Some stats looking at our interior

Mikie2times

Football Outsiders is a site that tracks many unusual statistics for NFL teams. If you want to look at the information I used for this post check out the link, and click on Just the Stats link under the banner. Loads of great stuff that I’m sure many of you would enjoy.

We all know the problems on the run defense but I think these stats further illustrate what we already know, the interior is horrible. Here is the lowdown statistically on how bad the interior has become.

Power = Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. For defense the same format is used but it gets ranked in reverse order. So this stat shows the % of times we stuffed the offense last year in this situation.

2004- Offenses have a 42% success rate against our defense in POWER situations, 1st in the league

2005- Offenses have an 80% success rate against our defense in POWER situations, 30th in the league

It also shows the average gain offenses have running to each position of the defense, and ranks them across the league. The run areas are off Left End, Left Tackle, MID/Guard, Right Tackle, Right End. In 2004 our middle guard defense was 3rd in the league allowing 3.53 yards per carry. In 2005 our middle guard defense is ranked 27th allowing 4.53 yards per carry. Let me also add that it shows Buffalo’s opponents running at the Middle/Guard spot 68% of the time. The NFL average is 52%, and only the Colts at 70% get more action in the interior then Buffalo.

What we’ve been watching on the field is an obvious weakness we will be exploited at the rest of the season. How can you be a ball control team when your defense begs teams to beat you with a ball control style? Our interior has become swish cheese lately, and IMO is the number 1 priority this off-season.

Football Outsiders