Check your gun at the door when entering San Fran.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't that be settled by the courts?  Not a single handgun in SF will ever be collected (in the near future) because there will undoubtedly be an injunction filed while it is being fought in the courts. 

How was this handled in DC and Chicago?  Up until today, I had no idea there were bans in those cities.

Edit:  I'm actually looking forward to the shot of the NRA lawyers walking hand-in-hand up the courthouse steps with the lawyers from the ACLU.

499766[/snapback]

Not going to happen. The ACLU doesn't support the 2nd Amendment as an individual right. Big surprise there.

One only had to watch what went on in New Orleans post Katrina to understand how important the right to protect oneself is.

Criminals will always have guns. Police can not protect you, nor are they legally bound to. They will draw a sweet chalk line around your carcass, though.

I think, though, that if one were to investigate what "well-regulated militia" meant in the context of the time, the phrase does imply individual right to gun ownership (assuming that militia members were expected to provide their own arms at the time - which I believe was the case, but I'm by no means certain.)  At the very least, it's a powerful argument in favor of deciding whether the phrase "well regulated militia" is valid in today's context.

499667[/snapback]

I posted a long diatribe about this several times in the past. If I can dig it up, I will post it again. It describes how the Second Amendment is an individual right. Each person of the militia was responsible for providing their own weapons. Also, the militia was not an organized army. It was, at the time, any white male landowner over the age of 17.

The current administration holds that gun ownership is an individual right. The Ninth Circus thinks it is a collective right. Any case in front of the ninth circus will hold that it is a collective right and I see no way that they will overturn the SF ban. It would not be until it reaches the SC before it would have a shot at being overturned (that is assuming the SC actually has the guts to hear a Second Amendment case and I doubt it).