Salute to our Veterans

BB27

Seeing as I will not be working tomorrow, and I usually don't come on here unless I'm at work, I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to all the Men and Women of the United States Armed Forces who are serving or have served. I really want to thank those members that have volunteered to be in harms way defending our and others freedom.

I wish the kids didn't get Veterens day off....I'd like to have schools bring in veterens and let them talk about their "adventures".....bring in some WWII vets, Vietnam and Korea....tell the kids what war was realy like....half the kids don't even understand Veterens day except its a day off of school.....

I also think the only people who should have the day off are Veterens.... not regular yahoo's

Seeing as I will not be working tomorrow, and I usually don't come on here unless I'm at work, I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to all the Men and Women of the United States Armed Forces who are serving or have served.  I really want to thank those members that have volunteered to be in harms way defending our and others freedom.

499728[/snapback]

I'll be happily working.... :wacko:

And you were there.

499749[/snapback]

Grandfather and Uncle were. My Uncle Floyd got gassed in France - I don't know exactly where...he was pretty old when the subject came into discussion, and I was a lad with not much understanding of things adult.

He said it was mustard gas, and had some skin attack pretty much all over - wet trench.

But they had the rubberized canvas gas masks then, so he ended up having no lingering

physical effects.

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month

I'm impressed. I don't think they even teach that in schools here any more.

My kids didn't learn it.

We were very aware of it growing up in Oz. At 11am the whole darned country would stop and face the East for two minutes of silence. Even buses, trains cars etc. Everyone, everywhere. I'm sure that's all changed now. But they still do it in schools and all government buildings.

I'm impressed.  I don't think they even teach that in schools here any more.

My kids didn't learn it.

We were very aware of it growing up in Oz. At 11am the whole darned country would stop and face the East for two minutes of silence. Even buses, trains cars etc. Everyone, everywhere.  I'm sure that's all changed now.  But they still do it in schools and all government buildings.

499828[/snapback]

Well, you did have Galipoli.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE SERVED!

this is a bit long, but well worth the read:

They gave so we may be free | By Captain Mattew Kutilek, USMC

I thank the Lord that I am here on American soil on this 4th of July, for the first time since 2002.

For the past three years God has blessed me beyond measure, allowing me to lead not one but two platoons of young Marines into combat in Iraq, most recently a platoon of 40 fearless, battle-hardened Marines with an average age of 21 from Weapons Company, 3rd Platoon, 1st Battalion/8th Marines.

I witnessed these 40 young men endure days, weeks and months of 110-plus degree heat, countless sleepless nights, dozens of firefights, hours of highway security at all times of the day and night, multiple IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices), mortar and rocket attacks. And most significantly, 30 days of intense urban combat during the Battle for Fallujah last November.

In the short time I have, I will introduce you to a few of the Marines from 1st Battalion/8th Marines who fought for you during the Battle for Fallujah.

Twenty-six-year-old Dan Malcom from Georgia was one of my classmates at The Citadel (Charleston, South Carolina) whom I knew since 1997. On the morning of 10 November, Alpha Company pushed to the very center of Fallujah taking over what is known as the mayor’s compound. Surrounded by dozens of snipers and other terrorists, Alpha Company needed support so Weapons Company, 3rd Platoon answered the call, reinforcing them with our big guns, missiles and rockets. After arriving I spoke to the company commander as well as with Dan, assessing the situation. Two hours later at the same location where I spoke with Dan, the sniper’s bullet that I hold in my hand went through Dan’s back and severed a main artery, killing him in five seconds.

A life given so that we may enjoy freedom and liberty and so human beings across the globe may have the opportunity to experience the freedoms we enjoy.

Twenty-two-year-old Gentian Marku, an Albanian citizen whom I knew for three years, immigrated to America with his family in the mid-1990s. He wanted to give something back to this great country before he did anything else. So at the age of 17, he chose the highest military calling and joined the Marine Corps. He joined to defend this nation and her ideals even though he did not have the honor and right to call himself an American citizen.

I will never forget helping unload Corporal Marku’s lifeless body from an amtrack last November. Corporal Marku died a slow and painful death in a small courtyard in Fallujah, after being shot dozens of times and receiving deadly burns over his upper body. Corporal Marku breathed his last breath in defense of freedom on 25 November, 2004, while many of you sat down for Thanksgiving dinner.

Finally, there are two people whom I especially want you to hear about, two of my men, men whom I saw first-hand define the maxims of duty, courage and sacrifice.

Nineteen-year-old Lance Corporal Paul Volpe from New Jersey was typical for a Marine in my platoon — young, determined and fearless.

On the second day of the Battle of Fallujah, during a time of intense combat, I along with my men volunteered to move to the heart of the city to extract critically injured Marines.

During our trips into the city the enemy fire from machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades was simply amazing, intense and accurate. On one occasion Paul Volpe, following my orders, moved down a street to secure a house where a critically injured Army Special Forces Soldier was located. While moving across an open courtyard Paul was shot not once or twice but four times. Although I was only 200 meters away I heard the call that I never wanted to hear and never want to hear again: “Man down! Man down!“

I was not at the scene right when he was shot but that is okay, because there were a couple of other Marines there including 29-year-old Staff Sergeant Stephen Davis, my third in command. When he saw one of his Marines go down, this staff sergeant, with complete disregard for self, ran across that open courtyard under a barrage of gunfire in an attempt to drag Paul’s severely wounded body to the safety of a nearby Humvee.

The enemy fire increased greatly as he ran to retrieve his Marine. As he began to drag the Marine across the 35 meters, Staff Sergeant Davis was shot in the hand, splitting it in two. Losing the complete use of one hand and no longer able to drag the Marine any further, Staff Sergeant Davis did what few human beings would do — he laid down on top of the bloody body of Paul Volpe and covered Paul’s body with his own, ready to accept certain death so Paul might live.

With decisive action and overwhelming firepower, we were able to kill the insurgents and drag Paul to safety.

I and two other Marines loaded Paul Volpe’s body in the Humvee; I will never forget how pale and bloody he was. Up until that time I did not think a human being could bleed so much so fast. In the 10 minutes it took to extract out of the city and make our way back to the rear aid station, Paul Volpe came within a minute of dying.

As I ran into the medical tent where both the Staff Sergeant and Lance Corporal were taken, tears almost came to my eyes as I saw two young men, two of my men, two U. S. Marines who fought to protect freedom and liberty, severely wounded and lying on stretchers with Navy doctors feverishly working on them.

I grabbed Paul’s foot and prayed that God might do two things: 1) heal him; and 2) miraculously alert people back home that two of my men were critically injured.

After praying I moved to the head of the stretcher and spoke with Paul and assisted in his care as needed. Is Paul screaming in pain? No. Complaining, wishing he were home? No. Instead this 19-year-old Marine calmly looks at me, his platoon commander, right in the eyes and says something I will never forget — “Sir, did I let you down? Sir, did I let you down?” What an amazing question coming from a 19-year-old Marine so near to death!

I can say with certainty that God did answer my two prayers. I stand here today praising God that just last week I was able to eat lunch with Paul. Although he has lost a great amount of weight and lives in pain, he is alive and recovering, and Staff Sergeant Davis, minus a finger or two, is as good as ever.

We as Americans have an obligation to think about these young men and women who fight and die for us so that we may enjoy the freedoms we have today.

And without question we as Christians have an obligation to pray for these young men who are fighting overseas right now. I am standing here today as a testament that prayer works.

You see, I am convinced that the reason that I am standing here today and the reason that every one of my 40 Marines made it back alive is because prayer works. I am convinced that the reason an enemy grenade that landed at my feet on 19 November did not go off was because of prayer. I am convinced the reason why five IEDs which hit my platoon during the three weeks after Christmas last year resulting in no casualties was because of people back home praying for us.

I thank God I have a Christian wife who prayed daily during the 16 months I was gone. I thank God that my mom woke up many times during the night the past three years and asked God to send angels to protect me and my men. And for my dad and his many pastor friends who prayed for us even though many have never met me or any of my Marines.

Tomorrow when we celebrate our country’s independence, I ask you to do three things.

1. Pull out the Declaration of Independence and read it to your family and friends. Explain to your family and your kids what it means and why it is important.

2. Take a minute to think about and ponder the thousands of Americans who have given their last full measure of devotion so that we may enjoy the freedom we have.

3. Pray for those serving in Iraq, Afghanistan and around the globe. I can assure you they have no day off, they will not eat homemade ice cream, but I can guarantee you that they would appreciate you going to the throne of grace on their behalf.

In closing let us consider some remarks given by our greatest President, who spoke these words on a cool, overcast day in a small Pennsylvania town for the dedication of a cemetery:

“That we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”

I wish the kids didn't get Veterens day off....I'd like to have schools bring in veterens and let them talk about their "adventures".....bring in some WWII vets, Vietnam and Korea....tell the kids what war was realy like....half the kids don't even understand Veterens day except its a day off of school..... 

I also think the only people who should have the day off are Veterens.... not regular yahoo's

499773[/snapback]

Unless it is your birthday, of which mine is tomorrow. :wacko: I'll be giving some respect throughout the day.

499773[/snapback]

Like the antiwar crowd would ever let that happen. Probably encourage them to skip class and hold a protest outside of school.

499773[/snapback]

Excellent post

2 million americans fought in world war I, today, eight, yes eight receive disability benefits. Estimates range from only 12-50 WWI vets remain alive. It's unbelievable what time can do to a group of people.

eight... Wonder if any of those eight would be willing to speak to kayne west, TO, or alec baldwin?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/11/vanishing...s.ap/index.html