End to major operations in Iraq

todd

Not that comparing the aftermath of a world war involving millions of troops in Europe ca. 1945 with what is going on in Iraq in 2005 involving 150,000 of our troops makes any sense whatsoever.

Yeah, there is that...

Its like trying to convince a flesh eating zombie to try a salad once in awhile. 

498537[/snapback]

An analogy worthy of Darin. :D

And one thing no one ever seems to mention in regards to the military casualties is that they're running at an attrition rate of about 2-3% per annum...which by most measures is pretty damned good, actually.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An analogy worthy of Darin. laugh.gif

My comparison is still an excellent one. No matter what the body count comparison is, which is not the point I was making. But… go ahead and twist my statements to your liking.

It really does not matter what I have to say you’ll always disagree; it’s just a meaningless game for you to pass the time away. Lets face it if we really wanted to change things we would use any down time we have doing things to shape our state and local government instead of trying to impress each other by posting meaningless babble in circle jerk fashion

Circle jerk

My comparison is still an excellent one.  No matter what the body count comparison is, which is not the point I was making.  But… go ahead and twist my statements to your liking.   

It really does not matter what I have to say you’ll always disagree; it’s just a meaningless game for you to pass the time away.  Lets face it if we really wanted to change things we would use any down time we have doing things to shape our state and local government instead of trying to impress each other by posting meaningless babble  in circle jerk fashion

Circle jerk

498613[/snapback]

What point are you making then? If it is that there have been other conflicts with hostilities continuing after the coflict was supposedly over, it was a waste of time. I don't think anyone would disagree with that at all but that isn't really a relevant observation. That is why the numbers are important.

A post conflict insurgency that is ineffective so that it results in relatively few casualties and has no impact on political developments and the daily lives of the people in the region is not something that would generate any concern. However, a post conflict insurgency that results in lots of civilian and military casualties; that inhibts political, economic and social development; that prolongs indefinitely the painful costs of conflict upon civilians in the region and the occupying power that wants dearly to stop being an occupying power is quite a different thing.

I don't know what point you were seeking to make. It seemed to me that you were trying to say that there was a post conflict insurgency after world war two and that was a good war that was competently directed so that even though there is a post conflict insuregency in Iraq doesn't mean that this war was a mistake or that it has been incompetently run. We just don't think that is a valid analogy.

On top of that, I have seen this tack taken often with regards to Iraq. Awhile back I think Rummy and Rice were using it. It was pretty quickly abandoned once research on the issue started popping up showing that that comparison was of the apples and oranges variety. The administration stopped using it as far as I know. However, conservative blogs still throw it around and it occasionally rears its head again such as in the case of your post. Be honest, is that something you remember from a history class or something as opposed to having heard it used by others in defense of the administration and the state of things in Iraq? Really, you never heard this argument made before?

My comparison is still an excellent one.  No matter what the body count comparison is, which is not the point I was making.  But… go ahead and twist my statements to your liking.   

It really does not matter what I have to say you’ll always disagree; it’s just a meaningless game for you to pass the time away.  Lets face it if we really wanted to change things we would use any down time we have doing things to shape our state and local government instead of trying to impress each other by posting meaningless babble  in circle jerk fashion

Circle jerk

498613[/snapback]

It would be even better if it wasn't based in fiction. Your comparison's akin to comparing shoplifting a candy bar from the local CVS with the looting in New Orleans.

Are you really going to make me write? The terrorist guerillas are following the way of the Nazi Werewolf, with the main differences being number of guerilla and the longer time it will take to end it’s activities because of the media and porous borders.

1) Both the Werewolves and Iraqi guerillas (IG) have successfully used fear to their advantage. Both have killed compliant citizens and both have killed new government officials. Yes the IG has a higher body count but their tactics are no more effective then were the werewolves. More and more new Iraqi troops are being trained each day. The political process is continuing. New leaders, new constitution and the IG have not been able to do a thing to stop it.

2) Both have sought to manipulate the American and international press. We know how the liberal media is portraying the war. Many articles in the New York Times predicted doom and gloom for Germany in 1945. The Werewolf’s dropped propaganda leaflets and carried out similar bombings. The jury is still out on whether the IG media manipulation will be effective or not, they are getting a lot of help from the liberals stateside. The IG are not bombing to reduce the numbers of US troops they are bombing to weaken US resolve back home. This is manipulation of media in its purist form. Also, the liberals want a Democrat president and house and see this as a good club right or wrong.

3) Both in the beginning have twisted and used the peoples desire not to be “occupied” to they advantage. When the people rejected them and no longer believed in their lies and started to engage the reconstruction in Germany and the political process in Iraq (Sunni involvement in political process was a big step), both the werewolves and Iraqi Guerillas turned on their own people but this had very little impact on the progress. This was the end of the werewolves at this point. Will continued political progress be the end of the Iraqi terrorists; I don’t know they are still able to effectively manipulate the American media, which may keep them around for much longer then the werewolves.

Are you really going to make me write?  The terrorist guerillas are following the way of the Nazi Werewolf, with the main differences being number of guerilla and the longer time it will take to end it’s activities because of the media and porous borders.

1) Both the Werewolves and Iraqi guerillas (IG) have successfully used fear to their advantage.  Both have killed compliant citizens and both have killed new government officials.  Yes the IG has a higher body count but their tactics are no more effective then were the werewolves.  More and more new Iraqi troops are being trained each day. The political process is continuing.  New leaders, new constitution and the IG have not been able to do a thing to stop it.

2) Both have sought to manipulate the American and international press.  We know how the liberal media is portraying the war.  Many articles in the New York Times predicted doom and gloom for Germany in 1945.  The Werewolf’s dropped propaganda leaflets and carried out similar bombings.  The jury is still out on whether the IG media manipulation will be effective or not, they are getting a lot of help from the liberals stateside. The IG are not bombing to reduce the numbers of US troops they are bombing to weaken US resolve back home. This is manipulation of media in its purist form. Also, the liberals want a Democrat president and house and see this as a good club right or wrong.

3) Both in the beginning have twisted and used the peoples desire not to be “occupied” to they advantage.  When the people rejected them and no longer believed in their lies and started to engage the reconstruction in Germany and the political process in Iraq (Sunni involvement in political process was a big step), both the werewolves and Iraqi Guerillas turned on their own people but this had very little impact on the progress.  This was the end of the werewolves at this point.  Will continued political progress be the end of the Iraqi terrorists; I don’t know they are still able to effectively manipulate the American media, which may keep them around for much longer then the werewolves.

498962[/snapback]

For goodness sakes, have a salad already.

Are you really going to make me write?  The terrorist guerillas are following the way of the Nazi Werewolf, with the main differences being number of guerilla and the longer time it will take to end it’s activities because of the media and porous borders.

1) Both the Werewolves and Iraqi guerillas (IG) have successfully used fear to their advantage.  Both have killed compliant citizens and both have killed new government officials.  Yes the IG has a higher body count but their tactics are no more effective then were the werewolves.  More and more new Iraqi troops are being trained each day. The political process is continuing.  New leaders, new constitution and the IG have not been able to do a thing to stop it.

2) Both have sought to manipulate the American and international press.  We know how the liberal media is portraying the war.  Many articles in the New York Times predicted doom and gloom for Germany in 1945.  The Werewolf’s dropped propaganda leaflets and carried out similar bombings.  The jury is still out on whether the IG media manipulation will be effective or not, they are getting a lot of help from the liberals stateside. The IG are not bombing to reduce the numbers of US troops they are bombing to weaken US resolve back home. This is manipulation of media in its purist form. Also, the liberals want a Democrat president and house and see this as a good club right or wrong.

3) Both in the beginning have twisted and used the peoples desire not to be “occupied” to they advantage.  When the people rejected them and no longer believed in their lies and started to engage the reconstruction in Germany and the political process in Iraq (Sunni involvement in political process was a big step), both the werewolves and Iraqi Guerillas turned on their own people but this had very little impact on the progress.  This was the end of the werewolves at this point.  Will continued political progress be the end of the Iraqi terrorists; I don’t know they are still able to effectively manipulate the American media, which may keep them around for much longer then the werewolves.

498962[/snapback]

:):lol::lol::huh:

498962[/snapback]

Spot on, Newbie.

The same tactics have been used somewhat unsuccessfully by the Aboriginal "Killer Kangaroos" (also known as the Abaroos, the AKK, and the Killer Roos) in their quest for independence from the oppressive left-leaning non-native Australian government that currently holds power down under. The AKK cause has been mostly funded by the ultra-liberal Outback Steakhouse and Bugaboo Creek restaurant chains, and a line of sporting goods stores fronted by someone named "Dick". Their insidious manipulation of the American media through programming on the Animal Planet channel has been well documented.

Unfortunately, the AKK reign of "terror" has been roundly ignored by the Australian government, and largly defined by inter-tribal squabbles and outright confusion arising from their many dialects, which to date has only managed to eliminate thier own members. There has been a recent surge in AKK violence mostly centered around gang activity in the city of Sydney by young hoodlums going by the moniker "The Killa Kroo", but no one can take them seriously because they are short and look foolish covered in dried mud.

Spot on, Newbie.

The same tactics have been used somewhat unsuccessfully by the Aboriginal "Killer Kangaroos" (also known as the Abaroos, the AKK, and the Killer Roos) in their quest for independence from the oppressive left-leaning non-native Australian government that currently holds power down under.  The AKK cause has been mostly funded by the ultra-liberal Outback Steakhouse and Bugaboo Creek restaurant chains, and a line of sporting goods stores fronted by someone named "Dick".  Their insidious manipulation of the American media through programming on the Animal Planet channel has been well documented.

Unfortunately, the AKK reign of "terror" has been roundly ignored by the Australian government, and largly defined by inter-tribal squabbles and outright confusion arising from their many dialects, which to date has only managed to eliminate thier own members. There has been a recent surge in AKK violence mostly centered around gang activity in the city of Sydney by young hoodlums going by the moniker "The Killa Kroo", but no one can take them seriously because they are short and look foolish covered in dried mud.

499028[/snapback]

You know what's scarier then your sense of humor, the fact that some here on this board actually might find it funny

"The World According To Newbie".  Telling it like it is, if it were like it wasn't, but it weren't, so you don't.  :huh:

499153[/snapback]

That’s right, can’t debate me on the issues so just resort to name calling, that’s what you do best, Tommy boy.

That’s right, can’t debate me on the issues so just resort to name calling, that’s what you do best, Tommy boy.

499185[/snapback]

I can't debate you because you don't know what you're talking about! I've forgotten more on the topic than you know. Go out and educate yourself, and then we can have a discussion on it.

I can't debate you because you don't know what you're talking about!  I've forgotten more on the topic than you know.  Go out and educate yourself, and then we can have a discussion on it.

499419[/snapback]

Ok Narcissus boy, I think you have been hanging around Dupont Circle too long with all the other know-it-alls.

Or maybe - just maybe - I'm not a narcissist, I've just studied that sh-- for a quarter-century. 

Nah, can't be.  I can't possibly know more about it than you.  And I'm a narcissist...?  :wacko:

499949[/snapback]

Good try Tom, al-Qaida has not been around for that long.