I know its Old

plenzmd1

Okay, from Kings column today.

Pittsburgh (5-2). The Steelers are so smart. With 6:50 left in the game, they were nursing a 13-10 lead and driving for an insurance touchdown. Duce Staley ran around right end and instead or running out of bounds at the Packers' 2-yard line, he dove to stay inbounds and keep the clock running? That's 30 seconds less for the Packers to rebound after Pittsburgh scored.

Can you really be a national columnist who whos only responsbility is the NFL, and not know the rules. Does he not understand that with more than 5 minutes left in the game the clock starts again as soon as the ball is spotted. Oh, I know, thats only been the rule for like the last 7 years, why even I can understand why he wouldn't be aware of it.

Pittsburgh (5-2). The Steelers are so smart. With 6:50 left in the game, they were nursing a 13-10 lead and driving for an insurance touchdown. Duce Staley ran around right end and instead or running out of bounds at the Packers' 2-yard line, he dove to stay inbounds and keep the clock running? That's 30 seconds less for the Packers to rebound after Pittsburgh scored.

Can you really be a national columnist who whos only responsbility is the NFL, and not know the rules. Does he not understand that with more than 5 minutes left in the game the clock starts again as soon as the ball is spotted. Oh, I know, thats only been the rule for like the last 7 years, why even I can understand why he wouldn't be aware of it.

496783[/snapback]

There's no business like show business.

Announcers/Writers who cover the NFL for a living should never make mistakes. They do it all of the time. I never understood how you can get paid to cover a game yet not know all of the rules. I know my profession inside and out and I don't write papers or telll people about my job. Maybe I should do their job and my job.

So if he runs out of bounds, the clock stops but restarts on the reset? But if he stays in bounds, the clock still runs? Is that correct? I'm not expert, I only post on these boards!

If so, Kings assessment seems legit then, that Staley was smart to stay in bounds to keep the clock running since it doesn't stop on a tackle inbounds, rather than run out of bounds and allow it to stop, no matter how long it stops for. Therefore, even though it would be restarted upon reset of the ball, that would save time for the Packers.

So if he runs out of bounds, the clock stops but restarts on the reset? But if he stays in bounds, the clock still runs? Is that correct? I'm not expert, I only post on these boards!

If so, Kings assessment seems legit then, that Staley was smart to stay in bounds to keep the clock running since it doesn't stop on a tackle inbounds, rather than run out of bounds and allow it to stop, no matter how long it stops for. Therefore, even though it would be restarted upon reset of the ball, that would save time for the Packers.

496889[/snapback]

Except that the difference in time wouldn't be 30 secs, but maybe 10-15 secs.

496889[/snapback]

I agree that the clock stops. However, they get that sucker spotted pretty quick now a days, with the emphasis on 3 hr games. His implication was that in that situation, better to stay in bounds than try for extra yards , and I wholehearltly disagree.

496783[/snapback]

Where'd he find the time to cover football between his coffee reviews and field hockey coverage? :doh: