No ANWR drilling (again)

SilverNRed

Link

WASHINGTON - A nearly two-decade effort to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling suffered a severe setback at the hands of moderate House Republicans just as Congress was about to deliver it to President Bush as his top energy priority.

GOP leaders scrapped the drilling plan in a search for just enough votes to pass another of Bush's priorities, a $51 billion deficit-reduction program cutting spending on food stamps, Medicaid, child support enforcement and other domestic programs through the rest of the decade. Also axed was another conservative priority, a plan allowing states to lift a moratorium on oil drilling off the Atlantic and Pacific Coasts.

Great job, "moderates." Another job.......not well done and basically not done at all.

Guess they didn't want to break up Congress' Dimaggio-like streak of getting absolutely nothing done.

But on the bright side, maybe this will force everyone in this country to stop resorting to oil as our first energy solution and start getting serious about alternative sources (wind, solar, organic, nuclear fission, research into nuclear fusion, etc...).

How does that popular TBD analogy go? "Something or other" is like rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic? Well, drilling for oil in Alaska is also like rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic (the Titanic, in this analogy, representing gas prices). The rising oil demand from India and China ALONE are going to make oil simply unaffordable in the coming years, no matter what we pump out in Alaska. The sooner we unanimously realize that, the better off our American economy and American lifestyles will be in the future.

Is there some kind of guarantee that any oil gotten from ANWR will have to be used in the U.S.? If not, it's not a solution to our impending energy crisis; it simply gives companies the right to drill there and then sell it to Japan, etc. like we do now.

I can see the points both sides make. I lean more toward the side where any production we will see isn't going to be for 10+ years. If alternative energies aren't fairly widely commercially available by then, then we really are pitiful and we'll deserve whatever happens (b/c much of the holdup will have been backroom politics).

AD, it's desolate b/c it's supposed to be desolate. That's what a (p)reserve is.

Is there some kind of guarantee that any oil gotten from ANWR will have to be used in the U.S.? If not, it's not a solution to our impending energy crisis; it simply gives companies the right to drill there and then sell it to Japan, etc. like we do now.

I can see the points both sides make. I lean more toward the side where any production we will see isn't going to be for 10+ years. If alternative energies aren't fairly widely commercially available by then, then we really are pitiful and we'll deserve whatever happens (b/c much of the holdup will have been backroom politics).

AD, it's desolate b/c it's supposed to be desolate. That's what a (p)reserve is.

500018[/snapback]

Let me know when you've been there or actually have a clue what you're talking about.

Drilling in ANWR isn't just about oil. It's also about countless trillions of tons of natural gas. The "pristine" garbage is just that. ANWR is lifeless 10 months of the year. There are a ton of rules in place to protect the environment (including no building of roads until the temperature reaches -20 F. The caribou herd in Prudhoe has thrived ever since they began drilling, a fact the greenies always gloss over.

ANWR is the size of South Carolina. The drilling base would be about the size of an average US airport. I'd be a hell of alot more pissed off about Elk Hills, but for some reason the media doesn't talk too much about that - probably because the Democrats got it opened up.

There's still moderates in this country?  I thought the radical wings of the parties drove them to extinction...

499802[/snapback]

Nope. People are still pretty much as moderate as ever.

Its the parties that are making them radical that are driving the idea to extinction.

So basically we went through all that sh--, stress, arguiing, contemplating and everything else with ANWR and it wound up going nowhere.

I [heart] the government.

502268[/snapback]

Good.

Drilling the ANWR to shave a few dimes off the price of gas short-term is stupid. Storing the oil for when we really need it...say, when oil actually becomes difficult to get, not just a little pricey...is a better idea. And where better to store it than in the ground, undrilled? Tapping ANWR is premature.

Good.

Drilling the ANWR to shave a few dimes off the price of gas short-term is stupid.  Storing the oil for when we really need it...say, when oil actually becomes difficult to get, not just a little pricey...is a better idea.  And where better to store it than in the ground, undrilled?  Tapping ANWR is premature.

502288[/snapback]

Hmm, a plan that makes sense. Lets take a look at the Democratic and Republican responses to this plan:

Democartic: But... but... if we save it for later then we're just going to hurt the Environment more when we finally drill.

Republican: But now we can drill it and make those damn oil prices go down. I'll be damned if the price of my cookies goes up.