Jackson: T.O. suspension 'much too severe'

Tux of Borg

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5077672

Associated Press

Posted: 33 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The Rev. Jesse Jackson called the Philadelphia Eagles' punishment of Terrell Owens "much too severe."

Jackson said in a statement released Friday that Owens could have been more professional when he publicly complained about his contract, his team and the Eagles' organization.

But Jackson said Owens' suspension without pay for four games and deactivation for the rest of the season is "much too severe for the charge" and hurts the athlete's NFL career at its height.

The civil rights activist said the level of punishment could have been warranted if Owens had been caught shaving points, selling drugs, carrying a gun or fighting fans without sufficient restraint.

"This does not warrant a one-year ban from the game," Jackson said, adding that the Eagles should release Owens to the open market or free agency if they no longer want to associate with him.

Ralph Nader, a consumer activist and former presidential candidate, has already called for the suspension to be rescinded.

Owens was suspended last week after he said in an interview that the Eagles showed "a lack of class" for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch, and that the team would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre as quarterback. He has since apologized.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5077672

Associated Press

Posted: 33 minutes ago   

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The Rev. Jesse Jackson called the Philadelphia Eagles' punishment of Terrell Owens "much too severe."

Jackson said in a statement released Friday that Owens could have been more professional when he publicly complained about his contract, his team and the Eagles' organization.

But Jackson said Owens' suspension without pay for four games and deactivation for the rest of the season is "much too severe for the charge" and hurts the athlete's NFL career at its height.

The civil rights activist said the level of punishment could have been warranted if Owens had been caught shaving points, selling drugs, carrying a gun or fighting fans without sufficient restraint.

"This does not warrant a one-year ban from the game," Jackson said, adding that the Eagles should release Owens to the open market or free agency if they no longer want to associate with him.

Ralph Nader, a consumer activist and former presidential candidate, has already called for the suspension to be rescinded.

Owens was suspended last week after he said in an interview that the Eagles showed "a lack of class" for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch, and that the team would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre as quarterback. He has since apologized.

500982[/snapback]

Ummm...it's not a "ban from the game". His employer has decided to suspend him with pay for his behavior in the workplace, and has also decided, again based on his behavior in the workplace, that he will play a much smaller role in their organization going forward.

THAT...is pretty !@#$ing generous of his employer. I've known people who've done far less than he did (executive managers, no less...people with real responsibility, unlike TO) who've been unceremoniously tossed out the door for it.

TO should get a break because...why? Because he's visible?

And somehow, in all his business and political dealings, I highly doubt the Reverend Jesse Jackson has kept people around in his organizations who as a matter of routine exhibited negative and abusive attitudes and disrupted the work place.

I certsinly agree that he penalty assessed against TO is far more severe than the penalties leveled by teams and the NFL against player transgressions of much greater severity in terms of the impacts on society, the team or other people.

However, though it may be unfair using those criteria, believe it or not life is not fair.

Overall, even if one can judge that there are "punishments" which will accomplish the primary need of the Eagles in this case which is to separate itself from this cancer of a player totally by simply cutting him now, this punishment would certainly be a gift to TO in that he would be able to garner a huge fiscal benefit from some desperate or competitive team right now on the free market.

The Eagles would actually do their team discipline and marketing harm if they simply cut TO right now and though by a particular measure this punishment is not fair, I simply say suck it up and get over it TO as you will simply just have to make do with receiving millions from the the Iggles this year for doing nothing and you will be able to operate in the free market next year.

Likely the $ you will receive on the free market will be lower next year than you would have gotten than if the Iggles simply cut you (and perhaps even lower than what you were due under your current contract with the Iggles but I doubt it) but this seems to be a product of bad marketing strategy and action on your part as your self-agrandizing and undisciplined speech will lower demand for you.

You have a right as an American to free speech without government restriction. However, this right does not insulate you from the market effects of that speech and you will simply have to sleep in the multi-million bed you made. Boo-hoo.

You have a right as an American to free speech without government restriction. However, this right does not insulate you from the market effects of that speech and you will simply have to sleep in the multi-million bed you made. Boo-hoo.

500994[/snapback]

You have the right to free speech, but that doesn't mean you are exempt from the repercussions of your words.

Is Owens' punishment too harsh, or has the punishment levied against other players for seemingly much worse transgressions too light? I dunno....all I can say is that I don't think I have ever disliked a player more than I do Owens, despite his clean record off the field. That said, I would like to see players who beat up their spouses punished much more severely.

Oh stfu already Rev! He'll probably try to make it a racist issue too.

Man and who the hell cares what Ralph Nader thinks anyway?

I am so sick of TO! ESPN's posterboy can go retire and leave the country. That station is the root of many of the problems. How come we never see a player like LaDainian Tomlinson covered like that? Oh wait. He's too good for that joke of a station!

TO can get his resume together and find employment elsewhere. He can get some job using the education he got at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. He just won't be able to work for a competitor of his old employer until February of 2006 due to a non-compete clause in his contract. That's pretty standard stuff in the business world.

Maybe Jackson can help him get a job at Neverland. That's a haven where little boys who don't want to grow up.