V-22 Osprey

Marine pilots are fastening headbands and sealing locks of hair in envelopes as we speak.

497824[/snapback]

And Defense News yesterday had an article on the Army's plans to acquire a four-rotor design to carry the FCS...to replace the C-130, even though the FCS spec no longer requires that air transportability.

Yeah, that's going to work well. No asymmetrical thrust problems there, I'll bet. :devil: FCS is a program badly in need of cancellation.

Marine pilots are fastening headbands and sealing locks of hair in envelopes as we speak.

497824[/snapback]

And why don't you talk to some of the rotor head pilot in the Corps as well as some of the senior boots on the ground before you make that statement. This has been a needed piece of equipment in the field for years. Yes it has had problems, a lot of it political, but if they spent as much money fixing the damn thing as they have justifying this thing would have been supporting the MEUs long ago.

And why don't you talk to some of the rotor head pilot in the Corps as well as some of the senior boots on the ground before you make that statement.  This has been a needed piece of equipment in the field for years.  Yes it has had problems, a lot of it political, but if they spent as much money fixing the damn thing as they have justifying this thing would have been supporting the MEUs long ago.

497913[/snapback]

I work in an office with a couple marine corps pilots. One of them sits just across from me.

I work in an office with a couple marine corps pilots. One of them sits just across from me.

497961[/snapback]

F18 jockey or rotor head? If rotor head, what does he think? I know guys on the ground who will have to be chauffered around who want these yesterday.

F18 jockey or rotor head?  If rotor head, what does he think?  I know guys on the ground who will have to be chauffered around who want these yesterday.

497968[/snapback]

F-18. What rotor folks here we have are Navy. Only AF pilot type we have is a former F-15 engineering test pilot. Most everyone else comes from a missile or artillery backfround, or SF.

And why don't you talk to some of the rotor head pilot in the Corps as well as some of the senior boots on the ground before you make that statement.  This has been a needed piece of equipment in the field for years.  Yes it has had problems, a lot of it political, but if they spent as much money fixing the damn thing as they have justifying this thing would have been supporting the MEUs long ago.

497913[/snapback]

The capability of the V-22 has been needed by the Corps for a while (as evidenced by the copious number of CH-46s they're using in Iraq right now). The actual piece of equipment that is the V-22...well, that's still open to debate. The Osprey still has, and will continue to have unavoidably, technical issues that may make it ultimately unsuitable as a transport system.

At least, that's according to the rotor-heads I've talked to... :devil:

The capability of the V-22 has been needed by the Corps for a while (as evidenced by the copious number of CH-46s they're using in Iraq right now).  The actual piece of equipment that is the V-22...well, that's still open to debate.  The Osprey still has, and will continue to have unavoidably, technical issues that may make it ultimately unsuitable as a transport system. 

At least, that's according to the rotor-heads I've talked to...  :devil:

498083[/snapback]

It kicks up a lot of dust upon landing. To mechanical detriment.

It kicks up a lot of dust upon landing. To mechanical detriment.

498131[/snapback]

Worse...powerful engines with very large props/rotors set widely apart. In case of engine failure, even a partial one, you've got bad asymmetric thrust problems and a very large torque issue that the flight controls can't overcome. Basically, resulting in some very fancy gyrations leading to an inadvertent intersection of flight path and terrain.

I wonder how the beast is in unpowered flight. Probably glides like a brick.

Worse...powerful engines with very large props/rotors set widely apart.  In case of engine failure, even a partial one, you've got bad asymmetric thrust problems and a very large torque issue that the flight controls can't overcome.  Basically, resulting in some very fancy gyrations leading to an inadvertent intersection of flight path and terrain. 

I wonder how the beast is in unpowered flight.  Probably glides like a brick.

498327[/snapback]

You paint a vivid picture... :D