The Religious Right fires back

finknottle

I'm not high-tech enough to find out how to get this linked online, but here's the opening of a piece in today's Washington Post:

Robertson Says Town Rejects God

by Alan Elener, Reuters

Conservative Christian television evangelist Pat Robertson told citizens of a Pennsylvania town that they had rejected God by voting their school board out of office for supporting "intelligent design" and warned them yesterday not to be surprised if disaster struck.

I certainly hope none of you get down on your luck, and dare to ask organizations like the Salvation Army for help. Stuff happens.

But when everyone of you 3 posters face your death, I'll bet you petition God for help and solace.

And you will get it.

It's easy to not believe...it's more difficult to eschew the pleasure of hedonism and put faith in something beyond.

Religious folks have much more moxie than you...

I certainly hope none of you get down on your luck, and dare to ask organizations like the Salvation Army for help. Stuff happens.

But when everyone of you 3 posters face your death, I'll bet you petition God for help and solace.

And you will get it.

It's easy to not believe...it's more difficult to eschew the pleasure of hedonism and put faith in something beyond.

502977[/snapback]

I don't really understand the leap from Robertson's fear-mongering to people turning to God in times of need and/or crisis. Robertson's a false prophet, a liar, and a crook.

According to the Bible, his earthly actions will not be received warmly upon his day of judgment.

And you will get it.

502977[/snapback]

I don't understand your anger. Are you agreeing that God may likely smite those who voted out the ID'ers?

Your comment seems to suggest God is mercifull, not vengefull. That appears to me to be the opposite of what Robertson is saying. Or are you suggesting that God may zap the town if only to teach them humility when he follows it with help and solice?

I don't understand your anger.  Are you agreeing that God may likely smite those who voted out the ID'ers?

Your comment seems to suggest God is mercifull,  not vengefull.  That appears to me to be the opposite of what Robertson is saying.  Or are you suggesting that God may zap the town if only to teach them humility when he follows it with help and solice?

502996[/snapback]

How in the world did you think I was angry?

Amazing...

I said nothing about intelligent design.

I did not speak for God.

I said nothing about God "zapping" anyone.

Why do you say so?

Re-read my post, Gussie...

And you will get it.

502977[/snapback]

:blink:

Amazing...

I said nothing about intellegent design.

I did not speak for God.

Why do you say so?

503011[/snapback]

Seriously, I'm trying to understand what you mean. You say that when we three are down on our luck we'll look to God for help and get it. How does that relate to Robertson saying Dover may be punished for their voting out the ID/creationists?

By singleing us out, we who (presumably) are not fans of Robertson's interpretation of God and politics, you are presumably agreeing with us or with Robertson. But your logic seems at odds with his (ie God as vengefull vs God as mercifull). Is that a complicated way of rejecting his views?

Seriously,  I'm trying to understand what you mean.  You say that when we three are down on our luck we'll look to God for help and get it.  How does that relate to Robertson saying Dover may be punished for their voting out the ID/creationists?

By singleing us out,  we who (presumably) are not fans of Robertson's interpretation of God and politics,  you are presumably agreeing with us or with Robertson.  But your logic seems at odds with his (ie God as vengefull vs God as mercifull).  Is that a complicated way of rejecting his views?

503023[/snapback]

From my years at church, God is both vengeful and merciful somehow.

Seriously,  I'm trying to understand what you mean.  You say that when we three are down on our luck we'll look to God for help and get it.  How does that relate to Robertson saying Dover may be punished for their voting out the ID/creationists?

By singleing us out,  we who (presumably) are not fans of Robertson's interpretation of God and politics,  you are presumably agreeing with us or with Robertson.  But your logic seems at odds with his (ie God as vengefull vs God as mercifull).  Is that a complicated way of rejecting his views?

503023[/snapback]

I did not mention Robertson.

Stop assuming!

Yes - when you are down on your luck, you will petition God. Your solace may be here, or after you perish. You are a decent chap; if I have any say, I will recommend you. :blink:

There is nothing I have or can say to move you either way. If you choose to look at the stars on a silent night, and think that it's all just an accumulation of goo, that's your free will.

Ah, free will - the refrain by many as to why misery exists, and where is God? Why does He allow this?

Free will - would one rather be cast in stone, a creature of instinct - like the animals?

Such words as we bandy about have been bandied about long before you or I walked this planet. Our debating will uncover no new ground.

I am a (retired) scientist. Chemist. I have learned a bunch about the intracicies of nature. And I see from that scientific, logical view, numerous anamolies that led my to my affirmation of faith and a guiding force. As well as the actions of loving people.

Do not reject out of hand. See what time and experience and observation and comtemplation brings to you.

Amazing...

I said nothing about intelligent design.

I did not speak for God.

Why do you say so?

503011[/snapback]

No, but you did criticize people as being athiests (a basic assumption behind the "deathbed conversion" statement) for believing, among other things, that Pat Robertson is nuts.

You actually sounded more looney than Debbie. And that's tough to do.

No, but you did criticize people as being athiests (a basic assumption behind the "deathbed conversion" statement) for believing, among other things, that Pat Robertson is nuts. 

You actually sounded more looney than Debbie.  And that's tough to do.

503207[/snapback]

That's what I get for Divining while Drinking. :lol:

And you will get it.

502977[/snapback]

I think I can believe in God and yet still think Pat Robertson is a dillweed for calling for the assassination of a foreign leader, blaming homosexuals for 9-11 and threatening Dover with divine apathy should disaster befall them because they decided to elect a new school board. I think that when I die, God is likely to welcome me to heaven because of my criticism of false prophets and messengers like Pat Robertson than in spite of it.

As for religious folks having more moxie, maybe during the time of Nero but not any more. If you want to see moxie, check out atheists in the bible belt, surrounded by people and a culture that can't seem to nail a good parking space at the mall without thanking God for it. Yeah, it takes a lot of guts to be religious in a land with churches on every corner. The re-casting of religious people, a supermajority, as some sort of embattled minority is comical.

And you will get it.

502977[/snapback]

I have always respected your posts, for a number of reasons too lengthy to get into here. However, the Salvation Army will help anybody they can that is "down on their luck" within whatever parameters they set. Their service to the poor, however, is done separately from the christian church (an offshoot of the Methodists) they run. This separate social service organization is set up so they can accept government dollars, foundation grants and revenues from other orgnizations like the United Way. I ahve worked with SA chapters on numerous occaisions, and even the people that run the chapters (they call them "officers") who are ordained ministers, will tell one part of their operations (social service) has NOTHING to do with the other (christian church). As it should be. Christians do not have any kind of monopoly on doing good deeds to others.

I have always respected your posts, for a number of reasons too lengthy to get into here.  However, the Salvation Army will help anybody they can that is "down on their luck" within whatever parameters they set.  Their service to the poor, however, is done separately from the christian church (an offshoot of the Methodists) they run.  This separate social service organization is set up so they can accept government dollars, foundation grants and revenues from other orgnizations like the United Way.  I ahve worked with SA chapters on numerous occaisions, and even the people that run the chapters (they call them "officers") who are ordained ministers, will tell one part of their operations (social service) has NOTHING to do with the other (christian church).  As it should be.  Christians do not have any kind of monopoly on doing good deeds to others.

503739[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the SA operations and have seen them offer a hand to evil and good folks alike. I hope I did not imply a negative towards them; if so, it was an error on my part for which I apologize.

And yes, there is no monopoly on goodness.

Thank you for your complimentary words.