The New NHL

meazza

How is the attendance in the New NHL. I'm curious to know if the new rules has brought in an interest by American fans that didn't really have much interest in the NHL before the strike... for example, I know that the Canadian teams are doing well in attendance and teams like Colorado, NYC and Detroit as well but how are the other teams doing in terms of results from promotions.. like TB Atlanta Phoenix and so on?

How is the attendance in the New NHL.  I'm curious to know if the new rules has brought in an interest by American fans that didn't really have much interest in the NHL before the strike... for example, I know that the Canadian teams are doing well in attendance and teams like Colorado, NYC and Detroit as well but how are the other teams doing in terms of results from promotions.. like TB Atlanta Phoenix and so on?

495573[/snapback]

The buzz down here in Atlanta about the Thrashers is more robust than I would have expected. In fact, their (whatever-HL) team, the Gwinnett Gladiators, is a pretty decent draw, too. This area down here is weird when it comes to sports, so I have to say I'm kinda surprised. They love everything to do with college football, tend to be bandwagon jumpers when it comes to the Falcons, love the Braves but have become bored with them, and apparently are pretty high on hockey.

The buzz down here in Atlanta about the Thrashers is more robust than I would have expected. In fact, their (whatever-HL) team, the Gwinnett Gladiators, is a pretty decent draw, too. This area down here is weird when it comes to sports, so I have to say I'm kinda surprised. They love everything to do with college football, tend to be bandwagon jumpers when it comes to the Falcons, love the Braves but have become bored with them, and apparently are pretty high on hockey.

495576[/snapback]

why did u guys trade heatley :)

why did u guys trade heatley  :flirt:

495579[/snapback]

He kept asking the rest of the players if they "needed a lift" and it was beginning to freak everyone out.... :)

He kept asking the rest of the players if they "needed a lift" and it was beginning to freak everyone out.... :)

495585[/snapback]

i drafted him 1st overall, a day later the guy smashes his ferrari, the owners of the pool gimme a compensation pick, alexei zholtok i believe, he died :S im bad luck

495576[/snapback]

I always get the feeling I'm sharing the stadium with 69,999 people watching the game on "Corporate Courtesy Tickets." It's more of a family outing than a trip to the game.

The GA dome is really in a crappy area of town, though. That's probably one reason. You'll get asked to "spare some change" 15 times between the parking lot you choose and the dome.

Seen a guy shoot up another's car about 2 blocks from there a few years back.

-Jeff

The GA dome is really in a crappy area of town, though.  That's probably one reason.  You'll get asked to "spare some change" 15 times between the parking lot you choose and the dome.

Seen a guy shoot up another's car about 2 blocks from there a few years back.

-Jeff

495615[/snapback]

LOL.....so true.....I tell you what, the first time I went to the GA Dome (2000), I was really psyched cause the last NFL game I had been to was the Bills/Vikes in '97. Now having been to many Bills games and taken part in the best tailgating anywhere on God's green earth, I have to say that my first Falcon experience was less than inspiring. They do have the little booths and activities outside of the Dome, but wow.....what a long way and a far cry from Orchard Park. Turner Field is another story.....I LOVE going there for a game. Who knows....maybe they'll end up pursuing that open air stadium up off 400 or wherever they were talking about putting it.....THAT might have some potential.

I believe that there are some that still have the lockout hangover whereas others like myself are just glad to see professional hockey again. I like some of the changes, like the wide open game but I don't like others such as not having the Sabres visit out on the West Coast. I am glad to see Sidney Crosby. Once the rest of the league sees Crosby a few times it certainly should boost overall attendance. He had this give and go, two on one breakaway goal off of a Lemieux pass against the Islanders the other night, it was simply incredible.

Articles with reference to NHL and specific team attendance:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051105/1047347.asp

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/ar...nsider1106.html

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...93064&t=TS_Home

Without doing any research I do know that the month of October was record setting for attendence in the NHL. Also, all rinks are averaging 94 perecent capacity. This off of data read by the Sharks announcing team(pretty reliable btw) and not by any digging on my part.

i drafted him 1st overall, a day later the guy smashes his ferrari, the owners of the pool gimme a compensation pick, alexei zholtok i believe, he died :S im bad luck

495595[/snapback]

Whatever you do, don't take Hull or Hasek! :doh:

CW