Watching a good team play well...Colts

HelloNewman

After watching the Colts play so well Monday night it is quite depressing to see how terrible we have become.....when your QB is Kelly Holcomb you know it is not a good situation.

We have the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man in MW

Our line stinks

we cannot throw the deep ball

teams can run up the middle on us

our coach is not what I call high caliber-he is controllable just the way TD likes it

TD is a fair GM...not great...not awfull....mediocre

Losman is no where near ready to play in the NFL

Organization thinks they are better than they really are

Mediocre DE's

Mediocre DT with Fat Sam being benched lately

Old SS and FS that nobody is scared of

Clements gone next year

our LT is medicore at best

I watch the Colts and they are a well oiled machine this year....while the Bills are struggling to light each other's farts....*sigh*

Do you guys need a RT? If so, Victor Ril;ey from the texans might be worth a look. The Texans fans have complained about how much he sucked at LT for them, but I always thoughty he was a decent RT with us. Maybe he was just playing out of position, and would do better going back to the easier side? And, he could probably be had for cheap since the texans will probably be ready to ditch on him. He is an UFA I believe...

After watching the Colts play so well Monday night it is quite depressing to see how terrible we have become.....when your QB is Kelly Holcomb you know it is not a good situation. 

We have the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man in MW

Our line stinks

we cannot throw the deep ball

teams can run up the middle on us

our coach is not what I call high caliber-he is controllable just the way TD likes it

TD is a fair GM...not great...not awfull....mediocre

Losman is no where near ready to play in the NFL

Organization thinks they are better than they really are

Mediocre DE's

Mediocre DT with Fat Sam being benched lately

Old SS and FS that nobody is scared of

Clements gone next year

our LT is medicore at best

I watch the Colts and they are a well oiled machine this year....while the Bills are struggling to light each other's farts....*sigh*

499846[/snapback]

Its interesting that you offer the Colts as a contrast. If you wanted to site the biggest difference between these two teams it probably starts with the longevity of the relationship and play developed between Manning, Harrison and James.

2. the longevity and relationship developed by the OL with the quick release of Manning,

3. the building a performing ST unit helped by the skills of Vanderjagt and some good cut rate GM moves and acquisitions by Polian, and finally

4. them getting the best D HC in football to fill in the missing D problems and deal with it in a cut rate manner because of the cap weight of Manning/Harrison and James.

Overall this view would judge TD to be on the right track given how much time needed to achieve this level and they still have not appeared in an SB with this quality unit.

499846[/snapback]

I fall on the other side of it- I'd say this could be a very good football team from the personnel side if this off-season we add:

1) A top run stuffing DT, the kind that is available nearly every year in Free Agency on the cheap since they don't have the sack stats to attract the big bucks.

2) A quality #2 blocking TE- the kind available virtually every off-season in Free Agency on the cheap since they don't have the big reception numbers to attract the big bucks. That would presumably give us a 3TE rotation with a downfield trheat, a reliable receiver and the bodies to REALLY stack up well in the RZ.

3) An answer at LOG or a depth pickup in the first half of the draft if Preston finds himself in the starting lineup before this season ends.

4) A one gap DT in the draft within our first 3 picks.

5) A FB in the draft or FA if Goldsbery isn't showing on the PS that he's making a serious run at knocking Damien Shelton off our roster in 2006.

6) Another gem CB in the middle of the draft with starting potential.

7) A legitimate B/U for Lawyer Milloy.

Wasting picks on QBs simply because we don't have the other pieces in place is foolish. Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Tom Brady and Kurt Warner have won the recent Super Bowls; the talent level at QB on our roster isn't what's handicapping this offense.