don't think that Gandy at LT is a good move to be honest. Gandy just isn't fast enough. Versus most average DE's he'll be fine, but you have to have an O-line that protects against the very best D-lines to win.

Mike Williams should be kept, if its at a renogiated cost. Move him to RG and keep him. You might not like him at G, but given our history of bringing in free agents, I'd like him a helluva lot more then what we' dprobably get.

Put Peters at RT, I think he could do fine there. The best part about Peters is he has athleticism. He can be a swift RT - something that should help against the swift LE's of the league. People put RE as their #1, but some of the LE's in the NFL can fool you with how good they are.

Sign a LT thats better then Gandy - or use Gandy at LT if you HAVE to. But first, upgrade center. Make at least one side of the line unstoppable. If you need to convert a 3rd and 1, run it to the right. 4th and 1, run it to the right.

This team is missing that part of the line… the part that you can run behind and KNOW you're gonna get a first down. Build that first - then fix the rest.

DE- Of course I would like to see an upgrade at DE like John Abraham but it won’t happen and probably shouldn’t given the rest of our priorities. Schobel signed an extension last season so you know he’s entrenched at RE.  At LE Raheem Brock is available from the Colts, but his production would probably equal Kelsey’s anyway. Don’t expect the Bills to do any major upgrading at DE this off-season.

Agreed, and I actually like the Bills DE a lot.

DT- This is probably the most difficult task for the 2006 season. Sam Adams can still be a good DT with that big cog next to him, but it appears like he might have outlasted his welcome with the Bills defensive staff. Many think Grey will go but I don’t see that happening, if he stays we still need to get that massive DT to eat up blockers as its obviously critical to this defense. Sam is massive but he can’t fill that role, but a player that could is Grady Jackson from GB. He’ll be 33 next year but in terms of FA DT’s he is the only real OL eating DT available. GB is playing decent run defense this year so Jackson could be an affordable solution for a couple years. I then think we should draft DT with our first rounder, the guy I like is Ngata from Oregon. He’s supposed to be the best interior pass rusher in the draft, really looks like he has a great future.

Nope, keep Adams. Have him be our NT and just eat up space.

OLB- Crowell has to remain a starter next year, and if TKO returns that might mean Posey becomes a back up.  It also probably wouldn’t hurt to look at an OLB in this years draft at some point. We just don’t know about Takeo’s health and with that factor involved it gives us little depth at OLB.

MLB- I don’t see the need to mess with this spot as an improved interior line should be enough to take care of any problems London’s been having.

3-4 baby, run that 4 LB defense! We have way too many players on D not to!

CB- Franchise and trade Nate. He’s worth a ton to this team and I hate to see him go but we can’t shell out the money he will be getting. He will get us an additional #1, or at the very least a high #2, which I factored in earlier in getting a LT. To replace Nate we should probably look at FA as opposed to the draft. I like Jerry Azumah a starter from the Bears, or Will Allen of the Giants. King should then finish the unit off as our Nickel guy. I expect some drop off without Nate but I doubt a unit comprised of these players would be our downfall, and a more talented DL should make it much easier on our secondary.

Cya Nate, I love you man but all I can say is, you just aint good enough for top 5 money like you want. Damn good corner, but gone the way of Winfield. I vote we use our first round pick, AGAIN (and I hate to say this) on a corner to backup McGee. Love ya King, but you aren’t anything more then a Nickle.

FS- Our safeties make to much money, and while Vincent has made some picks at FS he isn’t a very consistent player. I say we make the move to Baker right now and see if we can possibly count on him next season. If not keep Vincent around until we have a viable replacement, either way I would like to look at FS with one of the 3rd rounders.

SS- Like FS I would like to get a little younger at SS, but with everything else we need to address Milloy isn’t a pressing issue. Perhaps we could match our 3rd round FS with a 3rd round SS, or later in the draft pick raw SS prospect.  If we don’t address SS at all this year I fully expect the Bills to draft a SS in 2007.

I fully expect the Bills not to mess with Milloy or Vincent. One more year out of both of these guys gives us the best chance to win.

The worst part about Lindell is that Rian’s salary is one of the best in the league. Give that to a kicker that actually matters please.

Counting on Mike Williams to convert to G and play well is asking a lot. The guy's center of gravity is too high to play G, and even if he did why would he so graciously renegotiate? Also if he's playing RG how are we addressing the weakest part of the line at LG? Why dump CV and create another position of need? As for Gandy, I said I can live with his play at LT next year. I have us going after a LT early in the draft but a rookie LT usually doesn't play well, and Gandy could probably beat him out for at least one more season. Again why create a need when so many exist in the first place?

As for Adams what in the last two years leads you to believe he can be an OL eater at DT? The dude is a pure free lancer, and has gotten in the coaches dog house two straight seasons because he plays outside the system. Either get him a buddy at DT that can let him roam around, or cut him outright.

I've always been a fan of Moulds but he's become 5 million a year possession receiver that we continuously have to renegotiate. Regardless of his cap hit we need to part ways sooner or later, and I just see that time coming sooner rather then later.

3-4 baby, run that 4 LB defense! We have way too many players on D not to!

with the LB's we have and the crap way the DT's are playing I dont understand why we dont see a 3-4 D...im not a "tivo rewatcher of games and break them down like i was a coach" guy..not that theres anything wrong with u guys..lol...but anyways...do the bills ever play 3-4 D and if they do whats the outcome difference betwenn bills 4-3 and 3-4 D?

with the LB's we have and the crap way the DT's are playing I dont understand why we dont see a 3-4 D...im not a "tivo rewatcher of games and break them down like i was a coach" guy..not that theres anything wrong with u guys..lol...but anyways...do the bills ever play 3-4 D and if they do whats the outcome difference betwenn bills 4-3 and 3-4 D?

502354[/snapback]

We are not seeing a 3/4 because the roster is not bult for it.

I am in the minority that thinks that we are looking good at DE, but none of them are big guys as DEs go. This would not help in the 3/4.

Also, losing TKO would not lend itself to making this kind of switch.

Additionally, from what I gather, the very last thing that Adams wants to do is play Nose Tackle.

I am still taking everything in and enjoying the win, but one thing that bugged me was that Anderson looked horrible at DT; worse than Bannan.

In summary, we don't have a nose tackle to make the switch.

I have a feeling that McNally's goal now is to eventually put Peters in at LT. He would like to keep Mike Williams at RT, but Williams has to accept less money or he is gone. Gandy will eventually be playing Left Guard once Peters is moved to LT, but until then the LG postion is a problem. Mc Nally is obviously not happy with Anderson, but can not do anything about it since MW could not play the position yesterday. Preston is going to be a starter somewhere, either RG or C, I'm just not sure where yet.

Thinking this year it's going to end up being this.

Gandy

Anderson/Preston

Teague

Villereal/Preston

Peters

With next year being

Peters

Gandy

Preston

Villereal

Williams

But if Williams does not restructure, then I don't have the answer to that. I'm also not sure how Teague fits in next year, either. Perhaps if Williams doesnt take the pay cut, then it's

Peters

Preston

Teague

Villereal

Gandy

With next year being

Peters

Gandy

Preston

Villereal

Williams

But if Williams does not restructure, then I don't have the answer to that. I'm also not sure how Teague fits in next year, either.  Perhaps if Williams doesnt take the pay cut, then it's

Peters

Preston

Teague

Villereal

Gandy

502487[/snapback]

Your post indicates zero help from either free agency or the draft. Is this what you really expect (not that I blame you)?

Btw, TT will be a ufa.

We need to devote our Draft picks to the DT position ( at least 2 ) and OL. Enough of the so-called Offensive skill picks ( QB,WR,TE,RB ) . We have enough there already. If Moulds is a cap cut, sign a Vet UFA and move on. Evans is your primary deep threat, so find a solid hands guy. VeT WR's are a dime a dozen every spring.

OT,DT,DT,C/G on day one.. We need help in the trenches...not more options for gadget plays. :rolleyes:

Rackers recently signed a long term deal with Arizona

502356[/snapback]

Kicking in Hot Phoenix and Cold/Windy Buffalo are two different entities...

Rackers will have the same difficulty as Rian has with the tricky buffalo winds.

Your post indicates zero help from either free agency or the draft. Is this what you really expect (not that I blame you)?

Btw, TT will be a ufa.

502497[/snapback]

Well, I just don't want to comment on players that are not either on the team or in the NFL yet, that's all. I'd like to think that the coaching staff goes about it the same way, but you never know.

Rackers recently signed a long term deal with Arizona

502356[/snapback]

Good for him. He got unfairly cut in Cincy - that cow patch of a field in Paul Brown Stadium was a joke (Owner Brown had to maintain it - on the cheap - it was 2 inches of sod over a sand base. It's since been changed).

He also got boned by the law. He was in a restuarant here, and some clown MF'd him and his wife and he whacked the punk, but got charged.

Wayne will want big dollars! He is a product of the system in indi and benefits greatly from Harrison playing on the other side. Might turn into a Peerles when he is the "go to guy".

502524[/snapback]

I think at some point Lee Evans has to become the go-to-guy...that Moulds has been here for close to a decade... I would rather bring in a guy who can be

a good second guy that will not want the kind of money Wayne would want...

Remember cutting Moulds will still eat into our Cap..

His 10.8 Mil cap figure for 2006 cuts him. His ability isn't the primary issue.

502626[/snapback]

That was the point I was trying to convey in the original post. Of course I don't want to see Moulds leave, but his cap hit is unmanageable. JP looks like the future and thankfully for us JP's chemistry with Evans is outstanding. In many of the moves I projected the purpose was creating cap space for 2006 and 2007, and getting younger as a team.

We need to devote our Draft picks to the DT position ( at least 2 ) and OL. Enough of the so-called Offensive skill picks ( QB,WR,TE,RB ) . We have enough there already. If Moulds is a cap cut, sign a Vet UFA and move on. Evans is your primary deep threat, so find a solid hands guy. VeT WR's are a dime a dozen every spring.

OT,DT,DT,C/G on day one.. We need help in the trenches...not more options for gadget plays.  :blink:

502518[/snapback]

I agree with how we should spend the Picks, and wanted to add a day 1 Mock to the orginal post anyway so hear it goes.

Day 1

#1A- DT Haloti Ngata- Oregon

#1B- LT Marcus McNeill- Auburn

#2- FS Nate Sally- Ohio State

#3A- G Mark Setterstrom- Minnesota

#3B- OLB/SS- Terna Nande- Miami (Ohio)